Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member wl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    100

    Transporter newbie

    I am picking up a SlimDevices Transporter tomorrow, after pining for one for many years...

    I have 2 Touch, 2 Classic, 3 Radios and a Boom, so a long time fan and still investing in Squeezebox, they rate as one of the best bits of Technology I have ever bought into. Most of this loyalty is due to the community and the fantastic commitments of the software writers around here. Thank you all. ��

    My first Question is
    1. Is the Audiophiles Section the correct place for Transporter questions - all the other devices seem to have their own section.?

    2. Can someone list out anything to look out for when inspecting the device? I’m keen to check the VFD displays for burnout, anything else?

    3. Which are agreed best connections to output from the unit?

    My setup
    I have a Denon X7200WA AVR, which is used in a dedicated cinema setup. A Touch currently uses a Coax Digital cable as an Input. The Denon outputs with UNbalanced [EDIT] RCA connections to MiniDSP DDRC88BM with Dirac audio processing for Room Eq, before going to separate Power Amplifiers to drive my speakers.

    My priority isn’t Music really, but would like to understand if there is any advantage in setting up the Transporter in a particular way.

    Example - My MiniDSP converts Analogue to Digital and back to Analogue again - so does this negate the Transporter in any way?

    I am not an Audiophile, but want to eek any obvious advantage if possible. Any comments and feedback appreciated....thanks.
    Last edited by wl1; 2019-03-11 at 16:09.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,373
    Quote Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
    I am picking up a SlimDevices Transporter tomorrow, after pining for one for many years...

    I have 2 Touch, 2 Classic, 3 Radios and a Boom, so a long time fan and still investing in Squeezebox, they rate as one of the best bits of Technology I have ever bought into. Most of this loyalty is due to the community and the fantastic commitments of the software writers around here. Thank you all. 👍

    My first Question is
    1. Is the Audiophiles Section the correct place for Transporter questions - all the other devices seem to have their own section.?

    2. Can someone list out anything to look out for when inspecting the device? I’m keen to check the VFD displays for burnout, anything else?

    3. Which are agreed best connections to output from the unit?

    My setup
    I have a Denon X7200WA AVR, which is used in a dedicated cinema setup. A Touch currently uses a Coax Digital cable as an Input. The Denon outputs with balanced RCA connections to MiniDSP DDRC88BM with Dirac audio processing for Room Eq, before going to separate Power Amplifiers to drive my speakers.

    My priority isn’t Music really, but would like to understand if there is any advantage in setting up the Transporter in a particular way.

    Example - My MiniDSP converts Analogue to Digital and back to Analogue again - so does this negate the Transporter in any way?

    I am not an Audiophile, but want to eek any obvious advantage if possible. Any comments and feedback appreciated....thanks.
    yes, this seems to be the default transporter forum.

    Regarding connections, you really do NOT want to feed your transporter into your system in a way which converts from analog to digital then back to analog (i.e., don't use your miniDSP). You can use the digital out of the Transporter (S/PDIF or Optical) direct to your preamp and then it will avoid the analog>digital>analog transformation. HOWEVER, this will not use the Transporter's DAC which is one of the main reasons I like the Transporter.

    Personally, I use the Transporter's DAC, by having the Balanced analog outs of the Transporter connecting to the Balanced analog inputs of my pre-amp.

    On the otherhand, just set it up the way you think is best for you and give it a listen. Maybe the room EQ is more valuable than use of Transporter's DAC. But if I was feeding some other DAC, I'd use S/PDIF or optical out of Transporter.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Watford, UK
    Posts
    1,877
    Quote Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
    3. Which are agreed best connections to output from the unit?
    To benefit most from a TP you should be using the balanced analogue output into a balanced amp.
    If you use digital out into an external DAC, you may as well use a Squeezebox or a Touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
    The Denon outputs with balanced RCA connections
    RCA connections can't be balanced. You need 3 wires for balanced, and RCA connectors only have 2.
    Balanced signals typically use XLR plugs or 1/4" TRS jacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
    Example - My MiniDSP converts Analogue to Digital and back to Analogue again - so does this negate the Transporter in any way?
    Absolutely it will.
    Does your MiniDSP have digital I/O? If it does then you can insert it into the Transporter's effects loop. That way you can apply the room correction and still feed the signal through the TP's DAC.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

  4. #4
    Senior Member wl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    yes, this seems to be the default transporter forum.

    Regarding connections, you really do NOT want to feed your transporter into your system in a way which converts from analog to digital then back to analog (i.e., don't use your miniDSP). You can use the digital out of the Transporter (S/PDIF or Optical) direct to your preamp and then it will avoid the analog>digital>analog transformation. HOWEVER, this will not use the Transporter's DAC which is one of the main reasons I like the Transporter.

    Personally, I use the Transporter's DAC, by having the Balanced analog outs of the Transporter connecting to the Balanced analog inputs of my pre-amp.

    On the otherhand, just set it up the way you think is best for you and give it a listen. Maybe the room EQ is more valuable than use of Transporter's DAC. But if I was feeding some other DAC, I'd use S/PDIF or optical out of Transporter.
    Thanks for the quick response, I guess I will have to have a play.

    The MiniDSP room eq is a big part of my system, but I am aware the double conversion might be negative in this application. I do have another option, so might try that and compare (it has other disadvantages though). If I go down the Digital signal into my AVR, which is preferred? I recall reading here the designer said one was better than the other (coaxial or optical)?

  5. #5
    Senior Member wl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    To benefit most from a TP you should be using the balanced analogue output into a balanced amp.
    If you use digital out into an external DAC, you may as well use a Squeezebox or a Touch.

    RCA connections can't be balanced. You need 3 wires for balanced, and RCA connectors only have 2.
    Balanced signals typically use XLR plugs or 1/4" TRS jacks.

    Absolutely it will.
    Does your MiniDSP have digital I/O? If it does then you can insert it into the Transporter's effects loop. That way you can apply the room correction and still feed the signal through the TP's DAC.
    Sorry, I did mean to say unbalanced RCA.....

    I’ll set this up in my cinema room to start with, as I spent most time down there. But maybe to get the best out of this I could set it up in another room properly without the compromises....thanks for your comments. Food for thought in the next few days...
    Last edited by wl1; 2019-03-11 at 16:09.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,373
    Quote Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response, I guess I will have to have a play.

    The MiniDSP room eq is a big part of my system, but I am aware the double conversion might be negative in this application. I do have another option, so might try that and compare (it has other disadvantages though). If I go down the Digital signal into my AVR, which is preferred? I recall reading here the designer said one was better than the other (coaxial or optical)?
    My recollection is that he (Sean) thought the S/PDIF or Optical was better than the AES/EBU. See:
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/archi...p/t-80480.html
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  7. #7
    Senior Member wl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    100
    I picked it up ok, all seems fine.

    Does the Transporter have squishy rubber feet? I’m not sure these ones are original as they look poor quality. And the Remote that came with it wasn’t backlit.

    Still happy with it though. Got it wired in and working. Just need to play with the various ways of connecting this in my system now. Thanks for the help - much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,373
    the feet are large rubber feet....about 1 1/4 inch wide. Seem hard rubber not too soft. can't recall about the remote. I've never actually used my remotes. I use other means of controlling (ipeng on ios smart things or laptop).
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    394
    I too am about to take possession of a Transporter. It's going into my main, living room system which is amplified by a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum. This amplifier does not have XLR inputs. Is my best bet to go XLR-out on the Transporter to RCA-in on the Rogue, or is there no advantage to this, over simply going RCA to RCA in this configuration?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,373
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    I too am about to take possession of a Transporter. It's going into my main, living room system which is amplified by a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum. This amplifier does not have XLR inputs. Is my best bet to go XLR-out on the Transporter to RCA-in on the Rogue, or is there no advantage to this, over simply going RCA to RCA in this configuration?
    just go RCA to RCA.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •