Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    I've had a Transporter since 2006, and in all that time I think I may have used the knob perhaps half a dozen times, and then only out of idle curiosity.

As well as the spare display you say you've already bought, it might be sensible to have a spare of one of the internal power supplies, which are known to be a possible point of failure. Mine needed to be replaced after about 10 years. They are a simple drop-in replacement. I don't know where you're based; here in the UK they can be sourced here: https://www.rapidonline.com/powerpax...c-2-3a-85-2251
    I too bought one of the replacement internal power supplies. It was simple to replace. Open case, unplug, then plugin. There's a thread on this forum about this, with pictures, etc. Mine needed replacement after about 10 years as well. I bought 3 replacements (the part was very cheap and small....shipping was the highest part of cost and didn't change with 3 units vs 1 unit).
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    I've had a Transporter since 2006, and in all that time I think I may have used the knob perhaps half a dozen times, and then only out of idle curiosity.
    It depends a bit on your setup though... Like yourself, I have an early release transporter, and didn't use the knob at all for a long time. However, in my current rack layout, it's much higher, just below the pre-amp, and I find myself using it more and more. My wife will stand 2 feet in front of it and use the remote, but I just twist the knob, click, twist, click go....

It's an ergonomics thing. When it was 20 inches off the floor, in a low rack, it didn't get used. Right now, it's at about a 4ft height, comfortable to use, so I use it!

Cheers, Dave
    Audiophile wish list: Zero Distortion, Infinite Signal to Noise Ratio, and a Bandwidth from DC to Daylight