Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    There are other speakers which will work:

Libratone Zipp (including the Mini) - has both airplay and upnp, so can be used with airplay bridge or upnpbridge excellent battery life. Also has bluetooth.

Google Mini or Home (no battery) - use castbridge plugin (easy to set up). Vice volume and mute works over LMS.

Sonos Play1 - uses upnpbridge

All options have the ability to set an equaliser feature (using the original app) which carries over to LMS.
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the replies. So many options in moving on from the Boom. (I still have one working Boom and love it, but it won't last so it's good to move on and in many cases upwards).

OK, so it is now a question of deciding which way to go. I'm in no hurry so will think about it.

I just have one more super-noob question that relates to the various plugins mentioned. I have never used a plugin in my 10 years in the SB enviroment. Anyway, my question is: how do I install or enable the relevant plugin, say, the airplay bridge? Do the plugins come ready packed with LMS; (I'm currently on the latest 7.9.1). I've noticed various plugins listed in the LMS web GUI and there is an option to enable the relevant plugin. Is that all one has to do? I realise there are threads on each plugin which gives more details, but in the first instance, say in relation to the airplay bridge, is it a question of just enabling the plugin which is already there somewhere in the LMS program running on my PC or Pi?

Yes - that is all that you have to do*

*sometimes things go wrong, especially if LMS is running on an unusual hardware/OS combination - but in that case this is an excellent support forum
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

One setup I've used with good success is using a "Y" adapter to feed both analog channels of an SB Classic (SB2, actually) into a single powered speaker.
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.com/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

So, you're saying I can plug my Touch directly into, say, powered computer speakers like an set of Creative Gigaworks, simply using a Y adapter and RCA cables? If so, yet another option.

Quote Originally Posted by chopinhauer View Post
    So, you're saying I can plug my Touch directly into, say, powered computer speakers like an set of Creative Gigaworks, simply using a Y adapter and RCA cables? If so, yet another option.
    You could also plug the speakers into the 3.5mm headphone socket.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chopinhauer View Post
    If you are looking at PC speakers then I'd look for USB Active Speakers - something like Alesis 320's or Behringer Media 40 - these have analogue in via RCA or 3.5mm but also have 2 way USB albeit some are limited to 16/44.1.

I have a pair of Ion Deskrockers - they are exactly the same as the Alesis as in the same speakers - plugged into a Raspberry Pi USB at a remote location I visit once a week. They produce a good sound. Via RCA these would work with anything except a Turntable where you might need a pre-amp. They are a big step up from Creative Gigaworks. Via USB they will also work with pretty much everything as no drivers are required.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

There these:

https://kantoaudio.com/product/yu4/

My friend swears by them and they have multiple inputs

Jeff
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

I use the RCA outs to active speakers. The Marshall Stanmore line is amazing. For stereo separation, AudioEngine A5+ speakers perform very well.
    LMS: SGC microJukebox running Sonicorbiter OS
    Control apps: Squeezelite-X on Win 10; Squeezer or Material web app on Android
    Players: Duet, Touch (two), Mac SqueezePlay, Win Squeezelite-X on laptop and HTPC

Quote Originally Posted by peterw View Post
    One setup I've used with good success is using a "Y" adapter to feed both analog channels of an SB Classic (SB2, actually) into a single powered speaker.
    Would this work for the Receiver in the SB Duet combo? I'm leaning towards using one of my many Duet Receivers instead of my spare Touch.

Given the smallness of the room and the fact that I don't play music loudly there I just want any-old cheapish powered speakers. Some of the suggested powered speakers are just too good (and too expensive) for the my purposes. On the other hand, if I do choose to spend upwards of $AUS300 for a more long-term and flexible solution then the Audio Pro C5s or the Liberatone Zipp seem more attractive options, especially when and if they become Airplay 2 ready.
    Last edited by chopinhauer; 2019-03-21 at 01:17.