Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slartibartfast
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by chopinhauer
    So, you're saying I can plug my Touch directly into, say, powered computer speakers like an set of Creative Gigaworks, simply using a Y adapter and RCA cables? If so, yet another option.
    You could also plug the speakers into the 3.5mm headphone socket.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
    Bedroom: Radio
    Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• d6jg
      • Feb 2011

So, you're saying I can plug my Touch directly into, say, powered computer speakers like an set of Creative Gigaworks, simply using a Y adapter and RCA cables? If so, yet another option.
      If you are looking at PC speakers then I'd look for USB Active Speakers - something like Alesis 320's or Behringer Media 40 - these have analogue in via RCA or 3.5mm but also have 2 way USB albeit some are limited to 16/44.1.

I have a pair of Ion Deskrockers - they are exactly the same as the Alesis as in the same speakers - plugged into a Raspberry Pi USB at a remote location I visit once a week. They produce a good sound. Via RCA these would work with anything except a Turntable where you might need a pre-amp. They are a big step up from Creative Gigaworks. Via USB they will also work with pretty much everything as no drivers are required.
      Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
      Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
      Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
      Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
      Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
      Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
      Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• Jeff07971
        • Aug 2011

There these:

Featuring carefully designed 4" Kevlar drivers and 1" silk dome tweeters, YU4 powered speakers effortlessly fill your room with rich, spacious sound.

My friend swears by them and they have multiple inputs

Jeff
        sigpic
        Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

• left channel
          • Mar 2018

I use the RCA outs to active speakers. The Marshall Stanmore line is amazing. For stereo separation, AudioEngine A5+ speakers perform very well.
          LMS: SGC microJukebox running Sonicorbiter OS
          Control apps: Squeezelite-X on Win 10; Squeezer or Material web app on Android
          Players: Duet, Touch (two), Mac SqueezePlay, Win Squeezelite-X on laptop and HTPC

Comment

• chopinhauer
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by peterw
            One setup I've used with good success is using a "Y" adapter to feed both analog channels of an SB Classic (SB2, actually) into a single powered speaker.
            Would this work for the Receiver in the SB Duet combo? I'm leaning towards using one of my many Duet Receivers instead of my spare Touch.

Given the smallness of the room and the fact that I don't play music loudly there I just want any-old cheapish powered speakers. Some of the suggested powered speakers are just too good (and too expensive) for the my purposes. On the other hand, if I do choose to spend upwards of $AUS300 for a more long-term and flexible solution then the Audio Pro C5s or the Liberatone Zipp seem more attractive options, especially when and if they become Airplay 2 ready.
            Last edited by chopinhauer; 2019-03-21, 09:17.

Comment

• sleepysurf
              • Apr 2005

Take a look at the Vanatoo Transparent Zero's... https://www.amazon.com/Vanatoo-Trans...web_8937008011

They are fully active, with built-in Class D amp, DAC, Bluetooth, remote, and every conceivable connection option. Can even pair them with a small sub. They provide audiophile-grade sound at an entry level price.
              Main system: Touch > Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB > Conrad-Johnson CT-5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expression 13A's. Audience AU24e cables. Secondary systems elsewhere in home: 1- Boom, 2- SB3's, and 2- SB Radio's. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society

Comment

• peterw
                • Oct 2005

Would this work for the Receiver in the SB Duet combo? I'm leaning towards using one of my many Duet Receivers instead of my spare Touch.
                I would expect it to work, but having done a bunch more Googling, apparently it depends on the player device -- most modern devices handling this well, but some suffering damage from shorting L+ and R+.

I guess @seanadams isn't gonna jump in and help us out. :-(

Another option, depending on your LMS server, might be using a custom-convert.conf file to have LMS transcode everything for the Receiver down to mono. I expect that wouldn't work so well with synchronized playback.

Yet another might be configuring your spare Touch to play mono. At its heart, the Touch is a Linux system using the ALSA audio APIs, so you might be able to configure ALSA to always output mono. This would be your safest bet -- synchronized playback should be fine, no extra burden on LMS... toughest part might be figuring out how to configure it, as Touch is likely using a pretty old version of alsa.
                owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
                (which used to reside at www. tux.org/~peterw/)
                Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
                Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
                FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
                SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Comment

• agbagb
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by slartibartfast
                  You could also plug the speakers into the 3.5mm headphone socket.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've got multiple SB installations, some using a pretty high-end amp and speaker system. But, you know, one of my very favorite "as-listened-to" systems is exceptionally simple, and cheap - a Touch driving via 3.5mm jack a very old JBL Spot computer speaker system: two tiny mains-powered speakers and a larger bass unit. Those Spots were around 100 US, but have been out of production for years. They were and are so well-regarded and popular that they are still relatively easy to find on-line at modest prices (sometimes unused new/old stock). Here's a original BestBuy webpage, just for details and reviews:

They fill a 50 square meter room with a powerful and accurate sound. Amazing. And many an audiophile friend at first thinks they are listening to something I've probably spent a small fortune on.

I actually do have a spare set of Spots, but I'm holding on to them.....
                  Gary Brown
                  Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 - 1700745578
                  Win11
                  Control: MaterialSkin Web GUI Firefox; MaterialSkin app on Android phones / pads

in Paris, France:-
                  Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh
                  External SSDs, WiFi Laptop
                  1 x Touch Wireless (8.0.1-r16916)
                  1 x SB Radio Wireless (8.0.1-r16924)
                  [+ 3 spare Touch, 3 spare Radio, 2 x SqueezeAMP]

Comment

• peterw
                    • Oct 2005

chopinhauer, here's your recipe, based on Touch firmware 7.8.0 r16754 and this alsa suggestion. Only briefly tested, and only with the analog outputs, this does seem to route all sound to the left channel. (To send to the right channel you should only need to change the second digits from "0" to "1" and "2" to "3", e.g. "ttable 0.1 1".)

Enable remote login from the Settings > Advanced menu.
                    SSH in as root
                    make a backup copy of /etc/asound.conf for good measure:
                    Code:
                    cp /etc/asound.conf /etc/asound.conf.bak
                    edit asound.conf (I hope you know how to use the 'vi' editor), adding/inserting the boldfaced lines below

Code:
                    pcm.plugmulti {
                            type plug;
                            slave.pcm "multi";
                            route_policy duplicate;
                            [b]ttable.0.0 1;
                            ttable.1.0 1;
                            ttable.0.2 1;
                            ttable.1.2 1;[/b]
                    }
                    Restart the Touch application:
                    Code:
                    /etc/init.d/squeezeplay restart
                    If that doesn't work, reboot the whole Touch:
                    Code:
                    reboot
                    Done. Assuming all is well, return to Settings > Advanced and disable remote login.

To undo the change you can edit again, or replace asound.conf with your backup copy, or just factory reset to wipe out the overlay filesystem where your modified asound.conf resides.
                    Last edited by peterw; 2019-03-29, 23:29. Reason: typo
                    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
                    (which used to reside at www. tux.org/~peterw/)
                    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
                    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
                    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
                    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Comment

• chopinhauer
                      • Aug 2009

Thanks for the last few replies.

I've actually solved my issue by going another route that still stays within the Squeezebox environment.

And my solution was extremely cheap and elegant. I simply purchased the SB Player app for my phone and then used this to access LMS and my library via wifi and send it to my UE Boom 1 in my bedroom via bluetooth from my phone. Since I already had the Boom and it wasnt being used much it cost me nothing. The result I get the full functionality of LMS including syncing my players with sound superior to my SB Boom. The SB Player app works well with my Squeeze Ctrl app as they are by same developer

Maybe one day when Logitech UE further develop their Blast range of wifi speakers so they can use airplay I can dispense with SB Player and bluetooth, but until then this works brilliantly and with no cables or power adapters (which is another advantage over the SB Boom).

Comment

Working...