Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

barely a clue,, Squeeze basics needed

Hello all, Essentially have always listened to FM radio via analog equipment and move to the boonies require internet listening. Actually have had a couple of Grace tuners for some years now as alternative when out of town .. Only now have I noticed that even the Grace will show higher bit stream than MP3 when it is available. Ive tried 2 current production "tuners" 1 is actually network player.. and neither will stream higher than 128. Even the old Grace will stream a particular station I listen to at 192kbps.
    So, question-- I have heard of Squeezebox for probably close to 15 yrs but never knew what they were .. all analog systems in the house.
    Will Squeezebox let me choose higher bit stream for internet radio if that higher stream is available?
    apparently,, a lot of these new production brands like Denon 800NE utilize 3rd party apps like "Tune in" which stream only at 128.
    Also, anyone notice how Grace Solo tuner appears remarkably similar in chassis style to the Squeezebox?
    to recap--im looking for a system that will enable me to choose higher bit stream if one does indeed exist. Apps that put together music playlists are not what I want. Simply want to access real FM stations in real time.
    thanks for any help I can get .

let me make try and make it brief and specific

Being no responses to my question maybe I need to be more specific

I just need to know whether squeezebox when accessing an internet fm station the user is able to choose what bit stream they would like to use if in fact multiple streams are available from a particular station. There are stations that stream below a 100kbps and stations that stream above 300 even.
    It would appear that most all the units out there these days are using 3rd party apps such as "tune in" which apparently is set up to stream internet radio no more than 128kbps. Even more baffling is reading the manual for many brands out there and the info regarding internet radio is simply--"access thousands of internet radio station" period. It would seem that most all the efforts have been directed in creating and selling pay for apps for hi res audio files. I have checked the Vtuner app site and they actually have a list of stations and what bit they are streaming at. Ah,, appears this app is available to manufacturers to install in their units. At least thats what it seems for the moment.
    Last edited by skiroe; 2019-05-05 at 13:51.

Quote Originally Posted by skiroe View Post
    Being no responses to my question maybe I need to be more specific

I just need to know whether squeezebox when accessing an internet fm station the user is able to choose what bit stream they would like to use if in fact multiple streams are available from a particular station. There are stations that stream below a 100kbps and stations that stream above 300 even.
    It would appear that most all the units out there these days are using 3rd party apps such as "tune in" which apparently is set up to stream internet radio no more than 128kbps. Even more baffling is reading the manual for many brands out there and the info regarding internet radio is simply--"access thousands of internet radio station" period. It would seem that most all the efforts have been directed in creating and selling pay for apps for hi res audio files. I have checked the Vtuner app site and they actually have a list of stations and what bit they are streaming at. So, seems like I may be finding a solution,, just dawned on me. Install this app in the Squeezebox. Is that possible? Have to look again. Might well be a pay for app.
    The answer is not simple and you have given no examples of problem stations.

For basic http MP3 and AAC streaming - many station have multiple URLs - each with a different rate - it is a case of playing the right URL.

Some services only supply higher rate when access through their web or apps (i.e make sure you see advertising) - sometime these URLS may be found but depends on the station.

Some stations use newer protocol such as HLS and DASH which have multiple rates which can be chosen at a playing time - you'll need a LMS system as well as player and a plugin .

Some service have premium services which require login and maybe a paid subscription - again need LMS and a plugin.

The default source for radio stations to LMS/Squeezeboxes is TuneIn.
    I don't think that the user can directly influence which of the various stream URLs that TuneIn provides can be influenced (except for codec type).

However, a user can use other sources for stream URLs and they might well make the different bitrates selectable by using different station names.
    You can also directly enter a stream URL to be played - and save it as a Favorite for re-use.

If you give an example of a few of the stations that you want to listen to then people will probably be able to tell you which rates they stream at by default with LMS and possibly the stream URL to force a request for highest available bitrate.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

appreciate very much the info. my minuscule knowledge on the subject results in my revealing little of what Im looking for. I felt the URL had something to do with it. Does Duet enable search by URL? Recently read about LMS and of course am overloaded.. What is it again?

I have been strictly analog all these years with only a foray into CD or computer played music aside of course analog FM via vintage high gang restored tuners .. rooftop antenna,, el al.. living in major metro area with some of the best FM available likely in the country.

Have since moved to the boonies and now have had to make do with internet version of favorite stations. One station I listen to a lot depending on genre.. KFJC since has enabled 192 bitrate Even my old discontinued Grace will stream at 192 yet this Denon Im about to send back will only steam 128 via Tune in app. Apparently thats it according to Denon support

What about Squeezebox being discontinued such as Duet,,etc. where does that leave firmware updates?

I assume that not all units in the market place will let you select a station by entering a URL.. I would have to guess how to do that.. Would seem possibly done somehow if a controller app for a device enables one to do that or interfacing with computer?

The station I mentioned not problematic but this all came to light when I noticed this Denon streamed it at only 128 but the Grace at 192...initially the Grace showed both rates available that since has ceased. I think the station was doing upgrades and now may only stream at 192
    Last edited by skiroe; 2019-05-05 at 15:28.

I just tested this URL and it plays 192kbs on my various squeezeboxes.
    http://netcast.kfjc.org/kfjc-192k-aac

You don't have to have LMS to play many stations you have URLs for (for example the one above). You can simply to to:
    mysqueezebox.com
    create account, go to FAVORITES and paste the URL into a FAVORITE. Then with a squeezebox player, you can connect to mysqueezebox.com (without LMS) and play that favorite.

Yes, all Squeezebox players are discontinued and there will be no more firmware updates. But all work well and there are developments with plugins, etc. to keep things working.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

appreciate very much the info. my minuscule knowledge on the subject results in my revealing little of what Im looking for. I felt the URL had something to do with it. Does Duet enable search by URL? Recently read about LMS and of course am overloaded.. What is it again?
    You need to do some reading or perhaps just load up LMS on a PC and a soft player (also on a PC) to get a "feel". Then if it meets your needs - implement (e.g. raspberry pi, chromecast enabled speaker) or bouy a real hardware ware player which can have better audio outputs.

SB players are dumb. They need a server to send data to them. The server can either be in the cloud through a service called mysqueezebox.com or a local LMS server running on a PC or perhaps something like a raspbery pi (a Ç30 credit card size computer - less is possible).

I have been strictly analog all these years with only a foray into CD or computer played music aside of course analog FM via vintage high gang restored tuners .. rooftop antenna,, el al.. living in major metro area with some of the best FM available likely in the country.

Have since moved to the boonies and now have had to make do with internet version of favorite stations. One station I listen to a lot depending on genre.. KFJC since has enabled 192 bitrate Even my old discontinued Grace will stream at 192 yet this Denon Im about to send back will only steam 128 via Tune in app. Apparently thats it according to Denon support
    Tune-in are a broker /directory -users ask for an URL for station - they give it. There may be "better" URLS but Tune-in will just give a compatible one.

The problem may not be Denon - it may be the directory service.

Can you enter custom or favorite URLs into the Denon ? Below are the URLs for kFJC (as show here https://kfjc.org/listen/ )

192kbps AAC https://kfjc.org/listen/netcast/kfjc_192.m3u
    128kbps MP3 https://kfjc.org/listen/netcast/kfjc_128.m3u
    32kbps MP3 https://kfjc.org/listen/netcast/kfjc_32.m3u

If problem is with the Denon perhaps it cannot play AAC

What about Squeezebox being discontinued such as Duet,,etc. where does that leave firmware updates?
    They have been discontinued in 2012 - 7 years ago. There have been no firmware updates since then. The intelligence is in the server LMS or mysqueezebox.com - it is updated by the community now. Mysqueezebox.com is provided by Logitech so in theory it can stop at any time.

How to add custom URL to Tune-in servuice used with Denon

https://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/an...4wYlp3JTIxJTIx

thanks again for such good pertinent info. I am sending Denon back anyway as it is limited considering the cost. Does not even have digital out to use my own DAC.. Goes to show you though--Denon support didn't want to be bothered. Could of told me that URL could be loaded. Yes,, I need to read up more on it.. Gets a bit brain squeezing. Just missed a Duet on Ebay.. sold for 55.. Was watching in last 45 seconds and reluctant to pull the trigger. Just gets a bit overwhelming to have to set up a totally unfamiliar system with so much else going on around here .. Moving away from what has now become my home town after I leave.. losing what made it a good place to live.. Aside from the massive population density.. not to mention traffic. Oh well, 70's are long gone. Not to mention the 60's . :roll eyes:

BPA , would you like to elaborate on real hardware player,, ,, SB server based?
    Last edited by skiroe; 2019-05-05 at 17:39.

thanks again for such good pertinent info. I am sending Denon back anyway as it is limited considering the cost. Does not even have digital out to use my own DAC.. Goes to show you though--Denon support didn't want to be bothered. Could of told me that URL could be loaded. Yes,, I need to read up more on it.. Gets a bit brain squeezing. Just missed a Duet on Ebay.. sold for 55.. Was watching in last 45 seconds and reluctant to pull the trigger. Just gets a bit overwhelming to have to set up a totally unfamiliar system with so much else going on around here .. Moving away from what has now become my home town after I leave.. losing what made it a good place to live.. Aside from the massive population density.. not to mention traffic. Oh well, 70's are long gone. Not to mention the 60's . :roll eyes:

BPA , would you like to elaborate on real hardware player,, ,, SB server based?
    I am not BPA, but if you are interested in a Raspberry Pi player, see this thread: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...plete-beginner