Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mono sound

Mono sound

Hi, I have built a weather resistant pCP for a covered patio, all good.
    A little fiddling was required to get the Output settings and the Alsa ttable map to work but achieved using the web gui.
    However adding in the 10 band eq removes the mono setting.
    Has anybody got any experience they are willing to share on this?

Strebor

Hi Strebor

When you enable equal, you overwrite asound.conf. You need to edit that manually - it's in /etc. Don't forgot to do a backup on the main page once you've changed it.

You need to change pcm.equal section to

pcm.equal {
    type plug;
    slave.pcm plugequal;
    ttable {
    0.0 0.5 # L(0) to L(0) at 0.5 volume
    1.0 0.5 # R(1) to L(0) at 0.5 volume

0.1 0.5 # L(0) to R(1) at 0.5 Volume
    1.1 0.5 # R(1) to R(1) at 0.5 Volume
    }
    }

i.e. add the ttable section to remap the sound.

pete S

Quote Originally Posted by psketch View Post
    Hi Strebor

When you enable equal, you overwrite asound.conf. You need to edit that manually

i.e. add the ttable section to remap the sound.

pete S
    Thanks Pete, now where did I put that vi cheat sheet :-)

Regards Strebor

Really easy ... especially if you use Putty to copy/paste

vi file
    move cursor to where you want the new stuff inserted
    press
    i
    paste in the text
    esc (Esc key)
    :wq

If you make a mistake then easy way out ....
    esc
    :q!
    (means ... command coming next .... quit ... and don't ask me if I am sure
    and do it all again
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

... or the way I do it normally - install bitvise SSH client, which is handy for other things anyway - and just open the file in notepad++ or vs code, or any other editor you trust not to leave anything messy in the file

That's what you get for asking a windows person how to edit a linux file ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by psketch View Post
    ... or the way I do it normally - install bitvise SSH client, which is handy for other things anyway - and just open the file in notepad++ or vs code, or any other editor you trust not to leave anything messy in the file

That's what you get for asking a windows person how to edit a linux file ;-)
    Thank you both for concerns but I've been unhappily editing files in vi for about thirty years, I long ago painfully discovered that the most useful vi command is cp never edit before copying( how do you spell hipocrite ??)

I've not had a problem with windows editing of nix files since I buried that W95 CD at the bottom of the garden with a big rock on top, there i go again being flippant.
    Thanks once again for the help in this forum, such a brilliant project and a forum that is a pleasure to dip into.

Bonne continuation...strebor

Quote Originally Posted by strebor56 View Post
    I've not had a problem with windows editing of nix files since I buried that W95 CD at the bottom of the garden with a big rock on top, there i go again being flippant.
    Bonne continuation...strebor
    Hopefully you preserved one of the best thing on that Win95 CD. There's a music video titled Good Times by Edie Brickell (Paul Simon's wife), it's quite good. I thought it was "All about the Music".
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.1.2 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.1.2 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Can't get mono downmix to work

I'm having trouble getting mono output to work on my set up. I'm blindly following instructions with no actual understanding, so please bear with me...

I have a Kef egg speaker (HTS2001.2). I'm using a Pi Zero with a hifiberry miniamp to drive the speaker and have piCorePlayer running. This is my third pi/piCorePlayer set up, but the only one that needs to be mono.

The speaker is connected to the right channel and the left channel is not connected.

Music and radio streaming play fine, but I'm only getting the right channel output (obviously). If I use a stereo test track, I can here the right, but the left is silent.

I've tried using the Asound beta tab in piCorePlayer to choose mono output, but it doesn't seem to change anything. On that tab, it says the "Output Settings" should be blank and to change them on the Squeezelite Settings tab. I have tried every possible setting here in combination with many Asound settings but, when I write the updated file, either a) it makes no difference, or b) Squeezelite fails to start.

What I want is a downmix of both channels to mono on the RHS and no output on the LHS.

I've also tried editing the asound.conf file manually in many ways. Here is my most recent attempt:

Code:
    # default - Generated by piCorePlayer
    pcm.!default {
       # default
       type plug;
       slave.pcm ":0,0";
    }

pcm.pcpinput {
       type hw
       card ALSA
       device 0
    }

#---ALSA EQ Below--------
    pcm.sound_device {
       type plug
       slave.pcm {
          type hw
          card ALSA
          device 0
       }
    }

ctl.equal {
       type equal;
       controls "/home/tc/.alsaequal.bin"
       library "/usr/local/lib/ladspa/caps.so"
    }

pcm.plugequal {
       type equal;
       slave.pcm "sound_device";
       controls "/home/tc/.alsaequal.bin"
       library "/usr/local/lib/ladspa/caps.so"
    }

pcm.equal {
       type plug;
       slave.pcm plugequal;
       ttable {
       0.0 0.5 # L(0) to L(0) at 0.5 volume
       1.0 0.5 # R(1) to L(0) at 0.5 volume

0.1 0.5 # L(0) to R(1) at 0.5 volume
       1.1 0.5 # R(1) to R(1) at 0.5 volume
       }
    }
    I don't know what to try next...

Hi Tim

I think your problem may be different to strebor's original one. He was using the 10 band equaliser on the tweaks page, which will set the output device on the squeezelite page to "equal". However, you then can't use the mono setting on the Extras/Asound page - both things want to change the asound.conf file and the UI isn't setup to do that - you have to change it manually.

However, if you're not using the equaliser, you shouldn't need to manually edit the asound.conf. The changes you've made below to the conf won't do anything btw - you're telling the equaliser to play in mono, but you're not using the equaliser, so nothing's going to happen there.

Your slave.pcm line looks wrong to me - you're not telling it what device to use - I would expect hw:0,0 for example. TBH, I'm not completely sure if the mono default works nowadays - this isn't really a mainstream area of pcp. What output device are you using normally - i.e. when squeezelite is running and you're just getting mono, and what do you see in the available devices listed?

pete S

Hi psketch,

I'm not surprised I'm doing it wrong...!

Normally (ie by default, before I started doing anything to mess things up) the output device was specified as hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry. The default setting plays stereo, but I only have one speaker connected to the right channel. All I want to do is down mix both channels into a single mono output on the right channel. I don't need anything on the left channel - nothing is connected to it.

I thought I needed to use asound.conf to effect the down-mix, but it turns out I've no idea how. I've tried using the asound tab in pcp, and I've tried manually editing asound.conf via putty. There is a suggestion (in another thread) based on a post on the hifiberry website. I've tried that too, but couldn't do that right either...

I've looked at the documentation for asound but it is much too complex for me to understand, I'm afraid.

Thanks,

Tim