Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

replacement for Vortexbox -suggestions

Hi all,

After some suggestions.. It appears that VB is pretty much dead as a platform and I am looking at alternatives. My needs are simple: LMS, Plex, Pihole. Nice: Transmission, time capsule, squeezelite.

Install is to go on to a headless NUC with just a single HD - I ideally would like to run the OS on a USB stick and leave the internal HD for media only.

I have done some research and have come up with daphile (not suitable), OpenMediaVault, ap-linux.com and snakeoil-os.net. Snakeoil is looking good and I plan to soon test it further. Are there any other distros that I should be looking at ?

davemal, I share your concern about Vortexbox. It is such a convenient no-frills distro for LMS that I'm sticking with it but keeping an eye out for other platforms.
    I have updated to Fedora 27 (https://www.vortexbox.org/forum/main...releases/page3) and all the LMS plugins just work - MusicIP, InguzEQ, Music Artist Info etc. Plex new versions also just work on Fedora 27.

I use Clonezilla to load new hardware builds as the old Vortexbox USB install doesn't recognize the new hardware.

Please report your experience with Snakeoil-Os. From their web site it appears to be a cut down Ubuntu distro but no mention of LMS or MusicIP that I could see.
    A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
    Three things I hate in life :
    1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

Thanks Wirrunna,

Yes cut down version of Ubuntu. LMS (& various servers/players) are checkbox options. I expect that apps such as MusicIP would have to be installed from the shell...

I have run it Live in a VM and works great for LMS duties. Havent tried to install anything else on it yet.

Iím going to keep an eye on this thread as Iíd like to upgrade my VB2.4 at some stage and although you can manually upgrade to a Fedora 27/VB2.5 setup there is not much gained by doing (except some security patches which Iíd only worry about if my VB was exposed externally but itís not).
    The other contender seems to be daphile but Iím not sure a) whatís under the hood or b) whether it is being actively maintained.
    I like VBs all in one ripper/LMS and Plex nature especially as mine is hacked to play from and rip straight to my NAS but I know that at some point it will become totally out of date.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

VortexBox still alive - https://www.vortexbox.org/forum/main-forum/2209-vortexbox-2-5

1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

Thanks
    Just when you think itís never going to happen it does!
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

just thought that I would reply to this thread as there was some interest.

I was not able to get the new VB to work on my machine so I bit the bullet and gave snakeoil a good try. It is equivalent to VB in overall functionality. From a music viewpoint, there are more bundled options for both server and clients. I haven't tested sonics.

GUI is good though does not have 1-click buttons for backup/ripping/Plex/convert to MP3 etc. Snakeoil does not appear to have ripping built in (not a big deal for me atm). Backup and convert to MP3 I ran from CLI with VB anyway. A bookmark covers the Plex icon.

So apart from ripping I am not losing anything and gaining a distro with a developer who is open and responsive.

davemal, thank you for the update, I am also having trouble with the new VB release.

Do you use MusicIP ? VB's setup scripts make installing Plex, MusicIP etc really simple. JohnB has posted InguzEQ install instructions for Ubuntu that also works with VB.

What is the directory structure that SnakeOil uses? The VB use of Vol Groups makes adding extra storage simple, interested to see how SnakeOil handles that.

1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

Quote Originally Posted by Wirrunna View Post
    davemal, thank you for the update, I am also having trouble with the new VB release.

Do you use MusicIP ? VB's setup scripts make installing Plex, MusicIP etc really simple. JohnB has posted InguzEQ install instructions for Ubuntu that also works with VB.

What is the directory structure that SnakeOil uses? The VB use of Vol Groups makes adding extra storage simple, interested to see how SnakeOil handles that.

Sorry no I dont use MusicIP. Had to google it - I am not a playlist guy but it looks interesting.

The dir structure is /media for media (equivalent of /storage in VB). It is based on Ubuntu LTS.

I only use a single HD so havent needed to look at LVM/groups but doesnt appear to be installed by default. Looks like 'sudo apt install lvm2' would fix that.

Good luck.