Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Second-hand Radio not functioning

So, thought I'd buy a used Squeezebox Radio off ebay. Arrived today, but will not power on. According to the seller it was working two weeks ago. However, no matter what I do I cannot get it to switch on. I've tried:

• Various different sockets
    • Pressing the More ('+') key whilst switching the socket on
    • Long press of the power button (1s, 2s, 5s, 30s, 1minute!)
    • Repeated attempts at plugging the power connector into the radio

The seller did suggest I leave it plugged in to charge the battery - but I have checked and there is not battery in the compartment. Perhaps there's another internal one? Eitherway, its been plugged in for over 2hours, and still wont switch on.

Anything else I can try? Apart from opening it up - which I'm loathed todo, as because its non-functional I'm intending to chase a refund through ebay. However, would much prefer to just get it working!

[Edit] Hmm, after the 5th attempt this morning, it is now working. I'm guessing a connection has come loose in transport. Still, it now works - and more issues, and I'll open it up.
    Last edited by cpd73; 2019-03-02 at 04:03.

One of my Radios has an issue with the power inlet (since years): it's really hard to successfully plug the power connector into this Radio. I have to twist and move the connector slowly while plugging in and retry often until it succeeds. So I'm using it always plugged in and told the family members to never ever pull the connector from the Radio...

Edit: don't know about an additional internal battery, btw.

There is no internal battery.

Mine has only about 20 hours on it when I bought it used, and the power jack is very touchy. If I pick up the radio, sometimes it will turn off when the power cord gets disturbed. Take the thing apart (pry off the speaker grill and unscrew the body) and replace the power jack. IIRC its on its own little cable to the motherboard. Easy solder job.

It may be worth picking up a battery off ebay. These are easily installed.

Quote Originally Posted by cpd73 View Post
    Hmm, after the 5th attempt this morning, it is now working. I'm guessing a connection has come loose in transport. Still, it now works - and more issues, and I'll open it up.
    I have found my Radio which is not in daily use and which has no battery - will not power up if left unused for a few weeks. However, if plugged in for a good few hours - it will then power up OK. IIRC there maybe a large capacitor to backup alarm data - so I'm guessing that if this is fully discharged , radio is "slow" to power up.

Even is the explanation is not right, the behaviour is consistent with my radio.