Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

piCorePlayer --- switch $LANG to UTF8

Hi All,

got my picoreplayer installed on Raspberry Pi3+, playing music from /mnt/music, which is a ext4 filesystem, and largely works.

But:
    as soon as i import records with accents (`'^) in the filename, they turn up in the file system with ?? in the name instead of accents. Example: "Estampes II. La soirée dans Grenade.m4a" turns up as "Estampes II. La soir??e dans Grenade", "10 Children’s Corner II. Jimbo’s Lullaby.m4a" turns up as "Children???s Corner II. Jimbo???s Lullaby.m4a". Guess this will turn out true for danish, spanish, etc. titles, but haven't tried that yet. (Just seeing in the Preview that the board isn't happy with accents either. Sorry about that, but take my word, that the titles mentioned acually contain proper syntax ;-) )

So, i tried extending cmdline.txt with either LANG=de.DE_UTF8, de._DE_UTF8/UTF8, en.EN_UTF8, en.EN_UTF8/UTF8, us.US_UTF8 and us.US_UTF8/UTF8, wich are all in /usr/local/share/getlocale/SUPPORTED.

I tried employing getlocale.sh, which, run as "sudo getlocale.sh", doesn't seem to do anything, because the output is empty instead of "Now processing ... locale installed ...etc".

I know that changing the locale does not work witch DOS filesystems, but should work with libux filesystems (did that before with my linuxes).

Has anyone tried changing the locale before? How did you do that? Does anyone know how to get getlocale.sh to work? Are you playing "french titles" on piCore? How do you do that without the player complaining about broken paths?

Looking forward to your answers, perhaps some help.

Best Regards
    Matthias

when you run getlocale.sh it creates an extension called mylocale.tcz

You need to both specify LANG=xxxx on the command line and also make sure that mylocale.tcz is in onboot.lst.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Hi Paul,

thanks for your answer...

Creation of mylocale.tcz was my expectation, but getlocale.sh doesn't do this for me. If you have done that to your picoreplayer: did you set $LANG before running "sudo getlocale.sh (as i did)? Did the script actually answer with "Now processing..." and ask for the desired locale? Where did you get getlocale.sh? Did you install the esxtension getlocale.tcz as i did, or did you download it from somewhere else?

Regards
    Matthias

It will prompt you before it processes. I've done it a while ago, but only en.UTF8

piCorePlayer --- switch $LANG to UTF8

...thanks Paul,

so there is something wrong with getlocale.sh.

Has anyone any idea, how to get past this?

Thanks
    Matthias

Ill take a look, but it should not matter for LMS.

What is the file system type where your music is stored?

getlocale.sh works just fine for me. Are you sure you didn't run out of disk space when trying to add extensions?

... thanks Paul!

Apparently it DOES matter to LMS, since it doesn't find the file with the accents in it ;-)

Anyway, i got it fixed...

The problem is the command "dialog --file $temp2 2> $tempfile" in getlocale.sh, which throws an error "Error opening terminal: xterm-256color." into $tempfile.

So,
    - i copied getlocale.sh into $HOME
    - inserted an "export TERM=xterm" after SFILE=...
    - did sudo ./getlocale.sh
    - chose my locales de_DE, en_GB and en_US
    - let getlocale.sh do it's work.
    - appended LANG=de_DE.UTF8 to cmdline.txt
    - inserted export LANG... into .profile and ..bashrc (i like bash better than sh ;-) )
    - saved changes via pcoreplayer's homepage
    - rebooted

Problem solved! Do you know how to hand this onward to the picore people? I think it may come handy to them, saving other people some headache...

Thanks for your help and have a god weekend!
    Stay happy, healthy and get rich!
    Regards
    Matthias