Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Pi Server with HDD - Simple Enclosure

Hi;

I thought I would share in case someone else is looking to do something similar. My LMS server is simply a Pi 3B+ in a standard case with a 2TB HDD connected. It just sits on my desk so it has been "fine for now". I needed to build another identical system for my second location (a cabin) and was looking to put together an assembly of sorts. I also needed to build one for a friend, so I built her's first, so I can make mistakes and make mine better

Anyhow, here are parts prior to final assembly:
    Name:  parts.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  135.5 KB

The case is a simple 6.3"x4.3"x3.5"(160mmx110mmx90mm) enclosure from amazon (about $12USD). I added a right angle micro usb for the power, although I could have just gone out the side with the power cable. The HDD is a 2TB Western Digital Elements. The assembly in the upper right is what I am calling the HDD Cradle. It is made out of scrap polystyrene, and I added some ribs to captivate the drive, and standoffs on the bottom are used to secure the cradle to case bottom, standoffs on the top are for the pi.

Here's a better look at the bottom of the cradle:

Name:  HDD cradle.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  188.4 KB

Name:  HDD in cradle.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  201.4 KB

note that you are looking at the bottom of the HDD and the bottom of the cradle. I added some felt material to captivate the drive on the sides, and to captivate it on the top as well (also to prevent the nuts from contacting the drive). Overkill maybe.

Here is a shot of the pi, cradle, and HDD ready to be plopped into the case

Name:  Cradle and Pi.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  146.1 KB

And the finished product:

Name:  Cradle in enclosure.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  173.3 KB

I reached my images per post allotment, so I'll bump this thread...

Jim

just a couple more pics

Name:  Done 1.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  187.9 KB

Name:  Done 2.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  161.0 KB

Note that I did drill ventilation holes on both sides, not sure if they are needed but why not. I could have drilled more on the front and back, but I grew bored with drilling.

I did put feet on the bottom because of the screws that capture the cradle.

It could have been smaller but the cables and connectors seem to dictate what you can and can't do. I decided to just slot the enclosure for the cat and power cables, and the top could be made to strain relief then, right now they aren't

There is plenty of room for a HAT board.

Jim