Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Looking to Purchase a SBT and SBB

Hello everybody!

I am new here and plan on buying a Squeezebox Touch (SBT) and 2-Squeezebox Boom's (SBB). Originally I was just going to pick up some Harman Kardon Onyx 4's and upgrade my 80gb iPod Video 5.5 gen. when I discovered the SB line of products and hoping to have some things cleared up for me.

1- I am hoping that the used items I purchase are really deactivated from the LMS. If they are not, am I going to have an issue clearing that up? I don't want to end up wasting money on these and get burned like a cell phone of Craigslist.

2- I should not have an issue with connecting my ipod into the 3.5mm port to play music back, correct?

3- I would really like to do what I have read in this post and get a "Squeezeserver" going to avoid using an old laptop on or building a RasPi:

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebas....aspx?ID=11042

3A- Does a WD Passport Wireless Pro have the same Arm v7 so I can perform this?
    3B- The linaro package has been updated to 15.07, so could somebody point me in the direction of exactly which file I would need to use?
    3C- Is this the newest package for this file? --> logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1461045178_arm.deb

I may just look for somebody to make the above for me, but I want to give them the files and link them to the post that describes how to do this since I am not really a person who does that; although, I am sure I can figure it out, but I just don't have a lot of time these days.

What I want to accomplish is have the Booms for the children to play Spotify (which I believe is still working from Triode) and internet radio (iHeart radio) and then have the SBT in the kitchen with the Squeezeserver. This will reduce my cost in upgrading my iPod and I can add playlists to use in my car and when I need portability. I would also be able to keep all my music on one drive, along with a backup that is not used, and have the ability for any device to stream off of it. My library is flac 16/24. This would be the best situation for me and any help achieving this would be much appreciated
    Last edited by xxmodded; 2019-02-14 at 16:11. Reason: Correction

This wiki helped answer some things, but if anybody can shed some more light on question 1 & 3, I would be grateful.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...t_Restrictions

1. If the devices or not deregistred properly logitechs support or mherger ( Michael Herger ) on this forum can help .

2. The boom has a line in not the Touch , so boom can be used as a speaker .

3. Latest LMS versions are 7.9.1 and 7.9.2 current development is ongoing in 7.9.2
    I don’t know much of current WD NAS spec what model is this “passport wireless pro” how much RAM ? Arm 7.
    Does it have Ethernet running the LMS server on WiFi can work but is not a recommended setup and not one I would use .
    And not with Spotify plugins LMS and FLAC files.

I would consider running the LMS server on a rasberry pi 3 pionting to the NAS for storage as an alternative plan .
    If LMS does not operate smoothly on this NAS .

Is there a WD forum ? Maybe someone there has experience running LMS on WD NAS ?

Triodes old Spotify plugin is not supported by Spotify anymore , but there is a new plugin called spotty you should use instead it also supports Spotify connect as a bonus . If it runs on your NAS I don’t know .

You can test without buying anything there are software players Squeezelite X for win 10 or just plain Squeezelite or Squeezeplay
    These can be players on a PC and you can install LMS and spotty plugin on your NAS and put a couple of flac files on it and try out.

Then you try the LMS and Squeezebox system and see if it’s something for you for free and then buy players if you like it.

An alternative to a Touch is a picore player it requires some minimal DIY but the results is good does not always have a screen so control will be with an app on the phone or tablet .

Btw there are good apps for tablet and phone for control and playback , you can test this too .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

@Mnyb

Thanks for taking the time to reply with good advice. There is an old saying I live by, If It's Free It's For Me

Looks like many people lean towards the Pi. Guess I will be doing more reading. It seems to get easier the more I go over it.

Quote Originally Posted by xxmodded View Post
    @Mnyb

Thanks for taking the time to reply with good advice. There is an old saying I live by, If It's Free It's For Me

Looks like many people lean towards the Pi. Guess I will be doing more reading. It seems to get easier the more I go over it.
    You should really use a Pi. The 3B+ is super powerful, stable, small, consumes very little power and is cheap. I know some like to re-use their NAS, but that's trouble (eg this is probably an "unfair" share of the support request for my plugins).
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by xxmodded View Post
    What I want to accomplish is have the Booms for the children to play Spotify (which I believe is still working from Triode) and internet radio (iHeart radio) and then have the SBT in the kitchen with the Squeezeserver.
    You will need the "Spotty" plugin for Spotify as the Triode plugin no longer works AFAIK. If you use the SBT in the kitchen you will need an amplifier and speakers as the Touch does not have a built in speaker.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    I would consider running the LMS server on a rasberry pi 3 pionting to the NAS for storage as an alternative plan .
    I have my music library on a USB flash plugged into the RPi, so no NAS required. The library is exposed as a network share (pCP can do Samba), so I can drop new albums into the library from my laptop (lately, when I've 'ripped' vinyl).
    Living room: piCorePlayer, with USB to Marantz PM7005, TDL RTL3 speakers.
    Dining room: SB Boom.
    Kitchen: SB Radio 1/4 with battery.
    Bedroom 1: SB Radio 2/4 no battery, SB Radio 3/4 with battery.
    Bedroom 2: SB Touch, AE 2.1. speakers.
    Bathroom: SB Radio 4/4, white, with (and running on) battery.
    Unused 3: Slim Devices SB3, Logitech SB3.
    Server: LMS v7.9.2 on piCorePlayer on RPi 3.

If you really want a NAS that will run a decent version of LMS then the two to look at are Synology and QNAP. There are threads here specific to running LMS on both.

However my 2p would be a Raspberry Pi3 running piCorePlayer / LMS with your music files stored on a NAS. Any reasonable NAS. Why? Because the Pi3 is so cheap and easy to install that replacement and upgrades are easy without ever touching your music files which remain safely on the NAS (you still need to keep a backup though). Personally I would not trust a USB flash drive but I acknowledge it is an option if you only have a small library.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by Furry View Post
    I have my music library on a USB flash plugged into the RPi, so no NAS required. The library is exposed as a network share (pCP can do Samba), so I can drop new albums into the library from my laptop (lately, when I've 'ripped' vinyl).
    That’s a good way to do it .

OP already has the NAS , that’s why I suggested he use it as storage
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html