Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks Ralphy

My two instances have adjacent MAC addresses - I simply add 1 to the final segment of the hardware MAC address to get the second MAC address (unless it's 'FF', in which case I subtract 1), and then I use the lower of the two MAC addresses for the internal interface. Maybe I need to adjust that policy (e.g. so that a single instance always uses the hardware MAC address, and if there are two instances then the first one enabled gets the hardware address).

But I wonder if that matters. If jivelite doesn't check again after the first check, what would happen if I start jivelite when a visualiser-enabled local player with the right MAC address is running, then switch to a visualiser-enabled local player with a different MAC address? In that case would jivelite attempt to use the shared memory offered by the second player? Presumably, if I switch to a different player altogether (e.g. a hardware player), while jivelite thinks visualisers are enabled, they would simply not work due to the lack of shared memory, but would that crash jivelite perhaps?

Time for some experimenting I think. Clearing the Lua settings is the important step before I start.

It took me a while to figure out that jivelite gets its MAC address from the eth0 interface, whereas I was giving squeezelite the wlan0 MAC address. Fixed that now, and now I have the visualisers working.

So to answer my own questions:
    - If I start jivelite while a visualiser-enabled player is running on the same MAC address, then the visualisers work.
    - If I then switch to my other squeezelite instance (MAC address differs by 1), then I get the visualiser options in the 'Now Playing Views', but they don't work. I guess jivelite has already decided to use the shared memory offered by the first player.
    - If I switch to a completely different (hardware) player, the visualiser options disappear from the 'Now Playing Views'.

So now I just need to decide on a strategy for assigning the jivelite MAC address to the most appropriate squeezelite instance. Or maybe I don't - I am doing this to be able to *avoid* a Joggler-based player after all!

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Or maybe I don't
    Of course you do - I have some spare Jogglers so have followed your progress on this with interest but the most striking part is your evident delight in getting things to work how you want them to... keep on joggling!

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by KeBul View Post
    Of course you do - I have some spare Jogglers so have followed your progress on this with interest but the most striking part is your evident delight in getting things to work how you want them to... keep on joggling!

Kev
    Haha - yes, you're right, it would annoy me to know that visualisers 'half work', so I'll have to think of some sort of strategy. I'm not sure there is a 'perfect' strategy when there's a choice of player configurations; Internal, or External, or Neither, or Both, and when either player can be started or stopped at any time. Maybe I need a separate screen to allow the user to choose the player that gets the 'magic' MAC address.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Haha - yes, you're right, it would annoy me to know that visualisers 'half work', so I'll have to think of some sort of strategy. I'm not sure there is a 'perfect' strategy when there's a choice of player configurations; Internal, or External, or Neither, or Both, and when either player can be started or stopped at any time. Maybe I need a separate screen to allow the user to choose the player that gets the 'magic' MAC address.
    I may be being a bit dense here but why would you ever want to run two instances of squeezelite on one Joggler?
    I can see that you might want to run the device as either wired or wireless but canĺt see where you would ever want two running simultaneously?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I may be being a bit dense here but why would you ever want to run two instances of squeezelite on one Joggler?
    That's a very good question! Headphones and DAC perhaps? But even in that case, why would you have headphones on while the DAC is playing - you'd inevitably be in the same room as the DAC. Maybe 'either/or' would simplify things.

I did add an option to select which player gets the visualisations, and it seems to work ok, but in all my testing the named players have had their MAC addresses changed numerous times, and LMS did get a bit confused - playlists swapping between players etc. This might be a 'feature too far' after all. Perhaps the best approach would be to just let the user select whether squeezelite plays on the internal interface OR the external interface. It would still use most of what I've coded, but the interface selection would be a radio button group instead.