Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

help with upgrading Squeebox Server (Ubuntu)?

I have an old box running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and what seems like Squeezebox Server 7.8.1 (despite the fact that the web interface says there is a new version 7.8.1 available). The info page says 7.8.1 though.

Anyway, I am thinking I should at some point push this to SBS 7.9.x but I don't know how best to uninstall 7.8.1, leaving configurations and plugins etc in place for the 7.9.2 install.

I welcome any help that might be offered.

(I would consider upgrading the Ubuntu but won't if I don't need to [read don't want to] - it acts as a SBS and a file server for some other machines quite happily).

Thanks,

Tom S.
    Last edited by TomS; 2019-02-10 at 16:57.

help with upgrading Squeebox Server?

> Anyway, I am thinking I should at some point push this to SBS 7.9.x but
    > I don't know how best to uninstall 7.8.1, leaving configurations and
    > plugins etc in place for the 7.9.2 install.

No need to uninstall. Just install the latest on top of the old
    installation.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by TomS View Post
    I have an old box running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and what seems like Squeezebox Server 7.8.1 (despite the fact that the web interface says there is a new version 7.8.1 available). The info page says 7.8.1 though.

Anyway, I am thinking I should at some point push this to SBS 7.9.x but I don't know how best to uninstall 7.8.1, leaving configurations and plugins etc in place for the 7.9.2 install.

I welcome any help that might be offered.

(I would consider upgrading the Ubuntu but won't if I don't need to [read don't want to] - it acts as a SBS and a file server for some other machines quite happily).

Thanks,

Tom S.
    As Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is almost EOL, there is usually plenty of reason to upgrade your OS to a newer LTS-version of Ubuntu, but I am not familiar with your exact use cases. For both the OS upgrade and an LMS update no removal/reinstall is needed, just perform the appropriate update procedures.
    Living Room: HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Kitchen: SB Radio
    Other rooms: 4x SB Radio

Quote Originally Posted by zordaz View Post
    As Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is almost EOL, there is usually plenty of reason to upgrade your OS to a newer LTS-version of Ubuntu, but I am not familiar with your exact use cases. For both the OS upgrade and an LMS update no removal/reinstall is needed, just perform the appropriate update procedures.
    This machine is an old Dell (M90) with an Intel Core 2 Duo 4 gig ram. Don't know if that is acceptable to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. When I telnet into the machine it does say an upgrade to 16.04 is available. I will explore that but welcome your thoughts if you have any.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Anyway, I am thinking I should at some point push this to SBS 7.9.x but
    > I don't know how best to uninstall 7.8.1, leaving configurations and
    > plugins etc in place for the 7.9.2 install.

No need to uninstall. Just install the latest on top of the old
    installation.

--

Michael
    Sounds good - thanks!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomS View Post
    This machine is an old Dell (M90) with an Intel Core 2 Duo 4 gig ram. Don't know if that is acceptable to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. When I telnet into the machine it does say an upgrade to 16.04 is available. I will explore that but welcome your thoughts if you have any.

Tom
    I don't see any problem in principle to upgrade to later versions of Ubuntu with those HW specs. I am running Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS on:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz, with 2GB RAM
    The PC is a full tower of some brand I've forgotten but it is more than 10 years old IIRC. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS originally sometime 2012 and I have used the upgrade path ("in-situ") to 14.04, then 16.04 and lastly to 18.04. Never any serious problem with LMS, some web-based apps depending on PHP were causing some grief though, due to PHP updates between the releases. It should perhaps be noted that I never upgraded directly to a newly released LTS but waited until the first sub-version became available, e.g. 16.04.1, 18.04.1 (not an issue for you currently).

Hope this helps! But of course, do Due Diligence and secure your data and prepare the upgrade by checking needed apps etc, before performing the actual upgrade.
    2 Touch, 1 Picoreplayer 4.1.0 on RaspBerry 3B with 7" display
    LMS latest nightly on Ubuntu 18.04.1 on Intel Core2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz, 2GB
    All wired

Quote Originally Posted by BosseJ View Post
    I don't see any problem in principle to upgrade to later versions of Ubuntu with those HW specs. I am running Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS on:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz, with 2GB RAM
    The PC is a full tower of some brand I've forgotten but it is more than 10 years old IIRC. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS originally sometime 2012 and I have used the upgrade path ("in-situ") to 14.04, then 16.04 and lastly to 18.04. Never any serious problem with LMS, some web-based apps depending on PHP were causing some grief though, due to PHP updates between the releases. It should perhaps be noted that I never upgraded directly to a newly released LTS but waited until the first sub-version became available, e.g. 16.04.1, 18.04.1 (not an issue for you currently).

Hope this helps! But of course, do Due Diligence and secure your data and prepare the upgrade by checking needed apps etc, before performing the actual upgrade.
    Thanks - this is encouraging for sure, I guess I have a weekend project to do an upgrade.

Tom