Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1

    WiFi connection gets lost on two radio's

    I know that this topic has been discussed at length but I have not found a post with an answer that worked for me. Since the las two months I experience problems with both my squeezebox radio's. They keep on losing there connection. A powercycle helps for a very short while. I am om server 7.9.1 and the radio's are on 7.7.3-r16676. I found it curious that many problems seem to occur with more than one radio. I found a post suggesting I rename the radio's using SSH. I can get in to the radio using SSH but than I am lost. Is there an easy discription on how to work from there using Putty? I have given my AP a fixed channel (6) but that has made no difference.

    Is there anyone who has tackled these problems successfully without having to add hardware to the radio's? Your help is much appreciated

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    583
    Can you tell a little more what you tried except the fixed channel? Did you check signal strengths and maybe interfering channels in the neighborhood, for example?

  3. #3
    Senior Member toby10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA (home of the bottomless credit card)
    Posts
    9,188
    Tried hardware reboots? Router? Modem? LMS host computer? LMS itself? Radio's?

    Tried switching Radio's to MySB.com, see if issue goes away? Might be an LMS issue not seeing players, not players actually disconnecting from WiFi.

  4. #4

    What have I tried already?

    Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    Can you tell a little more what you tried except the fixed channel? Did you check signal strengths and maybe interfering channels in the neighborhood, for example?
    Hello Reinhold, thanks for your reply. That is a valid question. I have tried to link both players to different AP's. I have checked with interfering channels. There are some, but both radio's are very close to the AP and signal is very strong. I have (I think) read everything on this forum about this subject en found that there are more people having the same problem, all with multiple radio's. If I turn on only one radio there is no problem. No one seem to have found a solution that worked without adding hardware (either a powerline plug or an external dongle). I don't want that, I want my radio's to remain mobile.
    I found it curious that the problem occurred only a few month ago and that it only occurs with multiple radios. I found a post about how to change the name in the radio's firmware and hope that works, but I don't know how to do that. I can SSH in to the radio. I don't mean changing the name using the web-interface.


    Kind regards, Bert

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Tried hardware reboots? Router? Modem? LMS host computer? LMS itself? Radio's?

    Tried switching Radio's to MySB.com, see if issue goes away? Might be an LMS issue not seeing players, not players actually disconnecting from WiFi.
    Yes I tried rebooting everything, Do I still have acces to my music collection if I connect to mysb.com? I will give that a try

    Kind regards,

    Bert de Jong

  6. #6

    Tried so far, no success

    Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    Can you tell a little more what you tried except the fixed channel? Did you check signal strengths and maybe interfering channels in the neighborhood, for example?
    I have now bound a fixed IP adres tot the mac adres of each radio and set up an separate SSID that only allows only the mac addressees of the radio's. Since I did find a IP conflict this is now solved. However, one of te radio's lost contact again. I am successful in binding both radio's to the AP but overnight when in Stand By one of the two (not always the same) loses connection. I found an post about renaming the radio's in the firmware but I can't find it anymore. Maybe this will help. If anyone knows how tot do this I am going to give that a try. I don't mean using the web-interface but in the hardware, using SSH (Putty)

    I would very much like to know if anyone has been successful in solving connection problems with multiple radio's without adding hardware.

    Kind regards,

    Bert

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    16,707
    Quote Originally Posted by BertdeJong View Post
    I have now bound a fixed IP adres tot the mac adres of each radio and set up an separate SSID that only allows only the mac addressees of the radio's. Since I did find a IP conflict this is now solved. However, one of te radio's lost contact again. I am successful in binding both radio's to the AP but overnight when in Stand By one of the two (not always the same) loses connection. I found an post about renaming the radio's in the firmware but I can't find it anymore. Maybe this will help. If anyone knows how tot do this I am going to give that a try. I don't mean using the web-interface but in the hardware, using SSH (Putty)
    LMS does not use the player name in any significant way (and routers etc do not use it all for connectivity) - IP address and MAC address are the important ones.

    Player name set through LMS WebUI Setting/Player is enough.

    What is your network topology ? Routers, APs, extenders etc.

    I would very much like to know if anyone has been successful in solving connection problems with multiple radio's without adding hardware.
    If the problem is poor wifi signal - that may not be possible.
    If you have an android phone / tablet - run a wifi analyser at each of the Radio's location to see what wifi signals are present, strength/quality of your network and whether there are other networks in the areas ?
    Strength and interference are the wifi issues to look for. Strength is easily measured and your Radios will show it - what are the Wifi quality.strength values as shown in your Radio Setting menu ?
    Interference can be from other wifi networks but also Bluetooth devices and other electrical item such as microwave, fluorescent lights, etc. anything that can generate signals in the 2.4Ghz range.
    If problem is recent (i.e. only in last 2 month) - check what has changed ? Possibly new wifi networks or new wifi devices ? How old is the router - routers can die gradually with fading radio signal quality
    Last edited by bpa; 2019-02-11 at 02:31.

  8. #8
    Senior Member toby10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA (home of the bottomless credit card)
    Posts
    9,188
    Quote Originally Posted by BertdeJong View Post
    Do I still have acces to my music collection if I connect to mysb.com?
    No. It is only suggested as a temporary diagnostic to see if the issue is actually players not connecting to WiFi or players not connecting to LMS.

    There is nothing unique about having two Radio's or any combination of multiple SB players. The issue is likely your WiFi environment and/or your network (like having duplicate IP's).

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    LMS does not use the player name in any significant way (and routers etc do not use it all for connectivity) - IP address and MAC address are the important ones.

    Player name set through LMS WebUI Setting/Player is enough.

    What is your network topology ? Routers, APs, extenders etc.

    I have an Asus N66U router with a DHCP pool 1 to 100, all the assigned ip adresses are outside this range. I have an old Saneo AP that is never used by the radio's. A have a modern AP with both 5ghz and 2.4 GHZ radio's. This AP has one SSID bound to the two radio's using MAC filtering, its channel is set tot 6. I have done this recently in the hope that it would change something.



    If the problem is poor wifi signal - that may not be possible.
    If you have an android phone / tablet - run a wifi analyser at each of the Radio's location to see what wifi signals are present, strength/quality of your network and whether there are other networks in the areas ?
    Strength and interference are the wifi issues to look for. Strength is easily measured and your Radios will show it - what are the Wifi quality.strength values as shown in your Radio Setting menu ?
    Interference can be from other wifi networks but also Bluetooth devices and other electrical item such as microwave, fluorescent lights, etc. anything that can generate signals in the 2.4Ghz range.
    If problem is recent (i.e. only in last 2 month) - check what has changed ? Possibly new wifi networks or new wifi devices ? How old is the router - routers can die gradually with fading radio signal quality
    The WiFi signal is very strong, there are some neighbors that are very nearby, but they have always been there and signal from the AP is the strongest. I have never owned a microwave

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    No. It is only suggested as a temporary diagnostic to see if the issue is actually players not connecting to WiFi or players not connecting to LMS.

    There is nothing unique about having two Radio's or any combination of multiple SB players. The issue is likely your WiFi environment and/or your network (like having duplicate IP's).
    This can be true, but I easily get one radio to work well, but not two. I wil try this as an experiment

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •