Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
    I've recently decided to move to LMS for my music distribution in the home. Works great to my PiCorePlayer and Kodi with XSqueeze in a couple rooms.

We like having music on around the house as we're doing things throughout the day, and the living room and office where the current systems live are too far from the kitchen to enjoy the music while we're getting meals ready, for instance. There's an Alexa device in there that I figured I could just add the stream to, but apparently their ecosystem is a bit locked down for that. I'm interested in the method that Paul Webster described, as it seems pretty straightforward to setup. My account isn't old enough to send PM's to people, but I'm trying to get the code for the method you described.

I realize that philchillbill has created an Alexa skill that does it already, but I'm not interested in paying a monthly subscription for the ability to listen to my own music that is sitting on a box in my house working for free on several devices already. I run a server for various tasks in the house already, so even the DNS hack that was suggested above could work, and I could easily enough WireShark an address to use for that, but I'd prefer something less hacky than that.

Thanks in advance for your assistance
    You could use your phone as a Squeezebox player and bluetooth to the Alexa device. (Android SB Player or Squeeze Player apps, I think iPeng does the same if you're on IOS).

Or . . I have a Raspberry Pi sat on top of a tall larder unit out of sight in the kitchen, this runs piCorePlayer/Bluetooth, is on 24/7, controlled by my phone, 74,000 tracks available and all LMS apps, radios etc..

Sounds good on an Echo Show 8.
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.1/pi screen/AlloBoss DAC HAT/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Yes, I could throw another device in there to stream to it via BT, but I'd rather not go that route. I know the capability exists without an extra device, and I don't mind registering for an Amazon developer account if necessary. Those are definitely creative solutions that someone may be interested in, however

Quote Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
    Yes, I could throw another device in there to stream to it via BT, but I'd rather not go that route. I know the capability exists without an extra device, and I don't mind registering for an Amazon developer account if necessary. Those are definitely creative solutions that someone may be interested in, however
    Are you controlling the system with your phone? If so a player on the phone isn't really adding another device. Not as neat as playing directly to the Amazon device but close.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Sometimes I control the system from my phone, sometimes from the screen on the pi, sometimes from the laptop. Depends where I am at the moment. The main problem with using my phone to feed that device is that it would disconnect when I go in a different room - thick concrete walls. If my wife is in there listening, she suddenly loses the music.

You don't say what you wish to listen to on your Alexa device. If it's your own music files stored locally, then "My Media for Alexa" works (I've tried it), but you would need to have your PC/MAC running.

I'm afraid I've never gotten over feeling a pratt talking to a black box! Try saying "Alexa, ask My Media to play my Media Monkey Mega Mix playlist" without stumbling. That's why I prefer the RPi/Bluetooth route.
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    You don't say what you wish to listen to on your Alexa device. If it's your own music files stored locally, then "My Media for Alexa" works (I've tried it), but you would need to have your PC/MAC running.
    My Media is also a subscription service (although only $5/year). An alternative is Plex - which allows voice control for free.
    Material debug: 1. Launch via http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json (Use http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json,cometd to also see update messages, e.g. play queue) 2. Open browser's developer tools 3. Open console tab in developer tools 4. REQ/RESP messages sent to/from LMS will be logged here.

If I wanted to pay for a subscription, the MyMedia looks like it could work, but that would preclude syncing with the existing Squeezeplayer devices on the network. If I were going to pay for something, I'd go the philchillbill route that integrates with LMS so the other devices could also work. I don't need another server instance running to provide music to that one set of devices. I want the one LMS server to provide a stream to all the devices, with sync capability when I want it and the option to run a device separately when I want to as well. The basic functionality of LMS is great for what I want to do - say I'm working on something in the garage I probably want to listen to classic rock or something vs the softer music my wife might be listening to upstairs.

There are several playlists we've already configured on LMS with different genres, etc that we like to have at different times that are based on the FLAC files on the server. While I appreciate that there a number of music server platforms out there - I was interested in Plex as well, but the subscription to play my own music keeps turning me off from a lot of these things. If it's a streamlined software solution, I'm willing to pay once for the developer's time, but I'm not interested in subscription based services. When I find something new that I want to listen to, I buy the disc to support the artist and rip it to my server. I don't see much point in paying for a subscription to a service that offers mostly music that I already own anyway, and even less to buy a subscription that lets me access my existing content...

Quote Originally Posted by cpd73 View Post
    My Media is also a subscription service (although only $5/year). An alternative is Plex - which allows voice control for free.
    Plex doesn't get good reviews - https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B01NBB1INY

Rpi/Bluetooth is the way to go, the Alexa device appears as a player on your LMS, can be controlled by anything that can run a web browser, especially good using the Material Skin , any phone controller app, a SB Touch or Radio, RPi screen running Jivelite, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by cpd73 View Post
    Indeed - I looked at Plex. Their multi-room support is not that great from what I could gather. It's not so much the voice control I'm interested in as being able to have the music playing simultaneously in the various rooms when I want it to (mostly in sync +/- a few seconds), and not when I want it not to. The rooms are isolated enough that you can't hear the other one anyway, so as long as it's in basically the same part of the song when you move to the other room that meets my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Plex doesn't get good reviews - https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B01NBB1INY

Rpi/Bluetooth is the way to go, the Alexa device appears as a player on your LMS, can be controlled by anything that can run a web browser, especially good using the Material Skin , any phone controller app, a SB Touch or Radio, RPi screen running Jivelite, etc..
    Thanks for the ideas. I now have enough interaction on here that I'm allowed to send PM's, so I've messaged the originator of this thread asking about his code. Ultimately, that would be my preferred solution, but barring that I think the rPi/Bluetooth will work fine, albeit with the requirement of adding another device in. Especially since I don't actually need to have access to the interface once configured - the Squeezer app on my phone lets me manage various squeeze devices and select whether they're synced or playing their own playlist, control volume, etc.