Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ian_heys
    • Mar 2024

RCA Stereo Console (1962)

I picked this up on Ebay a few months ago. The Carcass is solid walnut except for the end panels which are 1/8 inch walnut veneer.

I've had the top french polished and done a complete carcass re-finish including the brass handles which have been re-plated and replaced internal and rear panels where the old equipment used to be.

It's installed with two Topping MX3 35W T Amps, one for the woofers and one for the tweeters. An arrangement that aids my 70 odd year old ears. The amps are fed from a passive optical splitter connected to the optical output of the Raspberry Pi and the Pi's HDMI port is connected to the 12 inch 1920 x 1080 display screen.

The system runs piCore with Jivelite and Kolossos VU Meters have been modified with the "RCA Stereo Console" Logo and the 1960's RCA symbol.

Work still to do is a walnut panel to cover the spaghetti at the back of the amplifier bay and sloping mounts for the Topping Amps to better read the display and operate the controls.

Photography is a bit hit and miss I'm sorry to say.

Edit: Advert is from Ottawa Citizen, January 1964
    Last edited by Guest; 2019-02-07, 10:28.
  • Mike Meyer
    • Oct 2005

Very cool! Brings back memories of the 70's. I think ours had a built in TV in front.
    PGAScores & CollegeHockey (SuperDateTime Add-ons)

Comment

• garym
      • May 2008

Cool. My parents had something very similar in the mid1960s. We were still using in late 1970s.
      Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
      Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
      Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
      The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
      Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
      Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• d6jg
        • Feb 2011

Nice ! Can you explain what the hardware is to left of screen. Obviously a Pi into what looks like a Sabre USB Dac with twin 3.5mm outputs to 2 amps ??
        Jim

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
        Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
        Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Celestion F10s
        Dining Room SB Radio
        Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
        Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
        Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

• Jeff07971
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by d6jg
          nice ! Can you explain what the hardware is to left of screen. Obviously a pi into what looks like a sabre usb dac with twin 3.5mm outputs to 2 amps ??
          it's installed with two topping mx3 35w t amps, one for the woofers and one for the tweeters. An arrangement that aids my 70 odd year old ears. The amps are fed from a passive optical splitter connected to the optical output of the raspberry pi and the pi's hdmi port is connected to the 12 inch 1920 x 1080 display screen.
          :d:d:d
          sigpic
          Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

• ian_heys

I've moved the Pi behind the scenes, constructed a sloping cradle panel for the amplifiers, labelled the amplifiers and the extended USB cables and constructed a cover panel for the cables entering the amplifiers.

This completes the project and although everything is easily detachable if I ever want to change anything it's not a likely outcome as it sounds really good and looks pretty good too.

Comment

• Man in a van
              • Jan 2011

That's "well proper" Ian

When you have time, would you spare a link please?

the Pi's HDMI port is connected to the 12 inch 1920 x 1080 display screen.

ronnie

Comment

• ian_heys

Originally posted by Man in a van
                When you have time, would you spare a link please?

ronnie

It's not a touch screen Ronnie. I have to use a mouse to control jivelite. Don't think there any drivers for 1920 x 1080 touch panels in jivelite. Could be wrong.

If you're over here any time PM me and you can take a look at it.

Comment

• Man in a van
                  • Jan 2011

thanks Ian

Comment

• Jeff07971
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by ian_heys
                    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOGUARD-Mon...uard+1920x1080

It's not a touch screen Ronnie. I have to use a mouse to control jivelite. Don't think there any drivers for 1920 x 1080 touch panels in jivelite. Could be wrong.

If you're over here any time PM me and you can take a look at it.
                    Theres some on ebay also

sigpic
                    Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

Working...