Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Spotify audio quality question

Spotify at the highest quality is 320kbps, right? Is casting spotify from my iphone to a chromecast (as opposed to playing directly from iphone) giving me less than 320kbps? When I compare spotify via iphone>chromecast to cd or my own flac rips (via the same dac), the difference is sometimes noticeable. Obviously different masterings can cause this, but I'm hearing it where I think it's the same mastering.

Thanks

Not a direct answer to your question but some years ago not all the albums on Spotify were available at 320kbps and there was no indication whether the album was being streamed at 320kbps or not. The only way I could tell was by using a utility on my PC.

I have no idea whether it is still the case that not all albums are encoded at 320 kbps.
    Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Quote Originally Posted by brady7 View Post
    Spotify at the highest quality is 320kbps, right? Is casting spotify from my iphone to a chromecast (as opposed to playing directly from iphone) giving me less than 320kbps? When I compare spotify via iphone>chromecast to cd or my own flac rips (via the same dac), the difference is sometimes noticeable. Obviously different masterings can cause this, but I'm hearing it where I think it's the same mastering.

Thanks
    The post below suggest a down sample to 256kb/s or less.
    I did some searches long time ago and if i remember correctly, when casting from the phone, spotify establishes a direct connection to a chromecast device and then quality is decreased.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Oth...e/td-p/1511549

Can't comment how up to date this info is.
    George

Transporter->Pathos Logos->Triangle Celius
    Touch->Denon AVRS530BT -> Paradigm Monitor 7
    2 Duets, 1 SB3, 1 Touch, 1 Radio, Transporter
    OnePlus3 -> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, NAD Viso
    2 servers -> Ubuntu Linux, NUC and Synology 1 Bay

Dont know about the cromecast spec in this kind of use .

But it’s not really a good idea to transcode from one lossy codec to another lossy codec , weird things can happen.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Dont know about the cromecast spec in this kind of use .

But itĺs not really a good idea to transcode from one lossy codec to another lossy codec , weird things can happen.
    I don't think that there is a transcode happening from 320kbps to 256kbs or lower, it was a poor choice of words on my part. AFAIK, Spotify makes direct connection to the chromecast device and streams at lower quality than the original phone setting.
    George

Transporter->Pathos Logos->Triangle Celius
    Touch->Denon AVRS530BT -> Paradigm Monitor 7
    2 Duets, 1 SB3, 1 Touch, 1 Radio, Transporter
    OnePlus3 -> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, NAD Viso
    2 servers -> Ubuntu Linux, NUC and Synology 1 Bay

Use AirPlay or Spotty for highest SQ.
    SB Touch optical to Hegel H90, Speakers Larsen 4.2
    Spare SB3
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro A10
    Squeezelite-x connected to home LMS with Neorouter.
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Quote Originally Posted by bernt View Post
    Use AirPlay or Spotty for highest SQ.
    Yes, I intend to do this as soon as I can; currently on an old mac os (10.6.8 is the highest my imac will take) which I believe is the thing that's causing spotty to not load (Advanced settings>spotty settings:"I'm sorry, but your processor architecture or operating system most likely is not compatible with Spotty. You can still give it a try. But don't be surprised if it fails...
    Operating system: Mac OS X 10.6.8 / x86_64")

So Spotty should give me 320kbps?

Thanks again.

I should have added: I'm using the Duet. Does Spotty work on that?

When I try to pull it up via ipeng, I get: "Spotty credentials missing. Please check settings...in the web interface").

But I can't see where to enter my spotify credentials anyway. (guessing the previous message ("I'm sorry, but...") is telling me I can't get to that stage).

Thanks.