Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. #21
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    20,252

    [Announce] Client Cleanup v1.0

    > Is that LMS doing that, or the plugin? Supposedly, I have mysb.com
    > disabled. I'm even using --nomysqueezebox on startup.


    LMS. Maybe there are other edge cases where empty configurations would
    be created. But as I said I fixed two yesterday. Are you saying you
    never had mysb integration enabled? LMS would not "invent" new players.
    Those MAC addresses must have come from somewhere.

    --

    Michael

  2. #22
    Senior Member JJZolx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    11,531
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Is that LMS doing that, or the plugin? Supposedly, I have mysb.com
    > disabled. I'm even using --nomysqueezebox on startup.

    LMS. Maybe there are other edge cases where empty configurations would
    be created. But as I said I fixed two yesterday. Are you saying you
    never had mysb integration enabled? LMS would not "invent" new players.
    Those MAC addresses must have come from somewhere.
    No, I'm not saying that. I did have mysb integration enabled at one time. But why would LMS be contacting mysb for _anything_ when it's configured not to? I thought that was one of the points of disabling it? Do we need to block the damned site at the firewall to keep LMS from phoning home?

  3. #23
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    20,252

    [Announce] Client Cleanup v1.0

    > No, I'm not saying that. I did have mysb integration enabled at one
    > time. But why would LMS be contacting mysb for _anything_ when it's
    > configured not to?


    It won't. Unless you give your credentials it can't connect to mysb.com
    anyway.

    > Do we need to block the damned site at the firewall to keep LMS from
    > phoning home?


    Don't be so negative. I actually almost regret having introuduced the
    --nomysqueezebox parameter: the only reason why this forum still exists,
    why build hosts are run by Logitech, why I'm tolerated doing SB related
    stuff at work etc. is because I can prove that there still are so many
    users. Once nobody is connecting to mysb.com any more I will no longer
    have any data to prove the interest in this stuff. That'll be the day
    everything gets shut down. And trust me, people are amazed over and over
    again when they see how many SB users there still are! You should have
    an interest in calling home.

    --

    Michael

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Do NOT delete players from mysb.com if you're still using them! Only
    delete those stale players.
    That's the problem - I could not tell which were in use and which were not. There were 5 MAC address I did not recognize; these could not be associated 1 to 1 with the players I use. And their dates were old, so I deleted them. Then they reappeared and this is when I started to become completely confused.

    The MAC addresses for mac iDevices connected to my Airport Extremes appear to have spoofed address by the Airport (its in Bridge Mode), and I have not discovered a way to correlate them with the MAC address shown on the iDevice. The Airport utility of course shows the MAC's for all the iDevices. SB/mysb show the spoofed address. But also, mysb showed the correct NAME of my iDevices on mysb as entries, and it also showed additional separate Unnamed entries for the spoofed MACs.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    3,693
    Quote Originally Posted by MrC View Post
    That's the problem - I could not tell which were in use and which were not. There were 5 MAC address I did not recognize; these could not be associated 1 to 1 with the players I use. And their dates were old, so I deleted them. Then they reappeared and this is when I started to become completely confused.

    The MAC addresses for mac iDevices connected to my Airport Extremes appear to have spoofed address by the Airport (its in Bridge Mode), and I have not discovered a way to correlate them with the MAC address shown on the iDevice. The Airport utility of course shows the MAC's for all the iDevices. SB/mysb show the spoofed address. But also, mysb showed the correct NAME of my iDevices on mysb as entries, and it also showed additional separate Unnamed entries for the spoofed MACs.
    I’m slightly concerned by this “do NOT delete working SBs” as well. I had numerous entries named piCorePlayer with lots of different Mac addresses. I just deleted the lot as they would have been created while I was building them sometimes the same Pi but on wireless and wired, I just deleted the lot in the expectation that the ones actually in use would reappear.
    @michael can you explain how this works a little more
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    South Coast, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    >
    Don't be so negative. I actually almost regret having introuduced the
    --nomysqueezebox parameter: the only reason why this forum still exists,
    why build hosts are run by Logitech, why I'm tolerated doing SB related
    stuff at work etc. is because I can prove that there still are so many
    users. Once nobody is connecting to mysb.com any more I will no longer
    have any data to prove the interest in this stuff. That'll be the day
    everything gets shut down. And trust me, people are amazed over and over
    again when they see how many SB users there still are! You should have
    an interest in calling home.

    --

    Michael
    So after deleting all the non connected clients, should I now dig the old Slim Devices and Logitech Squeezeboxes out of the cupboard, power them up and connect to LMS to get back on the list?
    A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

    Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
    Three things I hate in life :
    1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

  7. #27
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    20,252

    [Announce] Client Cleanup v1.0

    > That's the problem - I could not tell which were in use and which were
    > not. There were 5 MAC address I did not recognize; these could not be
    > associated 1 to 1 with the players I use. And their dates were old, so
    > I deleted them. Then they reappeared and this is when I started to
    > become completely confused.


    Did you update LMS? Did you delete them in LMS, too? There can be a bit
    of a race-condition, syncing stuff in circles... but after an iteration
    or two you should be fine :-).

    > The MAC addresses for mac iDevices connected to my Airport Extremes
    > appear to have spoofed address by the Airport (its in Bridge Mode), and


    iOS devices (and Android probably, too) can be a bit difficult as I'm
    not sure apps are still allowed to report their real MAC addresses.

    I'd say don't worry too much. Just delete what you're really sure about.
    It's not about getting rid of everything now. You can do this
    incrementally, right?

    The plugin itself is really very simple: it reads all the clients from
    the prefs file, lists them, and deletes them if you want. There's no
    interaction with mysb.com, registering or de-registering etc. going on.

    --

    Michael

  8. #28
    Senior Member chill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    And trust me, people are amazed over and over
    again when they see how many SB users there still are!
    Out of interest, are you allowed to give us a ballpark figure?

  9. #29
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    20,252

    [Announce] Client Cleanup v1.0

    >> And trust me, people are amazed over and over
    >> again when they see how many SB users there still are!

    >
    > Out of interest, are you allowed to give us a ballpark figure?


    I'm pretty positive I'm not. And if I tried to get an answer to this
    question I'd probably never get a response.

    What would be your guess?

    --

    Michael

  10. #30
    Senior Member chill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    903
    Ooh - tricky question. I don't think I'd know where to start! I see a lot of devices being sold on on eBay, but I'd guess that most end up connecting again with their new owners. So the total number of hardware devices probably isn't going down very fast. On the contrary, probably the pCP/Max2play/etc devices are growing in number faster than the original hardware is dying. But I would have no clue how to estimate that number. Maybe a number in the 10s of thousands in the UK, but multiplied up around the world - no idea!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •