> I suppose it's really a question for Michael: is it possible for LMS to
    > support cue sheets like this:

I'm sorry, I wouldn't know.

--

Michael
  • vco1
    • Apr 2018

Multiple files per cue sheet

I'm running into the (apparent) edge case of having multiple audio files per cue sheet. As per my understanding this is a known issue, and in the code there is a comment that this is still a to do item.

Before jumping into the issue, I'd like to understand the problems with this scenario, as it's apparently not an easy fix (otherwise it would have been implemented I assume).

Can someone please tell me briefly what makes this different from a cue sheet with one audio file? And perhaps even what the expected behavior should be and (even better) the caveats?

I'm a programmer, but with almost zero experience with perl. But I'm definitely willing to dive into this issue, if there is a chance it can be fixed.

Comment

• RobbH
      • Jun 2017

Can anyone comment on this topic?

I suppose it's really a question for Michael: is it possible for LMS to support cue sheets like this:

Code:
      FILE "honkytonk3.wav" WAVE
       TRACK 01 AUDIO
       INDEX 01 00:00:00
      FILE "big_wheel.wav" WAVE
       TRACK 02 AUDIO
      FILE "13 - Turkish Delight.wav" WAVE
       TRACK 03 AUDIO
      That's my test file, trying to keep it as simple as possible, so no metadata. If it were possible to use cue sheets like this in LMS, they would contain metadata. The metadata would be the reason for using them.

Why would anyone want to do this?: I don't know about anyone else, but I am looking for a solution to an issue that has been discussed in the Ripping...Tagging forum: assigning the same track(s) to multiple albums. The specific case I have encountered is with box sets that contain multiple complete albums. For instance, the Miles Davis box set of "Complete Columbia Studio Recordings, 1965-1968" contains the complete albums, E.S.P, Miles Smiles, Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Miles In The Sky, and Filles De Kilimanjaro, along with numerous alternates and outtakes. I would like to be able to access both the box set and the original albums in LMS.

Even better than multifile cue sheets would be support for cdrdao TOC files, but I know that's too much to ask for, so I will not.
      Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players. Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Comment

• JohnB
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by RobbH
        The specific case I have encountered is with box sets that contain multiple complete albums. For instance, the Miles Davis box set of "Complete Columbia Studio Recordings, 1965-1968" contains the complete albums, E.S.P, Miles Smiles, Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Miles In The Sky, and Filles De Kilimanjaro, along with numerous alternates and outtakes. I would like to be able to access both the box set and the original albums in LMS.
        If the discs were ripped as separate tracks, say using flac, you could always access the individual albums as normal and access the box set via folder view.
        Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 10, iPad 4, iPeng.

Comment

• RobbH
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by JohnB
          If the discs were ripped as separate tracks, say using flac, you could always access the individual albums as normal and access the box set via folder view.
          Thanks for mentioning this. This is what I do currently, and it works, but it is not entirely satisfactory. I can go into reasons why this is so, but will not do so unless somebody wants to know. Just trying to avoid unnecessary verbiage.
          Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players. Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Comment

• mrw
            • May 2010

Originally posted by RobbH
            assigning the same track(s) to multiple albums
            Exactly what I decided to do with a John Coltrane Giant Steps re-release last week, and failed for the same reason. Playlists don’t do it for me.

I did look at the cue sheet parser earlier this week, and felt that it could probably be done without breaking existing usage. But I’m not sure. If I do come up with something, I’ll submit a proposal.

In the meantime, of course, there is the option of duplicating the relevant tracks and making up one’s own custom album.

I don’t really need all these rejected/alternate takes, to be truthful !

Comment

• RobbH
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by mrw
              I don’t really need all these rejected/alternate takes, to be truthful !
              Exactly! I want to have them. There may be times when I want to compare them to the released version. But if I want to listen to the album, those extra tracks aren't needed or wanted.

Originally posted by mrw
              I did look at the cue sheet parser earlier this week, and felt that it could probably be done without breaking existing usage. But I’m not sure. If I do come up with something, I’ll submit a proposal.
              I hope you have success with this, and will watch for news.

Comment

• RobbH
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by mherger
                > I suppose it's really a question for Michael: is it possible for LMS to
                > support cue sheets like this:

I'm sorry, I wouldn't know.

--

Michael
                If I may misquote Captain Renault in the classic film, Casablanca: I am shocked -- shocked! -- to discover that there are things about LMS that you don't know!

Seriously, though, thanks for replaying. Of course I shouldn't expect you to know everything, just because you know more than anyone else. I think MRW is attempting to find an answer for this, so I'll continue to hope he gets lucky.

Comment

• RobbH
                  • Jun 2017

I have found a workaround for this issue. The workaround is off-topic for this thread, since it is currently not possible to use cue files that address multiple source files in LMS. However, it seems to be possible, in some cases, to achieve the same results by creating a separate cue file for each audio file. I have described this in more detail in a thread in another forum. Any discussion of the workaround, as opposed to the topic of this thread, should probably go there.

The linked post begins with a reference to another workaround, which has already been discussed in this thread: editing metadata in the files from a box set so that LMS sees the original albums, while the box set discs can be accessed through the music folder.

Comment

Working...