Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux

Linux

Does anybody use Linux and Squeezebox classic ? Does it have any problems with anything ?

Quote Originally Posted by NE5 View Post
    Does anybody use Linux and Squeezebox classic ? Does it have any problems with anything ?
    linux is a big field to dig - any chance of a more precise question?

If you use a linux distri and that matches the needed Perl Version and architecture from a version of LMS why should we got a problem?

just looking ahead to support for windows 7 stopping next year. Alternatives and pitfalls etc. I don't want to change my desktop, in fact I don't want to change anything !!

LMS works great on linux

I have been using linux since 1994 when Win-95 was released and I was sick of the blue screen of death from Win-3.1. Never looked back. For beginners, I recommend Mint or Ubuntu-LTS distribution, but I use Debian. Lots of choices with Linux, so if you want it to look like Windows-7 go ahead. I recommend that you dual boot for a while until you become comfortable using linux. Since you have stuck with Windows-7 all these years, you may not be comfortable using linux. Another suggestion is to just unplug your Windows-7 from the global network and only use the LAN (to run LMS), and not worry about updates from Microsoft and let this be your LMS machine. Then get another machine entirely and install Windows-10, linux, or whatever, until you get it setup like you want. Then decide if you want to transition to the new machine, or just keep running LMS on your old one. I have thought about a NAS machine myself, which is basically a linux server, and use that as a dedicated LMS server. Lots of options...
    Last edited by freelsjd; 2019-02-03 at 10:34.

Quote Originally Posted by NE5 View Post
    just looking ahead to support for windows 7 stopping next year. Alternatives and pitfalls etc. I don't want to change my desktop, in fact I don't want to change anything !!
    Steve, with regard to LMS, it can all be done from a pi

Raspbian Stretch with desktop, or piCorePlayer.

Have a read of this

https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you...-8-or-8.1-key/

or go for Mint (you can run a distro on live usb stick if you want to familiarise yourself or dual boot as mentioned above).

ronnie

formerly known as Fletch
    There are many folks running LMS on lots of different flavors of Linux. it works great and has a lot of support on this boards. Just pick something fairly mainstream and you'll be fine.

I have only ever uses my SB software on Linux, never Windows. It's a headless Ubuntu VM running on my Windows server, with the music files actually held on the Windows box and mounted via /etc/fstab. It's worked reliably for......12 years?

I have my install notes, if it helps, but it's dead easy and rock solid.

Thanks for all the replies. I've got a bit of time to absorb all of this info so I'll take it however the overriding one at the moment, is how exactly do these linux distros not need security updates ? And it also seems a bit of an odd thing to me that microsoft hasn't tried to develop something to prevent it working ? Sorry if thats a bit naive.

Ronnie....what do you use, and what are you planning to do , if not use the Pi ?

I really don't want all this hassle tbh, I bank online (occasionally, more just for checking and transferring money to paypal etc) so does running linux etc expose that in any way ?

How long does it take to convert to linux, a few hours, longer ? As I will need to be at home and allocate however long it might take rather than leave the job halfway through.

Steve

I mostly use an old Windows Desktop which used to run dual boot XP and Windows 7 Pro.

I changed to 8 and then took the free upgrade to 10.

I just use the default Windows security.

LMS is run on either a pi or an old Shuttle computer using a version of Debian Stretch which uses the pi Raspbian desktop.

I have some Apple stuff but don't use it on a day to day basis.

I do the normal on-line purchasing and some Bank stuff, I never use a mobile device for any buying or banking.

If you just google "Linux and Security" you'll get a better idea.

ronnie
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2019-02-11 at 08:40.

linux within windows

Microsoft now offers through their "store" free linux installations within Windows itself as an app. Ubuntu came first, but there are several others now. Basically a bash environment. I have no idea how good the graphical interface will work for this type of setup, but you do not need that to run the LMS.

I have a VM setup within my debian/linux server to run Windows 10 that uses vmplayer from vmware. This allows me to run Windows-specific software that is not available for linux such as quicken, office (excel, word, powerpoint, etc.). This way you get the best of both worlds.