Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Restart LMS via web interface?

I run LMS on a headless Mac Mini, and find it annoying that I have to use the System Preferences app on that mini in order to restart LMS for plug-in updates, etc.

Assuming that there isn't a restart button lurking in the web interface that I haven't noticed in the past decade, any chance this might be something that could be easily implemented?

Assuming not, what's the command line commands to stop and start LMS?

When you update the plugins you do get a pop up in the web-UI that does just that ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by dborod View Post
    I run LMS on a headless Mac Mini, and find it annoying that I have to use the System Preferences app on that mini in order to restart LMS for plug-in updates, etc.
    I sympathise - I ran LMS on a headless Mac Mini for a number of years, and this was a bit of an annoyance, since it meant connecting to the Mac Mini from another computer first. An option to do this from the web interface would seem quite feasible.

I now run LMS from pCP, where this can be done easily from the pCP web interface. In fact, anticipating the need to occasionally restart LMS I even added the "restartserver" command as a (very) long press on one of the buttons on my RPi button panel. In practice though, I almost never need to restart the server - perhaps a combination of a later, more stable, release of LMS, and the fact that the RPi isn't doing anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    When you update the plugins you do get a pop up in the web-UI that does just that ?
    No, the message in the 'popup' says that one needs to restart the server for the changes to take effect.
    Last edited by dborod; 2019-01-29 at 18:24. Reason: typo

I sometimes ran LMS on a Mac Mini. I had sharing enabled and just used to remote in.

I use a raspberry pi sometimes and when I get the pop up in the web gui (at the bottom of the page) I just go to the Settings page, Plugin tab, hover the mouse and a restart instruction appears.

I just checked on a Windows 10 computer where I keep a LMS as a back-up.

I started LMS, on the web gui there was an instruction at the bottom of the page that a restart was required.

Name:  arestart.png
Views: 312
Size:  35.4 KB

I clicked on the instruction and the Settings page opened on the Plugin tab.

Perhaps it's the same for the Mac Mini? I can't remember

ronnie

Restart LMS via web interface?

>> When you update the plugins you do get a pop up in the web-UI that does
    >> just that ?

>
    > No, the message in the 'popes' says that one needs to restart the server
    > for the changes to take effect.

Had to check the code to be sure: it depends on how you installed LMS.
    If it's installed as a system service, it cannot be restarted on macOS.
    If it's been installed as a user's service, you can restart it. (other
    operating systems have other limitations).

And then I thought I had removed the option to install it system wide on
    Mac for whatever reasons years ago...

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Had to check the code to be sure: it depends on how you installed LMS.
    If it's installed as a system service, it cannot be restarted on macOS.
    If it's been installed as a user's service, you can restart it. (other
    operating systems have other limitations).

And then I thought I had removed the option to install it system wide on
    Mac for whatever reasons years ago...

--

Michael
    It's been a lot of years since I did a clean install of LMS on this Mac, so I have no recollection of whether I was given an option of installing it for all users, or just my user. I probably would have chosen the all users option, as this Mac used to be used by my kids before it became a dedicated server.

The LMS 7.7.6 package, as offered up by mysqueezebox.com, only offers the option of installing for all users (presumably as a system service).

The 7.9.2 nightly doesn't ask, and just installs stuff in some way, but does ask for an admin password in order to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    The SrvrPowerCtrl plugin can be used to restart LMS.
    Thanks. The URL for adding in the 3rd party extension repo, http://srvrpowerctrl.googlecode.com/svn/beta.xml is no longer valid, so I'm not sure how to go about installing the plug-in, and there's 216 pages on its thread: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?48521

Anyone have a suggestion of where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by dborod View Post
    Thanks. The URL for adding in the 3rd party extension repo, http://srvrpowerctrl.googlecode.com/svn/beta.xml is no longer valid, so I'm not sure how to go about installing the plug-in, and there's 216 pages on its thread: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?48521

Anyone have a suggestion of where to start?
    https://github.com/gharris999/SrvrPowerCtrl

..though the code there is a bit stale. On my personal copy, I've modified the code to use systemd/systemctl for all the power management events.

..and it's been years since I've tested the plugin with macOS. I sort of stopped working much on macOS support once Apple decided that macs should be "always on" and sleep/hibernation seemed to become tricky to control on that platform.

For your use case, I'd suggest your start by unchecking the "Monitor the system for idle conditions?" option in the plugin settings and use the plugin for it's additions to the webUI for system control, rather than using it as a full blow power management system.

The irony is that my personal LMS linux server (ubuntu 18.04) is now "always on" because of the other services running that support various bits of home automation. I'm still finding SrvrPowerCtrl useful though, for its restart/reboot/script calling abilities via the web interface and various mobile apps.
    Last edited by gharris999; 2019-04-28 at 13:30.