Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broken connector in boom

I was opening up my boom, trying to fix a bad DC jack. In my efforts, while trying to disengage the PC board I broke the plastic connector housing for the speaker wires. I'll say that with age the connector plastic got brittle, to make myself feel better about man-handling the piece and cracking the plastic! It started with just one pin housing cracking, which I thought I could glue, but by the time I was able to remove the connector from the board, I broke the casing around most of the top row of pins. I don't think gluing is an option anymore.

Here is a picture of the connector:

Name:  20190128_213252.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  52.7 KB

and here is where it attaches to the board:

Name:  20190128_205543.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  97.8 KB

Can anyone tell me where I can source the female 2x4 connector that fits this jack? It's a 2x4 plastic housing that accepts wires with female pins. The wire pins seem to be in good shape so I just need the plastic casing. I would hate to have to replace both ends because the pins the male jack are soldered in by are buried under the display making it a challenge if I needed to replace both parts. It would be great if I could find the drop-in replacement for that piece.

I'm in the US. (New Jersey)

Thanks!
    -Wactuary

I think you'll need to spend some time googling "Board or PCB to Wire Connectors, maybe 8 pin or 4x2" and hope you can find something that fits the bill. I searched images for a while but couldn't see any likely matches.

If you can't source a replacement here's what I would do...

There's a product called Polymorph, it's a thermo plastic, normally comes in pellet form, you put enough pellets in boiling water for your project and leave them to go soft
    Plug what's left of your connector into the board and individually plug in each loose pin/wire, then take your softened polymorph plastic and quickly work it into the broken plug and pcb connector to complete the housing around the contacts - only thing with this is it may be a one off in that you may never get that connector apart again although you could gently re-heat and soften the polymorph with a hot air gun, but that may heat damage nearby components.

If you're really lucky you might find you can squidge the polymorph in and then pull out the plug before it's fully hardened, and then shove it back in potentially making it a reformed plug that still comes out - be tricky to achieve though.

Good thing with polymorph is you can warm some up and practice and play a bit before tackling the real job, and if you are happy to reheat you can re-use/restart using the same lump of polymorph.

Good luck, whichever route you take - be a shame to loose a good Boom.

Kev

Thanks! I definitely spent some quality time in Google and mouser but didn't see anything to suit, yet. Still looking.

I like that polymorph idea. Seems like a handy thing to keep in the shop anyway. And better than some of my dark thoughts of using epoxy resin to attempt a rebuild!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Broken connector in boom

Quote Originally Posted by wactuary View Post
    Thanks! I definitely spent some quality time in Google and mouser but didn't see anything to suit, yet. Still looking.

I like that polymorph idea. Seems like a handy thing to keep in the shop anyway. And better than some of my dark thoughts of using epoxy resin to attempt a rebuild!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    As you live in NAM, you can also try DigiKey, this is where I buy most of these connectors. You can find them under that category https://www.digikey.ca/products/en/c...s-housings/319
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2019-01-31 at 22:54.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by wactuary View Post

It is useful stuff, I use it for all sorts of things, great for making custom spacers, I've repaired small home appliances that have the sort of plastic that never glues, even replaced a corner 3 way plastic tile edge trim in our kitchen, the original yellowed and brittled with age and UV damage until one day it got knocked and shattered, worked some polymorph into the corner and then gently re-heated with a heat gun and reshaped until it matched the shape of the tile edge trim - it looks better than the original and hasn't yellowed with age.

Kev

Judging by the pictures of the mating connector on the board, I'd say there's a chance it could be this one (JST PHDR-08VS).

Connector:

PCB socket:

I've got a Boom apart at the moment, for refinishing the sticky front panel - I'll do a proper comparison of the plug this evening.
    Last edited by chill; 2019-01-31 at 04:50.

You old try sugru to rebuild/repair your connector.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Nice one Chill, that looks very close - I did search JST connectors but didn't find those.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    You old try sugru to rebuild/repair your connector.
    +1 on sugru - while I have not used on connectors I have used for various repairs. I used cling film to ensure good fit and prevent sticking to "mating" parts.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    +1 on sugru - while I have not used on connectors I have used for various repairs. I used cling film to ensure good fit and prevent sticking to "mating" parts.
    https://sugru.com/about

Interesting stuff!

There's also moldable plumber's epoxy putty if it needs to be unbendable.

Regards,

David

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk