Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BLIND TEST INVITE: Do digital audio players sound different?

Greetings Squeezebox Audiophiles ;-). Apologies for not being around as much these days...

Here's a question for the audiophiles... Do CD/digital players converting 16/44.1 sound the same/different? The real question I suspect may be "how different"!

When I came across a post on the Steve Hoffman Forum initially last year and the ~90%:1% result, it got me thinking about doing a blind test to see if I can gather some real-world data using my hi-res ADC.

Come and try the "Blind Test": INTERNET BLIND TEST: Do digital audio players sound different? (Playing 16/44.1 music.)

4 "blinded" devices to listen to from different classes, 4 sample excerpts to try. Which device(s) sound best? Is there a big difference? Lemme know! It might affirm your opinion, or maybe you'll be surprised by your results...

Test closes on April 30, 2019. Plenty of time to listen and let me know. As usual, once the test closes, I'll let you guys know which devices were used in the recordings and how people voted. Feel free to spread this around.

Have fun listening!
    Arch
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

I'm interested and also curious. Thanks for posting this I will try the blind test.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    Greetings Squeezebox Audiophiles ;-)

Have fun listening!
    Arch
    I tried this very interesting...please post the results back here. 😀

Hey guys. Thanks for the participation!

Here are the devices "unblinded".

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/0...o-digital.html

Will post discussions and analysis of the results in future blog installments .
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Nice article!
    But, did I miss part 2?
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

From the blog post ....

"Audiophilia appears to be a strongly male-dominated hobby - 100 men : 1 woman... Thanks to the 1 woman who participated - you're truly special! :-)"
    Any different here I wonder?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Hey guys. Thanks for the participation!

Here are the devices "unblinded".

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/0...o-digital.html

Will post discussions and analysis of the results in future blog installments .
    I thought I took screen shots of my responses - but I can’t find them. D’oh. Do I assume there is no way to get you to resend my response now the device ps are known? Is this possibles? PM here?

Quote Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
    I thought I took screen shots of my responses - but I can’t find them. D’oh. Do I assume there is no way to get you to resend my response now the device ps are known? Is this possibles? PM here?
    Hi! Do you remember parts of what you entered like your equipment list? PM me and I'll look in the database.

Folks the Listener Results are out :-).

Folks the Listener Results are out :-).
    Had a read of them and no surprises - most people finding it difficult to tell any significant difference.

What I found most interesting was the demographic split. The younger participants found the track with less dynamic range to be the most revealing, while the older ones picked the tracks with more dynamic range. The youngsters also seemed to slightly prefer the iPhone whereas the oldies liked the Oppo and Sony players. To me this seems to indicate that what you grow up with is a greater factor in perceived quality than the intrinsic character of the sound. Nurture more significant than nature, as it were.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    Had a read of them and no surprises - most people finding it difficult to tell any significant difference.

What I found most interesting was the demographic split. The younger participants found the track with less dynamic range to be the most revealing, while the older ones picked the tracks with more dynamic range. The youngsters also seemed to slightly prefer the iPhone whereas the oldies liked the Oppo and Sony players. To me this seems to indicate that what you grow up with is a greater factor in perceived quality than the intrinsic character of the sound. Nurture more significant than nature, as it were.
    Hi Clive,
    Yup. I found this interesting and wasn't quite expecting these findings either until I noticed for some reason, the iPhone preference came primarily from the <40 year olds for some reason.

The more I've looked and considered the hi-fi hobby, the more the importance of what happens behind the scenes during production becomes. Loud, dynamically compressed, distorted sounds have become the norm of what younger generations listen to. While there has always been some "studio magic" in all our albums, and nobody really thinks studio are supposed to sound "live", the loss of a more dynamic, "natural" sound probably does over time "program" our brains to think and feel different...

You never know about humans , maybe the pendulum eventually swings back and at some point people might long for a change to something not so loud and synthetic.