Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

PiCorePlayer & iTunes

I have ordered the parts and pieces to build my first Raspberry Pi 4 PiCorePlayer and LMS Server. My objective is to turn off my Win 10 PC from 24/7 LMS service.

Can I still use iTunes?

Since Win XP through Win 10 I have used iTunes in LMS to organize music and playlists. I use iTunes as a backup/backup for the ipads and phone and sometimes as a player. I buy music periodically for my library, using the Amazon Music app feature to “automatically add new music to iTunes” feature, sometimes adjust my several playlists and then rescan LMS. Works perfectly.

For my RCP Pi I would like to use a USB stick to hold the Music and Playlist library. I can’t seem to find any info on how to copy the appropriate iTunes files from my PC to the Pi USB drive to make this work.

Or, do I have to use the ‘export library’ and ‘export playlist’ feature of iTunes to periodically update my library on the USB drive by hand?

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.

phil
    phb (3 Booms, 2 SB3, 1 Rec'vr, 2 Controllers, 2xTouch, 2 Radios (1UE), iPeng &UE: itouch & iPad, Squeezepad, 2 SoundBridge R1000s)

I think that you will have to export periodically if LMS not on same machine as iTunes.

Maybe you can export to a shared location and have your pCP mount it but not sure what will happen if your mount point is not on 24/7.

You can share out a USB stick/drive on pCP and write to it from Windows.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Some extra thoughts ...
    LMS iTunes plugin on Windows is able to check the Windows Registry to find the path to the iTunes XML file.
    That means that you might have found that it worked without having to configure anything.
    So when you run it on your Raspberry Pi you will have to give it the explicit path to the location of the file - and, I assume, knowledge of where the music files are so that it can replace path names if not the same from the Pi.

I think LMS (iTunes plugin) only needs access to the file during an import (not at startup or other times).

So you could have a small batch file copy the iTunes XML file to the Pi (or a NAS) whenever it changes (or every few hours) and point the plugin at that.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Some extra thoughts ...
    LMS iTunes plugin on Windows is able to check the Windows Registry to find the path to the iTunes XML file.
    That means that you might have found that it worked without having to configure anything.
    So when you run it on your Raspberry Pi you will have to give it the explicit path to the location of the file - and, I assume, knowledge of where the music files are so that it can replace path names if not the same from the Pi.

I think LMS (iTunes plugin) only needs access to the file during an import (not at startup or other times).

So you could have a small batch file copy the iTunes XML file to the Pi (or a NAS) whenever it changes (or every few hours) and point the plugin at that.
    Thank you, Paul, for the info. I think I will start with Plan A because I have made a USB thumb drive for the audio system in my car and updated/remade it a few times. And thus familiar with using Notepad to Find and Replace the file paths in the exported iTunes playlists. I am thinking that having two folders on the Pi usb drive, Music & Playlists and use LMS to point to each as required.

My equipment is due later today, so I am still re-reading and trying to absorb this new info. After all these years, from Apple II and the XT, Win 3.11 to 10, I felt comfortable! So this is going to be interesting for me!

Thanks again,

phil
    phb (3 Booms, 2 SB3, 1 Rec'vr, 2 Controllers, 2xTouch, 2 Radios (1UE), iPeng &UE: itouch & iPad, Squeezepad, 2 SoundBridge R1000s)