Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Adding LMS to the ext version

After a few failed attempts, I finally got LMS to install. It works really well.

Steps for others who might want to try this. Requires winSCP (or similar) unless you are happy with a linux editor. You also need a partition editor to increase the size of the root partition. Changing the /root size and removing the tmpfs setting for /var/log are essential.

1. Create the usb with the ext alpha04 image

2. Boot the Joggler and set up the wifi (if necessary)

3. Shutdown Jivelite

4. Expand the root partition to at least 2mgb using your partition manager program

5. Boot the Joggler with new usb

6. Edit the /etc/fstab file. Remove the line containing the tmpfs /var/log setting

7. Restart the Joggler

8. SSH to the Joggler. Download the LMS package and install, eg:

Code:
    wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/8.0/lms/c076108e229abcdf9f42a0bcceb4722cbd62d636/logitechmediaserver_8.0.0~1580708662_i386.deb

dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_8.0.0~1580708662_i386.deb
    9. Configure LMS as usual
    LMS server: O2 Joggler with Jivelite, Pi Zero W with PcP 6.0

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    After a few failed attempts, I finally got LMS to install. It works really well.
    Good man! I did wonder how well LMS would run on the Joggler. Is it responsive enough?

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Good man! I did wonder how well LMS would run on the Joggler. Is it responsive enough?
    I don't have much to compare it with! Faster than my pi zero w !

I was driven to this because I discovered that Qobuz artwork doesn't display on sqpos 3 with lms installed.

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Run into a problem!

Screen display settings - eg. standby - don't seem to be working. Screen is always on.

Have I missed something?

Run into a problem!

Screen display settings - eg. standby - don't seem to be working. Screen is always on.

Have I missed something?
    No, I never did find out how to turn off the display - the method used in sqpos doesn't seem to work under this Bionic build. The best I could manage was to reduce the backlight (to zero), but it's not the same as 'off'. I don't remember for certain, but I think that's why I never did anything with the Display Standby applet. I think it would be possible to blank the display and turn the backlight to zero, but there'd still be a bit of a glow from the screen.

No, I never did find out how to turn off the display - the method used in sqpos doesn't seem to work under this Bionic build. The best I could manage was to reduce the backlight (to zero), but it's not the same as 'off'. I don't remember for certain, but I think that's why I never did anything with the Display Standby applet. I think it would be possible to blank the display and turn the backlight to zero, but there'd still be a bit of a glow from the screen.
    Ah! I really would appreciate something to blank the screen - bit of a glow would be acceptable!

Ah! I really would appreciate something to blank the screen - bit of a glow would be acceptable!
    I'll see if I can remember how to tackle this then!

I'll see if I can remember how to tackle this then!
    Thanks!

I've just connected up a spare Joggler in order to start looking at this, but I thought I should point out that the 'Blank Screen' screensaver is already implemented the way I was going to implement the 'Display Standby', i.e. it blanks the screen and sets the backlight to its minimum setting. You can set it to activate 'When Playing', 'When Stopped' or 'When Off' (or any combination of the three).

Having never tried the 'Display Standby' option, can you tell me what functionality it offers (or should offer) that the Blank Screen screensaver doesn't?

Having now looked into the 'Display Standby' applet, I don't think it's worthwhile to modify this applet for this Jivelite build.

There's this comment at the top of the applet:
    This applet sets the display standby time on O2 Jogglers running the native operating system.
    Within the code it uses the 'xset -display' command to change a setting related to display power management. Since that setting has no effect under this Bionic setup, and since the Blank Screen screensaver seems to provide the same/similar functionality, I think it makes more sense to remove the 'Display Standby' applet altogether.