Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Jivelite on a Joggler

I have a couple of O2 Jogglers that I use solely as touch controllers in a couple of locations around the house. I'm running Squeezeplay OS on them, but an unwanted side-effect is that each Joggler shows up as a player in LMS. It was suggested to me (in this thread) that I should try to get Jivelite running instead, since the interface would be the same, but without the software players.

I have very little Linux experience, but I've been having a go this evening. I've made some progress, but have hit some snags, and I'm hoping some on here might be able to help me with them.

I started by making a bootable USB stick with the ext4 Ubuntu base/server image from here. My reason for going for a base/server image was that I thought I could fit one of those images into the 1GB of flash storage on the Joggler, but since it wouldn't boot up after trying to 'reflash' that image (probably because the image expands to ~2GB) I have switched to booting off a USB stick. It might therefore have made more sense to start with a more complete image, so that more packages/features are available from the start, but I do still hope to fit the finished setup into the flash memory, so a smaller starting point is better. So one question I have is what would be the best (smallest?) starting point to base this install on, or is there an easy way to remove stuff from a working system to leave just what's needed to run Jivelite? Whoever created Squeezeplay OS must have done something like that I guess.

Then I followed the instructions for compiling and installing Lua and Jivelite, as given in step 4 here. I had to connect the Joggler via an ethernet cable, since I've been unable to get the wifi connected (a task for later). So another question - any tips for getting the wifi going? I followed instructions that I found on a couple of different sites, but nothing has worked so far.

The Jivelite and Lua compilations went OK in the end though - no warnings or errors. But Jivelite won't start. It gives me an "Invalid width or height" error. I figured this might be due to the wallpaper. The Hagensieker site has some files for the 800x480 screen size of the Joggler, so I copied those into the specified locations (without checking whether they were actually any different from the existing versions of those files), and on looking through SetupWallpaper.lua I noticed that the 800x480 wallpaper names should have a 'PCP_' prefix. In my wallpapers folder I only had files with BB_, FAB4_ and JIVE_ prefixes, so I copied all the PCP_ files from a pCP installation. But no joy - I still get the "Invalid width or height" error.

So my main question is therefore, what's causing this "Invalid height or width" error, and how do I go about fixing it?

Maybe my first question should have been "Is there already a flashable image for a Joggler that simply runs Jivelite?"?

Ther's hope at the end of the tunnel

Name:  AF1QipN1wLHlYwObpYdJ6OiBLdIMumdArgXODJLPIp7G=s512-p-qv=pnoib7126mqj1lopqbhsjl8u7sbil99gv,m=4d6d.jpeg
Views: 587
Size:  74.4 KB

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Ther's hope at the end of the tunnel
    Thanks Ronnie

If that's Jivelite running on that Joggler (rather than Squeezeplay), then it's not encouragement that I need - I need the Dummies' Guide!
    How did you get to that point? I don't see a USB stick in the side of the Joggler, so whatever it is it's running from flash memory.

I'm thinking that TinyCore might be a good place to start, partly to fit it into the 1GB Joggler flash (is 512mb of RAM going to be enough for TinyCore?), and partly so that, like pCP, I can kill the power without worrying about corruption. Could an option to backup the device configuration (wifi, Jivelite Menu configuration etc) be added as an Applet?

Well, the problem i have at the moment is to get jivelite to autostart.

I can start it from a script, but I want to put a link in "Autostart" and I can't find where that is at the moment.

Also the image (joggler skin) is the wrong size (the bottom part with the controls is missing) as it is not fully expanded.

The version on the desktop I did yesterday.

It's running on an old shuttle I have with Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC and Mac installed. I can get that to autostart.

I'll post a little how to in a bit

ronnie

Thanks - it would be good to compare notes.

I've made progress. The Hagensieker site had some notes on how to make an RPi installation work with a smaller screen here. The line that worked was this one (edited to suit my folder structure):

Code:
    sudo SDL_FBDEV=/dev/fb0 ./triode-jivelite/bin/jivelite
    This was enough to start Jivelite, and I could use the keyboard to navigate around and select the Joggler skin.

The touch screen needs calibrating, and there's a long todo list (wifi, flash memory, autostart), but it's progress.

Last edited by chill; 2019-01-16 at 08:02.

Name:  jivelite.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  177.5 KB

This is full screen on the joggler but started from another computer via ssh.

this is me hacking about, props to jeffwhatsisname,ralphy, and others

Download and burn image with Etcher used 16gb usb2 stick

Attached a usb2 hub and connected mouse,keyboard and usb stick, then powered up.

Found the IP address from my router and connected from my windows desktop using putty.

did

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    then

Code:
    sudo apt-get install  git-core libluajit-5.1-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libexpat1-dev
    then
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code:
    cd
    mkdir luajit
    cd luajit
    git clone http://luajit.org/git/luajit-2.0.git
    cd luajit-2.0
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo ldconfig
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    and then
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code:
    cd
    git clone https://github.com/ralph-irving/jivelite.git
    cd jivelite
    sudo make PREFIX=/usr/local
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rebooted the joggler and connected via ssh from my windows desktop

pasted

Code:
    sudo /home/joggler/jivelite/bin/jivelite
    configuerd the screen using the mouse.

That's where I am at the moment.

To connect wireless, click on the two up/down arrows on the Joggler Desktop on the top banner, right hand side.

ronnie

taking a break from it now
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2019-01-16 at 08:00.

I shutdown the joggler and rebooted with only the usb stick connected.

Started putty and pasted the command to get the full jivelite screen.

Control and selection using my fat finger is impossible, what a disappointment

Also it was very easy to loose the screen altogether, no persistence, so that's a dead end.

I'll maybe play some more later in the week

ronnie
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2019-01-16 at 08:29.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    That screenshot shows a rather outdated version of Jivelite or Squeezeplay. Spot the difference in the button bar at the bottom on your and Man's screenshot.
    Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - Spotty, MusicArtistInfo

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    That screenshot shows a rather outdated version of Jivelite or Squeezeplay. Spot the difference in the button bar at the bottom on your and Man's screenshot.
    Ah, ok. The instructions I followed specified these:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install git libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libexpat1-dev
    git clone https://github.com/ralph-irving/triode-jivelite.git
    whereas Ronnie has evidently used :

Code:
    sudo apt-get install  git-core libluajit-5.1-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libexpat1-dev
    git clone https://github.com/ralph-irving/jivelite.git
    The only differences I can see are libluajit-5.1 as the first package on Ronnie's apt-get call, and of course the jivelite package itself ('ralph-irving' versus 'ralph-irving/triode-jivelite'. Clearly I've built Triode's earlier version. D'Oh!

No matter, I'm going to start again anyway, maybe with TinyCore as the starting point.