Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by nimaazx View Post
    about limitation i think nobody tested it for 50 clients. I asked before but nobody was sure.
    Can you actually buy 50 Pi Zero Ws in your country? I believe there is a still a rule of one purchase per customer at the $10 price.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    If it was me, I'd do anything to avoid having to manage 50 sets of Bluetooth headphones.
    Silent disco?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by utgg View Post
    Can you actually buy 50 Pi Zero Ws in your country? I believe there is a still a rule of one purchase per customer at the $10 price.
    I wonder if the OP counts as an educational establishment - I assume there are options for buying multiple units for schools etc. Wasn't the RPi targeted at classrooms, at least initially?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Silent disco?
    Interesting idea - I wonder what it takes to run one of those.

Interesting idea - I wonder what it takes to run one of those.
    I think professional ones use a radio channel and special headphones or an adapter. My comment was a bit of a joke but it might work for a small number of receivers that are fairly close to the source.
    No idea if there is enough capacity for 50 Bluetooth receivers to work at the same time and close together.
    Paul Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I think professional ones use a radio channel and special headphones or an adapter. My comment was a bit of a joke but it might work for a small number of receivers that are fairly close to the source.
    No idea if there is enough capacity for 50 Bluetooth receivers to work at the same time and close together.
    On the contrary I think the technology used for a silent disco is exactly what the OP is after

These guys hire stuff out but provide a how it works article
    https://www.silentdiscodirect.co.uk/how-it-works/

I suspect these are RF headphones - like Sennheiser RS120's
    Last edited by d6jg; 2019-01-17 at 10:00.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    On the contrary I think the technology used for a silent disco is exactly what the OP is after

Exactly ... not bluetooth.
    Paul Webster

I've never used this option myself, but I believe the 'Tune in URL' option, in the 'Radio' menu of LMS, is where you would connect a player to a local stream. Maybe others who've used this option could comment. And clearly, if you're going to use this option on the LMS server side, then the clients would be LMS 'players'.

Yes, that's how LMS works - use a browser on any device to access <server IP address>:9000

Use piCorePlayer to set up the 3B+. Use the web interface of pCP to setup and configure LMS as the server (you can also configure a Squeezelite 'player' on the same unit if you wish).
    Use piCorePlayer to set up the Zero W. Use the web interface of pCP to configure Squeezelite so that the Zero W can act as a client 'player'. In this scenario, you would not configure LMS on the Zero W.

So my thoughts would be to:
    - Get 'a number' of RPi3B+ units, and use pCP to install LMS on each one to act as servers.
    - On your 50 Zero W units use pCP to configure Squeezelite, so that you have 50 players.
    - Connect each player to one of the servers. The number of RPi3B+ units that you'd need would depend on the maximum number of players that work reliably on each server.
    - Point each player to the locally streamed MP3 file. Don't attempt to synchronise the players, but rely on the fact that the stream will be like a radio station. This should prevent Bluetooth issues on one player from disrupting the playback on other players.

This is all speculation on my part - what do others think of this approach?

Hello Chill. it seems more reliable than that. I guess I know how it is working. there is a application named Icecast. it is for configuring streaming. it must be run on server side. behind that we need an app named MIXXX. It connects to icecast server and acts like an Player App. after that I need to enter the url of Icecast x.x.x.x:8000/music in Logitech media server.
    one thing I don't understand exactly. as you said for a clients side for internet radio streaming method i need to use "LMS player". you mean that using other than picoreplayer or squeeze lite?
    maybe it does not need set setting or change something in client side picoreplayer for streaming.

Use piCorePlayer to set up the 3B+. Use the web interface of pCP to setup and configure LMS as the server (you can also configure a Squeezelite 'player' on the same unit if you wish).
    Use piCorePlayer to set up the Zero W. Use the web interface of pCP to configure Squeezelite so that the Zero W can act as a client 'player'. In this scenario, you would not configure LMS on the Zero W.

So my thoughts would be to:
    - Get 'a number' of RPi3B+ units, and use pCP to install LMS on each one to act as servers.
    - On your 50 Zero W units use pCP to configure Squeezelite, so that you have 50 players.
    - Connect each player to one of the servers. The number of RPi3B+ units that you'd need would depend on the maximum number of players that work reliably on each server.
    - Point each player to the locally streamed MP3 file. Don't attempt to synchronize the players, but rely on the fact that the stream will be like a radio station. This should prevent Bluetooth issues on one player from disrupting the playback on other players.

This is all speculation on my part - what do others think of this approach?
    if I understand what you said.some parts is not clear for me. in This Scenario other than streaming radio URL (x.x.x.x:8000/stream),
    You says :
    1- put 3 RPi 3B+ for server side.
    2-put 50 zero w for clients
    3-connect them to each server . depends on supported counts that each server can.
    4- point each player to streamed local file! how can it be done ? sometime I saw that when picoreplayer run and clicked in Play button in front of GUI page it played a mp3 file that I synced for players before. in this situation I think we don't have a control of playing. and it necessary to connect to gui and click play for each player. am i wrong ?

as well as there is a challenge for end user.they should play them easily and maybe it is complex. I have not tested this method yet.
    I think other method you said first maybe is more reliable. streaming from internet radio server. in this method I just figure it out how to connect clients to LMS tune in radio. as i said maybe it is not necessary to change setting. clients stream automatically without changing anything.

If you don't mind a little soldering (x50) there is another (cheap) way to add a 3.5mm audio jack to a Pi Zero W - see here. I might try this out myself.

If it was me, I'd do anything to avoid having to manage 50 sets of Bluetooth headphones.

I appreciate you for searching. 2 days ago I found something a very cheap method for that ,even in my country
    This one .

I liked to share it with you. It is worked and it is very strange for me. Thanks to developers of Picoreplayer and Raspbian OS. I tested pcm5102 again and I found that I forgot to connect xmt pin to 3.3V for being unmute

both of them are working. i think using usb dac is better for their price. I just need to open it up and connect it with OTG-USB to Zero w and put them in a case.
    Bluetooth option is an option may that works or not. I really agree with you about Bluetooth pairing , Frequency and name interference or disturbing other players.
    In my latest test I tested Bluetooth with 2 zero w and BL headphones. do not disturb each other during playing when one disconnected.But lms seekbar time of music went became crazy.I strongly think when Clients Side are similar about softwares and hardwares , this disturbing is changed. I tested another scenario once before with squeezelite on my windows 10 PC and one PCP in zero w and the result was Disaster.
    Last edited by nimaazx; 2019-01-19 at 12:18.

Quote Originally Posted by utgg View Post

Hey. finally we should buy them if we want to implement this project but at this moment we can't.at this moment I Have to get result with 4 or 5 for prototype.
    I live in IRAN.Unfortunately, after the last USA sanctions , The price of all things has multiplied. For example, the price of RPi 3B+ is doubled and our markets are not connected to other online shopping centers in the world.
    Last edited by nimaazx; 2019-01-20 at 02:20.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post

HI. I searched about this headphones.
    https://sennheiserusa.happyfox.com/k...dphone-system/

they are using RF . it seems each headphone can be tune with other base station. for example using one station with many headphones.no problem. I don't know they can be purchased individually without base station. it seems it can be done but not in my country.
    I think there is no limitation for this type of headphones with one stations. I don't know exactly. for this situation better using RF. because using TCP and WIFI like my project, need handshake steps.they always works with system that have bandwidth.
    for Bluetooth technology , there is a pair to pair method. no product support broadcast or multicast right now.
    I think there will be a Bluetooth multicast system or like that in future. Qualcomm are working for this project as they said.

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releas...rous-bluetooth
    Last edited by nimaazx; 2019-01-20 at 02:25.

What a genius use of LMS. Did Logitech ever consider marketing it in this arena?!

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..