Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

My Squeezebox - upcycled old IPhone & Tivoli Songbook

Hi; just wanted to share the picture (and idea) of my newest diy squeezebox family member:
    Name:  20181208_IMG_0503.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  103.7 KB
    Its an old iPhone 4 and a Tivoli Songbook off ebay.
    The diy part is "under the hood only":
    Change to the Songbook: These were made to work with early Ipods. Although the dock is the same as on the iPhone, these old iPods were charged with 12Volt ("fire wire"); whereas the phones are charged with 5Volt ("USB"). So I added a tiny stepdown conveter and did some rewiring to the dock (super tiny connectors, a pain for my aging eyes.....), so the phone gets charged while in the dock.
    Changes to the Phone: I jailbroke the phone to be able to add the App "Airfloat", which turns the phone into an Airplay *Receiving* device. This together with Philippes great Airplay bridge Plugin turns the phone into a squeezebox - it even receives and shows the songs artwork!
    Due to the jailbreak (-> Cydia Store) was able to add a system wide equalizer software called EQE, to have better audio soundcontrol.

This little system plays rocksolid without stuttering, is a lot of fun - and a good reuse of otherwise outdated hardware!

Looks great. Well done!
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.1 - 1633378390 @ Mon Oct 4 23:28:51 CEST 2021
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.30.0 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    SB Touch connected by Optical to Sabaj A4
    amp and Energy bookshelf speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

For those who want to do something similar but avoid jailbreaking ... I presume that enabling the iPeng built-in player would also work well.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin, AllZIC Radio, Caroline Flashback, Cesky rozhlas, Frequence3, JukeRadio, KlassikRadio.de, Linn Radio, Mother Earth, Naim Radio, Nova.fr, RadioBlues Flac, Radio Espace, Somehow Jazz, Supla Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    For those who want to do something similar but avoid jailbreaking ... I presume that enabling the iPeng built-in player would also work well.
    Yes, very likely.
    I chose the (legal and reversible) jailbreak path because of the tinkering challenge :-) and the added possibilities it offers:
    Direct streaming via Airplay from another Airplay device (w/o using LMS)
    The mentioned system wide equalizer for sound adjustment
    The ability to remove all not needed personal apps (i.e.mail, telephone, messaging,...) as I intend to leave the system in a vacation home,