Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pi Zero-W and picoreplayer

Am I the only one having problems connecting through wifi?
    I've tried with releases 4.1, 5.0 and 6 beta, on two different pi's, which both connect instantly when I boot Raspbian.

What am I missing? What diagnostics would be useful? I can't see any mention of wifi in dmesg.

Quote Originally Posted by grandwazoo View Post
    Am I the only one having problems connecting through wifi?
    I've tried with releases 4.1, 5.0 and 6 beta, on two different pi's, which both connect instantly when I boot Raspbian.

What am I missing? What diagnostics would be useful? I can't see any mention of wifi in dmesg.
    I set up a Pi Zero WH with a HifiBerry Dac+ Zero lately and it works perfectly.

Just downloaded v5.0, edited the wpa_supplicant.conf file accordingly and saved it on the card.
    After the boot, WiFi was present and I could set up the settings in Squeezelite.

Have you tried the same steps, too?

Quote Originally Posted by marflao View Post
    I set up a Pi Zero WH with a HifiBerry Dac+ Zero lately and it works perfectly.

Just downloaded v5.0, edited the wpa_supplicant.conf file accordingly and saved it on the card.
    After the boot, WiFi was present and I could set up the settings in Squeezelite.

Have you tried the same steps, too?
    Only about 50 times

Most issues wifi issues with the PI are channel related.

Are you setting the correct country code? What is your router configuration? Channel and Channel width. Some routers want to operate with a 40Mhz channel width, which the Pi will not work with.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Most issues wifi issues with the PI are channel related.

Are you setting the correct country code? What is your router configuration? Channel and Channel width. Some routers want to operate with a 40Mhz channel width, which the Pi will not work with.
    The problem turned out to be that pcp didn't want to play with my Netgear Orbi mesh network. No idea why not - everything else I own (including pi's with USB dongles and zero-W's running standard Raspbian) works fine with it.

I set wpa_supplicant.conf to point to a different access point and the player burst into life. I guess the answer lies somewhere within Tinycore Linux, but that's another kettle of fish I was hoping to steer clear of.....

The problem turned out to be that pcp didn't want to play with my Netgear Orbi mesh network. No idea why not - everything else I own (including pi's with USB dongles and zero-W's running standard Raspbian) works fine with it.

I set wpa_supplicant.conf to point to a different access point and the player burst into life. I guess the answer lies somewhere within Tinycore Linux, but that's another kettle of fish I was hoping to steer clear of.....
    The Orbi network is running on channel 13 BTW; the ap that did connect is on 11.

For channel 13 to work, you have to correctly set the country code in Wpa_supplicant...... and of course use a country code that permits 13

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    For channel 13 to work, you have to correctly set the country code in Wpa_supplicant...... and of course use a country code that permits 13
    I set the country code to GB, which to the best of my knowledge allows 13. When I have a spare moment I'll set the working access point to 13, reboot the player, and see if it continues to work.

============ content of /usr/local/etc/pcp/wpa_supplicant.conf ===================
    #
    # These two lines should left as is, it is how pCP is configured
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    ctrl_interface_group=staff

# The next line is the two character country code where the device is operating.
    # Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2
    country="GB"

update_config=1

# This is the details about your Wireless network. Configure as needed.
    # Most will just need to change the ssid and psk.

network={
    ssid="****"
    psk="*********"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    auth_alg=OPEN
    }

================================================

PS this minor issue aside, this piece of software is excellent, I love using it... many thanks to all involved.
    Last edited by grandwazoo; 2019-11-28 at 17:28. Reason: added thankyou

I set the country code to GB, which to the best of my knowledge allows 13. When I have a spare moment I'll set the working access point to 13, reboot the player, and see if it continues to work.
    Set the channel on my router from 11 to 13, and both zero players dropped off the network. Put it back to 11, and they appeared again. Any ideas, anyone?

Channel 13 has been a long problem with the Piĺs. But I thought the recent kernels/firmware was working. Channel 13 is not legal here in the US, so I canĺt do good testing.