Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just to add that it might be well to check that the gpio pins assignments are exactly the same as a raspberry pi

The kernel module you need is probably snd_soc_iqaudio (which may be RPi-only)
    The currently only independent distribution for the M4 seems to be Armbian, it's likely that DietPi will support it in the future (since they support most of FriendlyElec's boards), so you could try your luck with these.
    Without first getting the DAC recognized by ALSA, there is no point in trying anything with squeezelite.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    The kernel module you need is probably snd_soc_iqaudio (which may be RPi-only)
    The currently only independent distribution for the M4 seems to be Armbian, it's likely that DietPi will support it in the future (since they support most of FriendlyElec's boards), so you could try your luck with these.
    Without first getting the DAC recognized by ALSA, there is no point in trying anything with squeezelite.
    Wow this place is amazing thanks, DietPi do a build for the T4 which has the same RK3399 chip so that might be worth atry - thanks for replying
    We can't stop here this is bat country. RIP Hunter S Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I don't know details but support of device at low level often need a kernel module (file with extension ko). These modules are built for a specific processor architecture (e.g. armv7, aaarch64), as well as Kernel version (i.e.4.4.143) and sometime vendor if the board is not "standard".

My guess is that you'll have to find what kernel module get loaded for IQAudio on a Pi and then ask creator of the distro to add the module. If you have to build it yourself, you may have to repeat for each new version of distro. Unless you are familiar with building modules, this is one of the reason to stick with a board with a large user base.
    Hi I agree but I like playing with different stuff - thanks for replying

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    If you install Squeezelite (you may have to build it yourself) then you don't need the /boot/config.txt. You just ask Squeezelite to list the out put.

This is Squeezelite on a raspberrypi with hifiberry dac hat attached (just as an example).

Code:
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo /usr/bin/squeezelite-armv6hf -l
    Output devices:
      null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
      default:CARD=ALSA              - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
      sysdefault:CARD=ALSA           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
      dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct sample mixing device
      dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct sample mixing device
      dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0         - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct sample snooping device
      dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1         - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct sample snooping device
      hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0             - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1             - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0         - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Hardware device with all software conversions
      plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1         - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI - Hardware device with all software conversions
      default:CARD=sndrpihifiberry   - snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi,  - Default Audio Device
      sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry - snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi,  - Default Audio Device
      iec958:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 - snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi,  - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
      dmix:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 - snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi,  - Direct sample mixing device
      dsnoop:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 - snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi,  - Direct sample snooping device
      hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0  - snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi,  - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      plughw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 - snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi,  - Hardware device with all software conversions
    There used to be a Squeeze On Arch by Triode (hope he is well and healthy).

Hi, isn't the /boot/config.txt thing specific to the Ras Pi ?

Quote Originally Posted by pkfox View Post
    Hi, isn't the /boot/config.txt thing specific to the Ras Pi ?
    Not specific just to Pi but after checking it is not used on FriendlyARM. It is part of the boot process and depending on the board, this boot firmware could be updatable to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by pkfox View Post
    Hi I agree but I like playing with different stuff - thanks for replying
    I have a number of boards Odroid, Cubie, Wandaboard etc - for the same reason - most of which lie idle now as support is hard as newer faster boards appear.

Resources specific to FriendlyArm

http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_M4

Boot process supposedly to Lubuntu
    https://gitlab.com/friendlyelec/rk33...-nougat/u-boot
    and Kernel
    https://github.com/friendlyarm/kernel-rockchip

edit:

Just to test board - you should consider booting Lubuntu as it says "aplay -l" will show playable through 3.5mm socket and HDMI.
    http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/ind....04_for_RK3399
    Last edited by bpa; 2019-01-10 at 02:23.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Resources specific to FriendlyArm

http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_M4

Boot process supposedly to Lubuntu
    https://gitlab.com/friendlyelec/rk33...-nougat/u-boot
    and Kernel
    https://github.com/friendlyarm/kernel-rockchip

edit:

Just to test board - you should consider booting Lubuntu as it says "aplay -l" will show playable through 3.5mm socket and HDMI.
    http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/ind....04_for_RK3399
    The board plays ok on both HDMI and headphone jack

The NanoPi kernel doesn't include the iqaudio modules, so unless you can convince iqaudio to support it, you'll have to build your own custom kernel (that's the simple part) after having ported the module (probably not that simple).
    I'd imagine (having no experience whatsoever in such matters), this would involve:
    - getting the iqaudio sources from here (iqaudio*.c)
    - replacing any references to the RPIi's BCM chipset with their equivalent for the rockchip (bcm2708-i2s -> rockchip-i2s or something like that)
    - either merging the sources into the NanoPi kernel, or building them out of tree

Might be an interesting project for the weekend ;-)