Please Advise On 3rd Party Streamers Compatible With LMS

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnB
    • Jul 2009

Back in 2018 Michael summarised the different approaches of piCorePlayer and Max2Play.

Anyone wondering about the two might well want to read the post: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post914476
    Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 10, iPad 4, iPeng.

Comment

• Heliocentric
      • Oct 2018

I still run Max2Play on my server, and it's the "free" version of it. In my time with it, I've not been pressured to acquire a licensed version. No pop-ups or spam. Also, the plug-ins the license allows are of no use to me anyhow since ALL I'm looking for is a simple LMServer/Player. No experience with piCorePlayer, but I am now familiar with Diet Pi, Max2Play and Moode. Both Moode and Max2Play are MUCH easier for me to live with since all setup and maintenance is done remotely in a web browser window. Diet Pi requires a monitor, keyboard, mouse for an initial set-up which I DON'T miss. Now that both my Moode and Max2Play pis are running fine, they've called no attention to themselves at all problem wise. Between Moode and Max2Play I would have to say that Moode is the easiest since it's the most simplified/focused on music. Max2Play has a UI that has a bit of a learning curve because most of the time, the button a user needs to click appears grayed out. No idea why they did this, since it's the opposite of most people's experiences with a GUI. Once you get used to it, Max2Play is easyish, but the interface is crowded with too much info.
      Last edited by Heliocentric; 2020-06-23, 16:56.

Comment

• jezbo
        • Jan 2007

Nice to know there are still options when there are no squeezebox devices left even on ebay. For me the Squeezebox classic v3 is still the best option though, it may not offer the ultimate sound quality but it's quite good enough for me (I experimented with a Touch feeding an external Burmeister DAC but I didn't hear any discernable difference). I'd certainly miss the display and remote if I had to use one of the pi-based boxes suggested in this thread.
        muso developer
        6 x SB3, 4 x SBBoom, 1 x SBTouch, rPi-4 based LMS on 2TB SSD (92,000+ tracks)
        Marantz, Denyo, Bantam & FosiAudio amps,
        Harbeth, Mordaunt Short & Monitor Audio speakers
        Heed Canamp + Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones
        Fiio K7 + Hifiman planar headphones

Comment

• Paul Webster
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jezbo
          I'd certainly miss the display and remote if I had to use one of the pi-based boxes suggested in this thread.
          You can still use your SB remote with a Pi-based box (just add a $5 IR receiver to the GPIO pins) and you can add all sorts of different screens.
          Plus there is SqueezeAMP with same options and a built-in amplifier.
          Paul Webster
          Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
          and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• Heliocentric
            • Oct 2018

I still have a working Squeezebox Touch bought new, years ago. The screen is the least of it though. My main system with a USBridge sounds so good to me that 90% of the time my eyes are closed and I’m just on that ride. A screen matters very little when it’s said and done.

Comment

• d6jg
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Heliocentric
              I still have a working Squeezebox Touch bought new, years ago. The screen is the least of it though. My main system with a USBridge sounds so good to me that 90% of the time my eyes are closed and I’m just on that ride. A screen matters very little when it’s said and done.
              Totally agree
              I actually still use an SB3 in one location but with the screen permanently off. The remote for it hasn’t been used for ages and has no batteries in it.
              Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
              Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
              Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
              Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
              Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
              Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
              Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

Working...