Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Please Advise On 3rd Party Streamers Compatible With LMS

Can anyone offer examples of 3rd Party network music players currently on the market that are compatible with LMS? I'm not interested in DIY kits. This is for an audiophile grade system. So far, the Bryston Pi Player(yes I'm aware the Bryston has a Pi at its core), the Sonore Rendu SE, products from Cocktail Audio and possibly the streamers from Musical Fidelity will emulate Squeezeboxes. Antipodes streamers and also the Metrum Ambre have Squeezebox functionality in their marketing. Can anyone think of any other examples?
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 2019-01-13 at 13:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Can anyone offer examples of 3rd Party network music players currently on the market that are compatible with LMS? I'm not interested in DIY kits. I know of two so far, the Bryston Pi Player(yes I'm aware the Bryston has a Pi at it's core) and the Sonore Rendu SE. Can anyone think of any other examples?
    I know you don't want DIY, but a Pi based player requires about 10 minutes and no knowledge to create. If you can plug two things together and copy a file to a disk, you can create an rPi streamer using PiCorePlayer. Otherwise, the only ones I know about are the Sonore products.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I appreciate the response but I'm seeking an audiophile grade player and the DIY solutions do poorly in reviews when compared with the 3rd party hardware.

I appreciate the response but I'm seeking an audiophile grade player and the DIY solutions do poorly in reviews when compared with the 3rd party hardware.
    Some reviews yes, some no. But keep in mind that many of the audiophile streaming solutions are just the same components as the physical components in the DIY kits, just in a pretty brushed aluminum case. This is particularly the case with pure streamers (not streamers combined with DACs). Check out reviews by Archimago if you'd like some truthful analysis. Here's an example.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/1...spdif-hat.html
    http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/1...raspberry.html
    Last edited by garym; 2019-01-08 at 11:39.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Hi Heliocentric

How about Aurender? They seem to be the choice of preference at the hifi shows. THe N10 is a streamer and music server, whereas the A10 adds analog output.

https://www.aurender.com/page/audiophile

Do you know about the BLOG named computeraudiophile? ... They used to test equipment and make a CASH list (Computer Audiophile Suggested Hardware) ... not sure it's still being updated. I see now that they changed their name to "Audiophile Style" :-? ... geez they changed a lot since last I was checking in on them. Here's a link to their review section: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/

... but personally I agree with above statement, the digital part doesn't really do anything (is not supposed to do anything), so a Raspberry Pi system can be equally as good as anything else. One of above links to Archimago concludes:

3. I remain skeptical of claims that digital streamer devices can affect sound quality significantly unless they are actually changing the data sent to the DAC.

... the statement is backed with data.

/Claus

Currently the the front runner for me is the Bryston Pi player. At its core is a raspberry pi but with a high quality power supply. I can't seem to find any support for LMS from Aurender.

Please Advise On 3rd PartyStreamers Compatible With LMS

Currently the the front runner for me is the Bryston Pi player. At its core is a raspberry pi but with a high quality power supply. I can't seem to find any support for LMS from Aurender.
    Sorry - I was carried away from the point. I don't think Aurender is supported in LMS. The point I wanted to get across was: This equipment is expensive without adding much value.

I agree the Bryston is nice. If I remember correctly, they provide a digital out. You connect a suitable DAC and you're all set. :-)

I think there are several points in buying something instead of making it yourself. For one you get a product with a warranty. Second, I suppose this equipment must be tested and approved (e.g. EMC testing). Third, presumably it's designed and tested to last a lifetime, whatever that lifetime might be -- with a DIY project, that's all left in the unknown.

Cheers,
    Claus

I was on the Musical Fidelity site looking at the Encore earlier. I realize that their software is supposed to be based on LMS but I didn't see any explicit mentions of it. Definitely out of my price range too. But right now I just want to know what the options are. I use a Chord DAC so all I need is a simple network player that plays nice with LMS, and doesn't put it's own footprint on the audio.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 2019-01-08 at 14:08.

Entertaining reviews on the Allo Digione Player and its successor, if you have a few minutes. You can draw your own conclusions on their audiophile qualifications. I can certainly vouch for the Player.

https://darko.audio/2017/08/allos-di...-raspberry-pi/

https://darko.audio/2018/11/a-short-...one-signature/
    Living Room: Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 7.9 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, Parasound 2125 v2
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and iPeng
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Bedroom: Logitech Boom
    Porch: Boston Acoustics Voyager Metro II
    Router: Asus RT-N56U