Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PiCorePlayer LMS Server - Sync performance and setup

Hi all,

I have 8/9 players (various raspberry pis and 1 squeezebox) through the house which run synchronised most of the time.

Up to now I've been using the group players plugin for this. I've set a lower kbps rate for the group player so when all 8 are running it down samples. I'm doing this mainly as I've found things were struggling with synchronisation when playing FLAC when I wasn't doing this. Probably due to 2 of the players being on wifi?

I've been considering removing the laptop and switching to a RPi (picore player) to be the LMS server (all music is on a NAS anyway). However, I'm nervous about doing away with the transcoding because of the sync issues I've had previously. I'm assuming transcoing on a RPi is a no go?

Does anyone have any advice on how best to set this up, or how to best optimise things?

Cheers

PiCorePlayer LMS Server -Sync performance and setup

> I have 8/9 players (various raspberry pis and 1 squeezebox) through the
    > house which run synchronised most of the time.

Use the most powerful of your Pis (should be a 3B at least) and give it
    a try. You'll see whether this works or not, and is easily configured
    using pCP.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > I have 8/9 players (various raspberry pis and 1 squeezebox) through the
    > house which run synchronised most of the time.

Use the most powerful of your Pis (should be a 3B at least) and give it
    a try.
    Yep, good shout - I'll just give it a go.

Is there any additional configuration I should consider for best performance, or just run with the defaults?

Quote Originally Posted by s2kiwi View Post
    Yep, good shout - I'll just give it a go.

Is there any additional configuration I should consider for best performance, or just run with the defaults?
    defaults likely best.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Sync issues

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    defaults likely best.
    I have similar issues as what I understand s2kiwi is experiencing. I have LMS on a Core2 Lubuntu server and a couple of RPi2B+ PiCorePlayers with HiFiBerry DACs. I get the same results whether or not the Pi's are on WiFi or on POE LAN connections. Basically the PCP's sound echo'd if played together via sync.

Can't seem to get the audio to sound as if coming from a hardwired analogue stereo amp.

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much for your help.

Timinski,
    Charlevoix, QC Canada

Quote Originally Posted by timinski View Post
    I have similar issues as what I understand s2kiwi is experiencing. I have LMS on a Core2 Lubuntu server and a couple of RPi2B+ PiCorePlayers with HiFiBerry DACs. I get the same results whether or not the Pi's are on WiFi or on POE LAN connections. Basically the PCP's sound echo'd if played together via sync.

Can't seem to get the audio to sound as if coming from a hardwired analogue stereo amp.

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much for your help.

Timinski,
    Charlevoix, QC Canada
    Is it way off ?
    Remember the speed of and volume of sound has a large effect here

Jeff
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Echoing playback

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Is it way off ?
    Remember the speed of and volume of sound has a large effect here

Jeff
    @Jeff07971:947370:
    -- It's off enough to be annoying and unusable. Sort of like being in a tunnel...but worse. I currently only listen to one pair of speakers wired to one Pi (they're Pi3B+ models -- made a mistake earlier). That Pi is fed from the server via PoE and sounds amazing. Haven't fired up the second Pi / speaker pair because I am now at a loss as to why the symptoms occur.

If the offset in the sound is consistent then try adjusting the delay via
    Settings/Player/PlayerName/Synchronize
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Echoing playback

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    If the offset in the sound is consistent then try adjusting the delay via
    Settings/Player/PlayerName/Synchronize
    Ok. Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try and report back with details on what was done.

pCP - Squeezelite on Pi3B+ and Allo Digione is always out of sync.

Hi Squeezebox Fans,
    First to say hello to everybody, as I am a new member.
    First things first, here's my setup:
    Server:

• LMS 7.9.1 (Beta) runs on Synology DS218+

Player:

• 2x Squeezebox Boom
    • 2x Squeezebox Radio
    • 1x Squeezebox Controler
    • 1x Raspberry Pi 3B+ und Allo Digione Transport. Software is piCorePlayer v4.1.0 running Squeezelite v1.9.0-1121-pCP. This device is connected via electrical SPDIF to my Denon AVR-X4400H

I have an issue with synchronisation which is really annoying to me
    If I listen to music with my pi3B+ Allo Digione Combo, sound is really great and I enjoy it very much.
    BUT, if I synchronize several players, such as my Pi3B+ in the living room and my Boom in the kitchen, they are not perfectly synchronous. The effect is hearable due to an open space design (living room, dining room and kitchen) and very disturbing
    If I synchronize only original Logitech Hardware such as my Booms and Radios, everything is real fine and perfectly synched. Only the 3rd Party Stuff doesn't work properly.
    I read a lot of threads in several forums throughout the Internet. Will say I read the whole internet and wasn't able to find anything helpfull to solve my problem. I tried almost every setting to fine tune, no help.
    This is my last try. If no one out there has a clou, I will sell my 3rd Party Hardware and buy me a squeezebox touch, which hopefully is perfectly synched with all my other original Logitech Squeezebox gear.
    Excited to hear from you
    Kind regards
    Andreas