Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bits View Post
    The other settings are under professional.

Sent from my H8266 using Tapatalk
    Thank you. I am currently monitoring disconnections/reconnections using wlanpoke from POMdev. My radios are connected to my old AP but I guess due to my new asus router, they are suffering a lot of disconnections (but at least they can connect to this AP).
    By a lot I mean every 2 minutes it disconnects and reconnects (thanks to wlanpoke)
    I have created a daily rotation of logs so that I can easily monitor how many disconnections per day.

I will modify one setting at a time on this asus router to measure (for a day) the effect of the # of disconnections. It will take a long time but I think it can help at the end.

Thanks for testing

Hello,
    I saw your post in the other forum. Thanks for testing the options so thoroughly. Maybe we will get to the bottom of the problem. For what it is worth, my SB radio to wifi problems started only after I switched the router to a mesh router system...... same as yours... Asus XT8. However, in my case, disabling Wi-Fi 6 immediately resolves the connection issues.

Q: did you have disconnection problems on these SB radios before you changed your router to XT8?

By the way, I would not want my authentication method to be WPA / WPA2. WPA is super old and reported to be hackable. Besides, that setting (+ TKIP) did not make any difference in my setup. Plus that made the whole wi-fi network throughput very slow. Both problems are well documented on the 'net.

Quote Originally Posted by rajdude View Post
    Q: did you have disconnection problems on these SB radios before you changed your router to XT8?
    No I had never had any connection issues before purchasing this router XT8.
    But actually I don't let my radios to connect to this new router. I have never been able to connect to XT8 (more than 2-5 secs). I have linked my old router as an AP. My radios are connected to my old router, IP given by my new router, which delivers wifi to all the other devices.

Which authentication method do you use? WPA3?

Oh! So I am in exactly the same boat....other than the fact that my SB radios do work for 5-10 minutes before disconnecting with the XT8.

But wait.......so you are doing so much work (testing) with the XT8s or the old router as an AP?

Auth?.....I am using just WPA2-personal with AES
    I tried using WPA3, almost no wireless client was able to connect. The only one which connected was my son's Samsung S10. Maybe I should try WPA2/WPA3 setting someday.

Quote Originally Posted by castor_fou View Post
    No I had never had any connection issues before purchasing this router XT8.
    But actually I don't let my radios to connect to this new router. I have never been able to connect to XT8 (more than 2-5 secs). I have linked my old router as an AP. My radios are connected to my old router, IP given by my new router, which delivers wifi to all the other devices.

Which authentication method do you use? WPA3?

My insight is that the radio environment created by XT8 is creating some disturbance.
    My testing is only done (so far) on XT8 settings to isolate the culprit.
    If I find a configuration in XT8 allowing my radios to stay connected for a day or so, I will move them to XT8, it should work. (hopefully )

update?

Any update?

I have so far not been able to find any solution....so I pretty sure I will have to return the XT8 duo.
    I do want to try out what you have been doing....running a second router cascaded AFTER the XT8 and seeing what happens to the radios.

My insight is that the radio environment created by XT8 is creating some disturbance.
    My testing is only done (so far) on XT8 settings to isolate the culprit.
    If I find a configuration in XT8 allowing my radios to stay connected for a day or so, I will move them to XT8, it should work. (hopefully )

Happy new year!

Here is an interesting update:

For some unknown reason, the two SB radios are now able to connect to the XT8. I have done no setting changes, but did do this little experiment:

I powered on my old Router, a Netgear R8000, connected it to XT8 and placed it side by side to the XT8. The idea was to setup the radios so that they connect to the R8000 (since they were unable to maintain a stable connection to XT8)

Yesterday, the kids started complaining of lags/slowness in their online games, so I suspected that the presence of the R8000 may be affecting XT8 signals. So I powered off the R8000. After some time, I noticed that the radios were still working. I looked at the logs of the XT8 and yeah, the two SB radios were connected to it!

A day has passed and both radios are STILL working. I have rebooted the SB radios....they STILL work.

I am baffled on why this would have happened!

PS: @castro_fou:
    The presence of R8000's signals alongside XT8 did NOT prevent the SB radios from connecting reliably to the R8000.

PS: @castro_fou:
    The presence of R8000's signals alongside XT8 did NOT prevent the SB radios from connecting reliably to the R8000.
    How lucky you are!
    My legacy wifi AP is a netgear N600.

Happy new year......well not so happy so far,,,,,,,,,,,,,because for testing purposes.........I factory reset the XT8 units and now no matter what I do, the SB radios cannot stay connected to them. They disconnect in 5-10 minutes.............just like they used to.

I have not tried placing the R8000 next to it, in order to "train" the XT8.

Also I have tested my theory of having the mesh on on the XT8....and that that caused the problem with the SBs. That theory I have managed to debunk myself. Even with the mesh turned off or the mesh never even configured inside the one single XT8, it does not stay connected to the SB radios.

I am tired of troubleshooting......so am preparing the XT8s to be returned soon.

Looking at a different manufacturer..........so far the "tp-link archer ax6000" sounds like it has almost everything I want in it...parental controls etc. The only thing it does not have is tri-band. Due to lack of tri band........I am thinking of a cheaper options.........but then it comes to RT-AX58U and that is the same OS as the XT8.........potentially will not work with SB radios again! :-( I do not know what do I do. Maybe wait a year more for 6E routers?

How lucky you are!
    My legacy wifi AP is a netgear N600.

Final update

Here is an update from me:

Yesterday:

I turned off the Smart connect on the XT8 and immediately the SB radios started working reliably. Then I thought I would prove it to myself that "Smart Connect" is the problem...by re-enabling smart connect. Did that, and interesting, the SB radios did NOT have any problem. I rebooted them, I rebooted the router....still everything worked perfectly

Strange. Just for reference, XT 8 is working as a single router. No mesh, the other router is powered down. Mesh not even configured in the primary node.

Anyway, I got tired of troubleshooting the XT8. It works sometimes, at other times it does not. Besides the replacement router is coming soon. So I left it as is.

BTW, after separating the two bands, I now see the option of disabling AX on the 3 bands individually.

Today:

I received the Asus AX3000 which I bought just because it was much cheaper and was actually in stock on Amazon, rather than my first choice - TP-Link AX6000 (TX-6000E).

I placed it in the same location as the primary XT8 is located. Configuring it identically to the XT8, basically default config, just changed the IP address subnet. Left the Smart Connect on. SB radios are working perfectly, with Asus AX3000 right out of the box! Hmmm....then I did a firmware upgrade, factory reset, reconfigured the router, enabled QoS, AiProtection etc....SB radios are still working! :-)

So I do not know, maybe the XT mesh system was the problem (important to note that the RT-AX3000 "is" Asus mesh capable)

I think for now, I will call it a day