Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thank you everyone for reply.

It is a free software so I don't expect this could get fix. Just want to share my finding so people are aware this problem exist.

This is the error I got from Squeezelite after unplugging the USB DAC

[22:11:44.506807] output_thread:776 pcm wait error: Input/output error
    [22:11:44.506898] output_thread:763 start error: File descriptor in bad state
    [22:11:44.516943] output_thread:763 start error: File descriptor in bad state
    [22:11:44.526985] output_thread:763 start error: File descriptor in bad state
    [22:11:44.537027] output_thread:763 start error: File descriptor in bad state

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    A squeezelite command line option setting may fix the problem for you but you'll only which setting if you understand what is happening within squeezelite.
    I had a similar situation with the USB DAC in a Hypex DLCP. The list of available output devices offered when this DAC is connected to a Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer 4.1.0 is:

null
    sysdefault:CARD=DAC
    front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    surround21:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    surround40:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    surround41:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    surround50:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    surround51:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    surround71:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    iec958:CARD=DAC,DEV=0

I first tried the top option 'sysdefault:CARD=DAC', and that seemed to work and play music properly. But whenever the DAC was disconnected (e.g. when using the DLCP USB input for programming the DLCP), it required a reboot of the Pi for Squeezelite to find the DAC again.

The solution for me was to use the next option in the list, 'front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0'. This is totally robust, in that I can disconnect the DAC, and when I reconnect (even to a different USB port on the Pi), the music just magically starts playing again almost immediately - I don't even need to restart Squeezelite.
    Last edited by chill; 2019-01-08 at 09:55.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I had a similar situation with the USB DAC in a Hypex DLCP. The list of available output devices offered when this DAC is connected to a Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer 4.1.0 is:

null
    sysdefault:CARD=DAC
    front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    surround21:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    surround40:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    surround41:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    surround50:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    surround51:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    surround71:CARD=DAC,DEV=0
    iec958:CARD=DAC,DEV=0

I first tried the top option 'sysdefault:CARD=DAC', and that seemed to work and play music properly. But whenever the DAC was disconnected (e.g. when using the DLCP USB input for programming the DLCP), it required a reboot of the Pi for Squeezelite to find the DAC again.

The solution for me was to use the next option in the list, 'front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0'. This is totally robust, in that I can disconnect the DAC, and when I reconnect (even to a different USB port on the Pi), the music just magically starts playing again almost immediately - I don't even need to restart Squeezelite.

Thank you! This fix the problem for me!
    I have a perfect player now!

Thanks for reporting this!

I would have never thought it would make a different in a million years.

Are you guys clicking on the option to update the "Output setting" field?

regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Are you guys clicking on the option to update the "Output setting" field?
    In my case, yes. I clicked on the output option in the bulleted list on the right, which puts that option into the 'Output Setting' field on the left, then I clicked the 'Save' button at the bottom of the 'Change Squeezelite settings' section.

It's reproducible - I tried again with both options before my earlier post, and the top option definitely would not reconnect without a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post

Many thanks for posting this workaround - this issue had been anchoring me to an ancient RPi setup because I could never get anything newer to cope with the USB DAC disappearing/appearing. Changing this option has resolved it. I would never have thought about trying it myself...