Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks Paul - yeah, I'd forgotten about being able to use different remotes. I may look into how to make a mapping table. But I've been running a 3B+ plus button board as my own LMS server and main living room player for quite a while now, and I find that the physical buttons largely replace the need for a remote. I've configured the buttons to do everything that I might want to do with the remote. Each button has a short press (black text) and a long (0.5s) press (red text). The 'Restart Server' long press on the bottom switch is set to 2s, to avoid accidentally triggering it. Without labels on the buttons, the layout needs to be something I can remember.

Last edited by chill; 2018-12-23 at 02:59.

Hi,

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am looking to set up a Pi-based whole system using some equipment that I inherited with the house, namely ceiling speakers.

I am working on one room at the moment to get everything working before expanding. So in this room I have successfully setup the ceiling speakers to a Pi3 / Hifi Berry Amp / Max2Play image. Everything is working almost great as can play music from my local network, stream via Deezer/Spotify/Tunein Radio etc.

The only thing that I wanting to do to finalise my setup is to have the ability for the TV sound (e.g. when watching a movie in this room) to play via celing speakers setup rather than the TV.

Can anyone kindly point me in the right direction, if this is possible?

I don't think this is going to be possible via LMS. It is possible to get one or more players in LMS to play an external source, maybe with some additional hardware (e.g. a USB ADC), but there will always be a significant delay, so that the TV picture and the sound will always be out of sync. I suspect you will need some sort of external amp that can be switched between the Raspberry Pi and the TV as sources. And that would probably mean that the HiFi Berry amp would be redundant - depending on the external amp's inputs you could use the USB output from the RPi or replace the HiFi Berry amp with either a DAC that could feed analogue outputs to the external amp, or with a digi board that could feed a digital toslink or coax signal to the amp.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I don't think this is going to be possible via LMS. It is possible to get one or more players in LMS to play an external source, maybe with some additional hardware (e.g. a USB ADC), but there will always be a significant delay, so that the TV picture and the sound will always be out of sync. I suspect you will need some sort of external amp that can be switched between the Raspberry Pi and the TV as sources. And that would probably mean that the HiFi Berry amp would be redundant - depending on the external amp's inputs you could use the USB output from the RPi or replace the HiFi Berry amp with either a DAC that could feed analogue outputs to the external amp, or with a digi board that could feed a digital toslink or coax signal to the amp.
    If using analogue TV output, could BT delay be small enough? And if the TV source is an ATV for example, then synchronization could work as the ATV manages the delay.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5