A Pi-based whole house system

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tcutting
    • May 2008

I have a similar desire (although slightly different application).
    I have pi-based player with HiFiBerry Amp, with PiCorePlayer (squeezelite player + jivelight UI). It is my "garage" player, with semi built-in speakers.
    I would love to be able to switch in either an analog input or bluetooth input instead of the LMS (squeezlite) input. For example, if I wanted to use an "ALEXA" (amazon echo) node in this area, it would be good to be able to have audio play through the same player (plus it would allow me the option to listen to SiriusXM in that location, as I can play that through Amazon Echo).
    It seems it should be possible to implement some form of audio mixer on the Pi (isn't there something already built in?) to switch or mix multiple audio streams into the selected output audio device?

Comment

• d6jg
      • Feb 2011

I can't help thinking that this would be a lot easier with a traditional amp with multiple switchable inputs than with HiFiBerry Amp. Yes you could get WAVIN working if you added a USB ADC/DAC to the Pi but the lag from a TV would be unworkable (unbearable).

I would use a Pi to integrate with LMS and an analogue feed from the TV's headphone socket into a switchable amp or if you must have both sources always on then the same but into a mixer before the amp -> speakers.

I'd use the headphone out from TV as that will enable the TV remote to still work (WAF) but you could also use the line out if there is one.
      Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
      Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
      Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
      Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
      Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
      Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
      Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• bpa
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by tcutting
        It seems it should be possible to implement some form of audio mixer on the Pi (isn't there something already built in?) to switch or mix multiple audio streams into the selected output audio device?
        Mixing can be done but I think it can be complicated. I think PulseAudio would be the first - there are many example where it can be used to mix inputs so that it can be recorded - the issue to get the mix back to an output. I think Jack can do the same job but maybe overkill.

Comment

• tannaroo
          • Nov 2019

Originally posted by d6jg
          I can't help thinking that this would be a lot easier with a traditional amp with multiple switchable inputs than with HiFiBerry Amp. Yes you could get WAVIN working if you added a USB ADC/DAC to the Pi but the lag from a TV would be unworkable (unbearable).

I would use a Pi to integrate with LMS and an analogue feed from the TV's headphone socket into a switchable amp or if you must have both sources always on then the same but into a mixer before the amp -> speakers.

I'd use the headphone out from TV as that will enable the TV remote to still work (WAF) but you could also use the line out if there is one.
          Thanks d6jg. I've seen that there is a Wolfson Audio Card that accepts line in, so just wondering if a Wolfson Audio Card on a separate Pi can be used which can be switched through LMS whether its music (HifiBerry) or TV (Wolfson Audio)?
          Last edited by tannaroo; 2019-11-17, 09:44.

Comment

• d6jg
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by tannaroo
            Thanks d6jg. I've seen that there is a Wolfson Audio Card that accepts line in, so just wondering if a Wolfson Audio Card on a separate Pi can be used which can be switched through LMS whether its music (HifiBerry) or TV (Wolfson Audio)?
            Technically yes but seriously NOT WORTH it. The lag on TV will be 2-3 seconds minimum and therefore unbearable.

Get a normal amplifier with multiple line inputs. Plug a Pi/LMS into one of its inputs and TV into another. Switch inputs as required. This is the only way you will get TV sound without unacceptable delay.
            Jim

Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Comment

• tannaroo
              • Nov 2019

Technically yes but seriously NOT WORTH it. The lag on TV will be 2-3 seconds minimum and therefore unbearable.

Get a normal amplifier with multiple line inputs. Plug a Pi/LMS into one of its inputs and TV into another. Switch inputs as required. This is the only way you will get TV sound without unacceptable delay.
              Can you recommend amplifier where I could plug a Pi/LMS into one of its inputs? How would I be able to 'control' the amplifier and switch between TV sound and LMS?

My current setup (which I inherited) was an Opus multi-room system with big clunky amps scattered around the house and this is what I want to replace (in fact some of the equipment has now broken).

Comment

• d6jg
                • Feb 2011

Can you recommend amplifier where I could plug a Pi/LMS into one of its inputs? How would I be able to 'control' the amplifier and switch between TV sound and LMS?

My current setup (which I inherited) was an Opus multi-room system with big clunky amps scattered around the house and this is what I want to replace (in fact some of the equipment has now broken).
                Any stereo amplifier with remote control. Switch with remote so will need line of sight.
                Jim

Comment

• tannaroo
                  • Nov 2019

Any stereo amplifier with remote control. Switch with remote so will need line of sight.
                  ok. what connection/how do I attach my Pi/Hifi Berry Amp to the stereo amplifier? HDMI?

Comment

• chill
                    • Mar 2007

ok. what connection/how do I attach my Pi/Hifi Berry Amp to the stereo amplifier? HDMI?
                    The Hifi Berry Amp would not be needed in this case. Audio out from the Pi to the stereo amp can be achieved in various ways. It depends on the capabilities of the stereo amp. If the amp has a USB input then that's probably the easiest: USB 'out' from the Pi to USB 'in' to the amplifier. Alternatively you could replace the Hifi Berry amp with a digi board, which would likely have coax and toslink outputs depending which one you get. Or you could use a DAC board to provide stereo analogue outputs - probably the most compatible with any conventional analogue amplifier. You could even use the 3.5mm jack output from the Pi, but the other options would likely give you better sound quality.
                    *EDIT: And not to ignore your suggestion - HDMI is also a possibility if your amp supports that as an input.

Comment

Working...