Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Senior Member chill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,347
    Thanks Paul - yeah, I'd forgotten about being able to use different remotes. I may look into how to make a mapping table. But I've been running a 3B+ plus button board as my own LMS server and main living room player for quite a while now, and I find that the physical buttons largely replace the need for a remote. I've configured the buttons to do everything that I might want to do with the remote. Each button has a short press (black text) and a long (0.5s) press (red text). The 'Restart Server' long press on the bottom switch is set to 2s, to avoid accidentally triggering it. Without labels on the buttons, the layout needs to be something I can remember.

    Last edited by chill; 2018-12-23 at 02:59.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    8
    Hi,

    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am looking to set up a Pi-based whole system using some equipment that I inherited with the house, namely ceiling speakers.

    I am working on one room at the moment to get everything working before expanding. So in this room I have successfully setup the ceiling speakers to a Pi3 / Hifi Berry Amp / Max2Play image. Everything is working almost great as can play music from my local network, stream via Deezer/Spotify/Tunein Radio etc.

    The only thing that I wanting to do to finalise my setup is to have the ability for the TV sound (e.g. when watching a movie in this room) to play via celing speakers setup rather than the TV.

    Can anyone kindly point me in the right direction, if this is possible?

  3. #13
    Senior Member chill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,347
    I don't think this is going to be possible via LMS. It is possible to get one or more players in LMS to play an external source, maybe with some additional hardware (e.g. a USB ADC), but there will always be a significant delay, so that the TV picture and the sound will always be out of sync. I suspect you will need some sort of external amp that can be switched between the Raspberry Pi and the TV as sources. And that would probably mean that the HiFi Berry amp would be redundant - depending on the external amp's inputs you could use the USB output from the RPi or replace the HiFi Berry amp with either a DAC that could feed analogue outputs to the external amp, or with a digi board that could feed a digital toslink or coax signal to the amp.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,092
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I don't think this is going to be possible via LMS. It is possible to get one or more players in LMS to play an external source, maybe with some additional hardware (e.g. a USB ADC), but there will always be a significant delay, so that the TV picture and the sound will always be out of sync. I suspect you will need some sort of external amp that can be switched between the Raspberry Pi and the TV as sources. And that would probably mean that the HiFi Berry amp would be redundant - depending on the external amp's inputs you could use the USB output from the RPi or replace the HiFi Berry amp with either a DAC that could feed analogue outputs to the external amp, or with a digi board that could feed a digital toslink or coax signal to the amp.
    If using analogue TV output, could BT delay be small enough? And if the TV source is an ATV for example, then synchronization could work as the ATV manages the delay.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I don't think this is going to be possible via LMS. It is possible to get one or more players in LMS to play an external source, maybe with some additional hardware (e.g. a USB ADC), but there will always be a significant delay, so that the TV picture and the sound will always be out of sync. I suspect you will need some sort of external amp that can be switched between the Raspberry Pi and the TV as sources. And that would probably mean that the HiFi Berry amp would be redundant - depending on the external amp's inputs you could use the USB output from the RPi or replace the HiFi Berry amp with either a DAC that could feed analogue outputs to the external amp, or with a digi board that could feed a digital toslink or coax signal to the amp.
    Thank you Chill and Philippe for your responses. I'm not really sure if this is going to help but my source inputs (e.g. Amazon Firestick, set top box) are plugged into a 4 x 4 HDMI matrix which also has a separate coax and separate toslink?? (i think it is) for each output, so can something be done with this digital toslink from the HDMI matrix to the Pi Amp and/or TV that will be in 4 of the output rooms?

  6. #16
    Senior Member tcutting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    1,393
    I have a similar desire (although slightly different application).
    I have pi-based player with HiFiBerry Amp, with PiCorePlayer (squeezelite player + jivelight UI). It is my "garage" player, with semi built-in speakers.
    I would love to be able to switch in either an analog input or bluetooth input instead of the LMS (squeezlite) input. For example, if I wanted to use an "ALEXA" (amazon echo) node in this area, it would be good to be able to have audio play through the same player (plus it would allow me the option to listen to SiriusXM in that location, as I can play that through Amazon Echo).
    It seems it should be possible to implement some form of audio mixer on the Pi (isn't there something already built in?) to switch or mix multiple audio streams into the selected output audio device?

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,158
    I can't help thinking that this would be a lot easier with a traditional amp with multiple switchable inputs than with HiFiBerry Amp. Yes you could get WAVIN working if you added a USB ADC/DAC to the Pi but the lag from a TV would be unworkable (unbearable).

    I would use a Pi to integrate with LMS and an analogue feed from the TV's headphone socket into a switchable amp or if you must have both sources always on then the same but into a mixer before the amp -> speakers.

    I'd use the headphone out from TV as that will enable the TV remote to still work (WAF) but you could also use the line out if there is one.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    17,906
    Quote Originally Posted by tcutting View Post
    It seems it should be possible to implement some form of audio mixer on the Pi (isn't there something already built in?) to switch or mix multiple audio streams into the selected output audio device?
    Mixing can be done but I think it can be complicated. I think PulseAudio would be the first - there are many example where it can be used to mix inputs so that it can be recorded - the issue to get the mix back to an output. I think Jack can do the same job but maybe overkill.

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I can't help thinking that this would be a lot easier with a traditional amp with multiple switchable inputs than with HiFiBerry Amp. Yes you could get WAVIN working if you added a USB ADC/DAC to the Pi but the lag from a TV would be unworkable (unbearable).

    I would use a Pi to integrate with LMS and an analogue feed from the TV's headphone socket into a switchable amp or if you must have both sources always on then the same but into a mixer before the amp -> speakers.

    I'd use the headphone out from TV as that will enable the TV remote to still work (WAF) but you could also use the line out if there is one.
    Thanks d6jg. I've seen that there is a Wolfson Audio Card that accepts line in, so just wondering if a Wolfson Audio Card on a separate Pi can be used which can be switched through LMS whether its music (HifiBerry) or TV (Wolfson Audio)?
    Last edited by tannaroo; 2019-11-17 at 02:44.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,158
    Quote Originally Posted by tannaroo View Post
    Thanks d6jg. I've seen that there is a Wolfson Audio Card that accepts line in, so just wondering if a Wolfson Audio Card on a separate Pi can be used which can be switched through LMS whether its music (HifiBerry) or TV (Wolfson Audio)?
    Technically yes but seriously NOT WORTH it. The lag on TV will be 2-3 seconds minimum and therefore unbearable.

    Get a normal amplifier with multiple line inputs. Plug a Pi/LMS into one of its inputs and TV into another. Switch inputs as required. This is the only way you will get TV sound without unacceptable delay.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •