Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inguz EQ/DRC

As far as I know, sox is only used for Digital Room Correction and even then it is only used to resample the selected FIR impulse file to the sampling rate of the music being played, if they differ, prior to playing the track. (The impulse file determines the DRC to be applied). There is an entry in log.txt when sox is used in that way.

All the processing for balance, width, equalization, DRC, etc, etc is done by InguzDSP.exe and DSPUtil.dll.

The balance/width settings aren't written to the log.txt file. (Looking at the source code, I suppose it would be possible to amend it to do that but I am reluctant to mess with something that currently works OK).

For information: a balance setting of, say, +6 adjusts the left channel by -3dB and the right channel by +3dB (hence the need to keep an eye on the log.txt and gain setting with regard to clipping).

I am using the same version of IE on Windows 7 64bit. Is Silverlight installed on your computer? If so, is it enabled in IE (Alt - Tools - Toolbars and Extensions - All add-ons - Microsoft Silverlight)?
    Last edited by JohnB; 2019-06-18 at 11:52.
    Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Thanks again for your help. Between your replies and calmly reading the manual, I have a better understanding of what's going on. I've set the Gain to -10dB and that seems a good balance between the volume being too low in my system and seeing excessive clipping. The Silverlight problem may be a x64/x86 thing; instead I can access settings via my Squeezebox phone apps (Squeeze Commander and Orange Squeeze).

What I found initially confusing is that you can only see a limited range of adjustment (for Balance and Width, for example). If you wish to go beyond this range, you need to select the most extreme value visible then "back & re-select" and additional range options will appear beyond the extreme you selected. Setting Balance to "2" (left down 1dB/right up 1dB) took several of these back-and-forth iterations to finally see the radio button for the setting I wanted.

One thing not covered in the manual: does Inguz interfere with ReplayGain (Smart Gain)?
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2019-06-18 at 13:41.

Sorry, I have no idea whether Inguz interferes with ReplayGain. I would guess not but the only way to find out is to see what happens.

Yes, it is a tedious to change Balance, Equalization etc with a tablet/smartphone app - partly because the settings have increments of 0.1 (set in index.html). It would be a good idea to see why the Inguz web interface doesn't work on your IE. You might be right that it is a x86/x64 thing but:

I would open IE
    Press Alt
    Select Tools
    Select "Manage Addons"
    Change "Currently Loaded Add-ons" to "All add-ons" (bottom of the LH panel)
    Scroll down to "Microsoft Corporation"
    If "Microsoft Silverlight" isn't present in the list it is likely that it isn't installed on your computer. (The installation file can be downloaded from Microsoft.)
    If "Microsoft Silverlight" is present in the list it should be set to "Enabled"

As I said, I mainly use iPeng on an iPad to control LMS (including Inguz) and it works pretty well - but there are occasions when it is convenient to use the web interface for Inguz.

(By the way, when I want to disable Inguz I do so by disabling the Inguz options in the Filetypes.)
    Last edited by JohnB; 2019-06-19 at 04:29.
    Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Silverlight is installed and enabled. I found easiest way to adjust settings is to edit the target player's config file.

Have been using Inguz for a few days now and have discovered that mono (one-channel) tracks play back greatly reduced in volume. If I convert these tracks to "dual-mono", i.e. two-channels both the same, then normal volume is restored. Any idea on how to get around this, or is it just part of what Inguz does? Thanks.

Odd. I'll do some tests later today.

Well, I've confirmed your findings. On a test with pick noise the mono single channel was approx 8 or 9dB quieter.

I would guess that it is a bug but that doesn't get us much further. Sorry I don't have a resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    Well, I've confirmed your findings.
    Thanks for trying it yourself. I solved the problem the "brute force" way: converted all my one-channel FLAC to "dual-mono" 2-channel. The files are no larger so I guess FLAC must record this using a flag rather than storing two identical channels.