Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    What geek is going to pay for a Cloud based solution when a VPN costs jack?
    Probably limited, but I unfortunately I fit into this category as I can't use a VPN.
    Last edited by markm9999; 2018-12-17 at 02:19.
    Player: 1 x Transporter w/Trans-knob, 2 x Touch (Active, 3 x Spares), 4 x Boom (Active, 9 x Spares)
    Server: 1 x Win Server (ESXi 6.x) w/LMS, 1 x HP 24" Touch Screen PC w/LMS & SqueezePlay
    Control: 4 x w/iPeng, 1 x Samsung Note 4, 3ea x Fire 7", 8Ē tablets, 1 x 10" all w/SqueezeCtrl & Player (Angry Goat)
    Audio: Mark Levinson 23.5 Amp, 380s Pre, 390s CD, B&W 801 II, Acoustic Energy AE-2 signature, SOTA Sapphire table

Computer geek/tech hoarder(!), and DAMN I love the LMS/Squeeze infrastructure!

Quote Originally Posted by markm9999 View Post
    Probably limited, but I unfortunately I fit into this category as I can't use a VPN.
    Are you sure you CAN'T use a VPN ? Is it a technical reason or your skill level ?

If you can open a port on your router and have a fixed ip address (or a method to automatically find your ip address ( google "dynamic dns")) then with help you can use a VPN

If you can do the above then a way I can think of will cost you a raspberry pi, some time and possibly a small price of a subscription to a dynamic dns service.

Basically get a pi, install PiVPN and setup open a port on the router for PiVPN to communicate on. http://www.pivpn.io/

I will not be of great help to you here as I use a different system but I'm sure you'll get help on these forums and the PiVPN forum

EDIT: Though if you can use a router with VPN server it migt actually be simpler and of simillar cost

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

NOTE: I reference SubSonic below alot because it is the piece of software that I most recently began playing with when I started this thread. Feel free to substitute ANY software capable of making your personal music available to a 'web/app player'.

Again, respectfully, I never said it HAD to be a cloud service, or at least start out as one. SubSonic doesn't as it relies on you/it opening a FW port.

Initially it could start out as an 'open port' on our firewall - after all, SubSonic or a VPN needs one anyway.
    External IP existence would be through any one of the many domain to IP services out on the Internet.

If it were a cloud service, to answer the question of a subscription fee directly - $5-10/mo, but for the higher level there would probably need to be some other value added benefit for most people.

As far as gauging interest & funding potential, I suggested setting up a 'gofundme' type account. Until it hits a certain level, no work need be done.
    Another funding source is in-app ads which is what SubSonic does, unless you're a 'premium' member.
    I'm sure there are others, such as an in-app purchase to enable this feature
    But maybe it's not worth the effort - fine.

So now I'll ask the question that I can't answer and into territory that I only have a cursory knowledge of at best-
    Personally, my thought was more along the lines of an app that runs within our home network that acts as an LMS proxy, but provides the needed security that LMS lacks. It would provide a feed over https to a stripped down 'player only' app on the phone - since there is no reason to control all of LMS. At least initially, 'user' security could be through some sort of certificate that could be imported into the app, distributed via email.

Could the LMS proxy server app run in some kind of 'sandbox' to prevent other potential of hackery?

Is there any existing open source software, that's fairly well tested, that could be used to piece something like this together 75% of the way?

Finally on the subject, since the major players in this space believe this issue to be a dead/silly idea/not worth the effort, I'll drop it, and simply try to find a product like SubSonic, et. al., but if possible with an internet proxy.

2 additional things-
    Pippin, is there any chance you'd consider adding an SSH option to your app in particular, similar to how the old SoftSqueeze emulator did?
    In my use case, a VPN will not work due to traffic restrictions, as well as internet radio services, etc. - but SSH is allowed, or can be granted.

Again, this could be provided in a special 'player only' product that costs extra that I would willingly pay.

Also, to all - I know there is already a plugin for LMS to talk to SubSonic and feed it - I assume it's acting like a SubSonic player.
    Does anyone know if there something to do this in the opposite direction? i.e. something like a SubSonic plugin that can 'pull' from LMS (?), or is there some other method that could achieve this I've missed?
    The idea would be to isolate the 2 products for security, firewalled to only allow specific traffic between the to 'systems'
    Yes, Iíll look into using SSH as well but Iíll have Tomate how that looks from a legal POV.
    Encryption is a PITA on the app stores, Iíll have to see what Apple supports for tunnels and OS-Level key handling and what this means for the US Govt, reporting requirements which are already a bit annoying today even though I just use SSL.

The problem with Ąjust having a piece of software within your network handling securityď is that this piece of software is the open to all kinds of hacking activity from the internet and if it gets hacked youĎve got an open proxy within your network.
    This might be offered by whoever likes to offer it, Iím not going to do it, itís conceptually insecure so you have to do a LOT of work to stay up to date with it.
    Router vendors do that, itís their job, I donít, Iím not experienced enough in terms of security software.

A cloud based solution has the advantage that you can use outgoing connections to reach it so even if itís breached, itís just the cloud server, not the customersĎ networks that is affected. Itís bad enough but you can shut it down and repair it and everything and you donít necessarily have to expose user data.
    Thatís the only model _I_ would consider.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Just so we are at the same page . The VPN solutions used for this purpose is not the same as you use to log on to work or a custommer site or redirect all our web browser traffic or to,pretend you in a different country anything like that .
    These will probably have unwanted side effects , this kind of solution would be awkward and not user friendly .
    But whatís used here is just a vpn server on your router or a rpi that lets your phone tunnel home to our private network and on iPhone you can turn on and off the ovp app so itís not used when not wanted . And itís not affecting your home network in any other way ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Are you sure you CAN'T use a VPN ?...
    In my normal use case, it's not viable, but that's not to say at other times it couldn't be used.
    Player: 1 x Transporter w/Trans-knob, 2 x Touch (Active, 3 x Spares), 4 x Boom (Active, 9 x Spares)
    Server: 1 x Win Server (ESXi 6.x) w/LMS, 1 x HP 24" Touch Screen PC w/LMS & SqueezePlay
    Control: 4 x w/iPeng, 1 x Samsung Note 4, 3ea x Fire 7", 8Ē tablets, 1 x 10" all w/SqueezeCtrl & Player (Angry Goat)
    Audio: Mark Levinson 23.5 Amp, 380s Pre, 390s CD, B&W 801 II, Acoustic Energy AE-2 signature, SOTA Sapphire table

Computer geek/tech hoarder(!), and DAMN I love the LMS/Squeeze infrastructure!

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Just so we are at the same page . The VPN solutions used for this purpose is not the same as you use to log on to work or a custommer site or redirect all our web browser traffic or to,pretend you in a different country anything like that .
    These will probably have unwanted side effects , this kind of solution would be awkward and not user friendly .
    But whatís used here is just a vpn server on your router or a rpi that lets your phone tunnel home to our private network and on iPhone you can turn on and off the ovp app so itís not used when not wanted . And itís not affecting your home network in any other way ?
    There are networks blocking VPN traffic. You can see it in some hotel WiFi setups (where it's the most awkward thing one could do and definitely a reason to not use that hotel again) but also e.g. corporate networks who don't want people to connect home or to whatever site they don't like.
    It's generally a thing people do who do not want people on their network to do unmonitored communication.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

Hi,

Pippin "Not all are using Fritzboxes" means fritzbox vpn is using old IKE and you cant build something that uses ike and SSL.

And then to the TO:
    Another funding source is in-app ads which is what SubSonic does, unless you're a 'premium' member.
    This should say you something...

What is the most used way to get strange things to the customers pc?
    • Using a DNS name like foogle.com or xoutube.com
    • Hacking and adverb server that allows you with a single hacked Server to have more than one distribution for your stuff and have a nice FQDN for the customer.

And there are many many more - but the 2nd line is the prefered one.

You need to learn a little bit to understand whats going on today and what going on tomorow in these guys - you never know until tomorrow and some months later.

In my normal use case, it's not viable, but that's not to say at other times it couldn't be used.
    But you initial question was "Stream LMS music to Ipeng mobile phone when outside wifi coverage?" are you saying your mobile phone network blocks VPN's

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    But you initial question was "Stream LMS music to Ipeng mobile phone when outside wifi coverage?" are you saying your mobile phone network blocks VPN's

Jeff
    Yes that i just use 4G on my phone.

I see Pippins piont if my phone is on my corporate wlan at the office .
    Or sometimes it just dont work when iím on some peoples wlan bit works very well on others.
    Then iím back at 4G.

What limititations do we experience or expect with subsonic or similar app solutions ?
    Iím out knowledge here . Can a dedicated app or cloudservice be much better ?
    I suspect there is a difference here a VPN or SSH for lack of a better word conects a device or a network to a different network ?
    Other solutions does not do that its just the app doing its thing like anything else on the phone ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Regarding ads: iPeng is a paid app and an expensive one as well. There's no way I'm going to do ads in iPeng.
    For this (Cloud based solution with running costs) it would have to be a subscription.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com