Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stream LMS music to Ipeng mobile phone when outside wifi coverage?

Is it possible to stream music to Ipeng on an iPhone when I'm outside the house?
    If yes - does it exist some kind of noob setup explanation somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by SyrinxGC View Post
    Is it possible to stream music to Ipeng on an iPhone when I'm outside the house?
    If yes - does it exist some kind of noob setup explanation somewhere?
    The only safe way is with a VPN, unfortunately its not NOOB friendly !

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

There's this:
    https://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-t...mote-playback/

That said: I definitely do NOT recommend to open a port to the internet instead of using a VPN, it's not safe.

We plan to add a VPN configuration capability to iPeng itself that would allow you to have iPeng automatically use the VPN when connecting to your server. You'd still have to set it up in your router but you'd be spared the manual steps of having to enable it every time you want to use iPeng on the cellular network.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    We plan to add a VPN configuration capability to iPeng itself that would allow you to have iPeng automatically use the VPN when connecting to your server. You'd still have to set it up in your router but you'd be spared the manual steps of having to enable it every time you want to use iPeng on the cellular network.
    That sounds a great idea, looking forward to that !

As pippin says a router with inbuilt VPN server makes it a little easier for the NOOB (Though not easy still)

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

We plan to add a VPN configuration capability to iPeng itself
    Hi Pippin,

sounds like a great Idea, but remember there are not only fritzboxusers outside and there are fritzboxusers outside ;-)

heads up

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    sounds like a great Idea, but remember there are not only fritzboxusers outside and there are fritzboxusers outside ;-)
    Sure. But besides Fritz!Box... most routers you'd buy yourself today have VPN-functionality. OK, granted, some of the cheapo-devices ISPs give away don't have it, but if you are really interested in such a feature, it might be a worthwhile investment.
    Besides that, NAS are also quite popular among Squeezebox users and a lot of modern NAS (Synology, Qnap,...) also offer easy to configure VPNs.

So I think it's doable and compared to the risk (and complications) of port forwarding, it's worth it.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Sure. But besides Fritz!Box... most routers you'd buy yourself today have VPN-functionality. OK, granted, some of the cheapo-devices ISPs give away don't have it, but if you are really interested in such a feature, it might be a worthwhile investment.
    Besides that, NAS are also quite popular among Squeezebox users and a lot of modern NAS (Synology, Qnap,...) also offer easy to configure VPNs.

So I think it's doable and compared to the risk (and complications) of port forwarding, it's worth it.
    As iPeng is iOS based you need to recognise that PPTP based VPN is a no no but I can confirm that L2TP is still ok but my preferred method is SSL VPN Tunnel as I use a high end Draytek router that supports this (along with PPTP, L2TP and Ipsec). You need a separate app on the iPhone to set up the SSL connection but once done it appears in the standard VPN part of Settings.

A decent router is a very worthwhile investment.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

I hate to be the fart in church, but we all know what is REALLY needed.

I tried to touch on this in my post of 12/06/2018 https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-Mobile-Player ...and got the usual VPN talk - just STOP

Yes, I know it's the only way RIGHT NOW, but let's not pretend a full blown VPN is the only way it can be done.

A true streaming API interface integrated into the LMS ecosystem is what's sorely needed

I'm not a 'developer', I'm barely a code tinkerer at this point, but I do understand that this isn't necessarily an easy thing to do.

Pipin/Others,

Is their an existing open source project (even if it does more than needed right now - strip it down later) that could be integrated fairly easily into LMS to either produce something like SubSonic, but with the multi-account sign-in & proxying capabilities of Tonido - which bypasses the need for pretty much any router changes so it's noob friendly.

If a ground-up build is truly needed, make it exclusive to your iPeng app for now, then open it up later, or maybe team up with OrangeSqueeze/SqueezeCTRL/others developers in a joint project (if this isn't your area of expertise).

Lets think outside of the box on this-
    An ad vs premium model ala SubSonic might be a way to recoup costs and provide future revenue.
    -OR-
    If you're initially opposed to this, how about a gofundme to gauge interest and to cover the initial costs, with people who donate receiving some kind of benefit depending on the level of donation?

I'd certainly be willing to make a nice donation to achieve this goal, and bring LMS fully into the modern era.

EDIT 1:
    https://www.google.com/search?client...h+media+server

Some found links to check out...
    https://github.com/foobarjo/SqueezeSonic
    https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...?f=6&t=1375425
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...for-Squeezebox
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-away-from-LMS

EDIT 2:
    The links I posted are not the answer to the question, I posted them to show there has been an interest in this for a LONG time all over the web
    People who love LMS, but are 'forced' to move away because of it's lack of offsite streaming capabilities...
    Last edited by markm9999; 2018-12-14 at 23:48.
    Player: 1 x Transporter w/Trans-knob, 2 x Touch (Active, 3 x Spares), 4 x Boom (Active, 9 x Spares)
    Server: 1 x Win Server (ESXi 6.x) w/LMS, 1 x HP 24" Touch Screen PC w/LMS & SqueezePlay
    Control: 4 x w/iPeng, 1 x Samsung Note 4, 3ea x Fire 7", 8ö tablets, 1 x 10" all w/SqueezeCtrl & Player (Angry Goat)
    Audio: Mark Levinson 23.5 Amp, 380s Pre, 390s CD, B&W 801 II, Acoustic Energy AE-2 signature, SOTA Sapphire table

Computer geek/tech hoarder(!), and DAMN I love the LMS/Squeeze infrastructure!

I did my part by making this meme!

Name:  c'mon, you know you want to make external streaming possible.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  16.0 KB
    Player: 1 x Transporter w/Trans-knob, 2 x Touch (Active, 3 x Spares), 4 x Boom (Active, 9 x Spares)
    Server: 1 x Win Server (ESXi 6.x) w/LMS, 1 x HP 24" Touch Screen PC w/LMS & SqueezePlay
    Control: 4 x w/iPeng, 1 x Samsung Note 4, 3ea x Fire 7", 8ö tablets, 1 x 10" all w/SqueezeCtrl & Player (Angry Goat)
    Audio: Mark Levinson 23.5 Amp, 380s Pre, 390s CD, B&W 801 II, Acoustic Energy AE-2 signature, SOTA Sapphire table

Computer geek/tech hoarder(!), and DAMN I love the LMS/Squeeze infrastructure!

Stream LMS music to Ipeng mobilephone when outside wifi coverage?

> Yes, I know it's the only way RIGHT NOW, but let's not pretend a full
    > blown VPN is the only way it can be done.

It's not the only one, but the most reasonable one.

When it comes to security there's one very important rule: don't do it
    yourself. You WILL fail. Just last week another breach in Facebook was
    communicated. And that's a multi-billion dollar company.

> I'm not a 'developer', I'm barely a code tinkerer at this point, but I
    > do understand that this isn't necessarily an easy thing to do.

> Lets think outside of the box on this-
    > An ad vs premium model ala SubSonic might be a way to recoup costs and
    > provide future revenue.
    > -OR-
    > If you're initially opposed to this, how about a gofundme to gauge
    > interest and to cover the initial costs, with people who donate
    > receiving some kind of benefit depending on the level of donation?

If you're not a developer, are you a in finance or marketing? Do you
    have any idea how much that infrastructure would cost? How many users
    would have to pay a monthly few dollars to cover for this cost? Who's
    going to run and maintain it?

--

Michael