Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Secure Remote Streaming to Mobile Player

Hi,

I know this question or similar has been asked many times before, but now that mobile streaming is all the rage with the hip young kids, I was wondering if someone has come up with a solution...

I've been doing some searching and tested 2 other products that allow secure External Streaming- i.e. Tonido & SubSonic, on both VortexBox as well as native Windows installs of both these products.

Tonido is nice because the service proxies the stream (+1 for that)
    SubSonic relies on a port forwarding setup within your router (it tries to do it for you via UPNP). Not really a fan of that.

Both of there products use HTTPS, well the SubSonic setup of this is a manual process .

Since we all know (cough..) that we should NEVER expose the LMS server directly to the Internet, I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a solution (software and/or services stack) to allow our favorite mobile players to connect to LMS like the Tonido & Subsonic players can.

If it matters, I've also tested encapsulating the LMS servers HTTP stream via 'stunnel', and can get to LMS without issue this way, including the ../stream.mp3 method of playing tunes.

Are there any others options that should be looked at? Mobile apps that setup a lighter weight proxy tunnel, rather than a full blown VPN connection?

Would this take both a server-side component (Could this be done with a plugin?) and would the players need modifications also?

Has anyone overcome these challenges yet?

Obviously, the best option would be something that fully encapsulates LMS, with features like:
    • Proxying of the the stream
    • A frontend login with multiple usernames/passwords
    • Accounts would have restrictions on what the mobile player can do when it's operating in truly mobile mode -
      • Whether it can only control itself or other players
      • Whether is can change server settings/cause a rescan, etc.

I for one would LOVE to have Pippin of iPeng fame build this missing piece, and then charge a small annual fee for access
    Player: 1 x Transporter w/Trans-knob, 2 x Touch (Active, 3 x Spares), 4 x Boom (Active, 9 x Spares)
    Server: 1 x Win Server (ESXi 6.x) w/LMS, 1 x HP 24" Touch Screen PC w/LMS & SqueezePlay
    Control: 4 x w/iPeng, 1 x Samsung Note 4, 3ea x Fire 7", 8ö tablets, 1 x 10" all w/SqueezeCtrl & Player (Angry Goat)
    Audio: Mark Levinson 23.5 Amp, 380s Pre, 390s CD, B&W 801 II, Acoustic Energy AE-2 signature, SOTA Sapphire table

Computer geek/tech hoarder(!), and DAMN I love the LMS/Squeeze infrastructure!

I am using a full blown VPN connection because:

Its not some special limited wtf product no more than a handful of hip kids is using
    I am pretty sure all my devices and the devices i do buy / use in the future can handle it.
    And if there is a security hole in the product - its fixable and it would be fixed.

I haven't found a easy way so I went for Plex. Works great and have a nice GUI.
    SB Touch optical to Hegel H90, Boston Acoustics A2
    Spare SB3
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro A10
    SB BOOM @work, AUX, Squeezelite-x connected to home LMS with Neorouter.
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

VPN is the only safe way to do this.
    Decent router that incorporates a VPN server or build your own with a Pi etc.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    I am using a full blown VPN connection because:

Its not some special limited wtf product no more than a handful of hip kids is using
    I am pretty sure all my devices and the devices i do buy / use in the future can handle it.
    And if there is a security hole in the product - its fixable and it would be fixed.
    So you use a VPN over a cellular connection to your phone to stream music in your car traveling down the road?
    Player: 1 x Transporter w/Trans-knob, 2 x Touch (Active, 3 x Spares), 4 x Boom (Active, 9 x Spares)
    Server: 1 x Win Server (ESXi 6.x) w/LMS, 1 x HP 24" Touch Screen PC w/LMS & SqueezePlay
    Control: 4 x w/iPeng, 1 x Samsung Note 4, 3ea x Fire 7", 8ö tablets, 1 x 10" all w/SqueezeCtrl & Player (Angry Goat)
    Audio: Mark Levinson 23.5 Amp, 380s Pre, 390s CD, B&W 801 II, Acoustic Energy AE-2 signature, SOTA Sapphire table

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    VPN is the only safe way to do this.
    Decent router that incorporates a VPN server or build your own with a Pi etc.
    A VPN is fine and all, but what I was looking to discover (or encourage the build of) is providing a safe way to use iPeng, OrangeSqueeze, etc. without opening any ports (VPN or otherwise) at my home, or other less tech savvy folk.

Quote Originally Posted by markm9999 View Post
    A VPN is fine and all, but what I was looking to discover (or encourage the build of) is providing a safe way to use iPeng, OrangeSqueeze, etc. without opening any ports (VPN or otherwise) at my home, or other less tech savvy folk.
    Maybe the need you're describing is - more or less - fulfilled by the offline albums function in Spotify and Tidal apps? I don't know if that function (to play selected albums from your home LMS library on your mobile) exists in iPeng or OrangeSqueeze or any LMS control app. It may of course, I haven't looked myself.

Perhaps ask in the iPeng thread if that function (managing and playing offline own music) is available?
    2 Touch, 1 Picoreplayer 4.1.0 on RaspBerry 3B with 7" display
    LMS latest nightly on Ubuntu 18.04.1 on Intel Core2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz, 2GB
    All wired

Quote Originally Posted by BosseJ View Post
    Maybe the need you're describing is - more or less - fulfilled by the offline albums function in Spotify and Tidal apps? I don't know if that function (to play selected albums from your home LMS library on your mobile) exists in iPeng or OrangeSqueeze or any LMS control app. It may of course, I haven't looked myself.

Perhaps ask in the iPeng thread if that function (managing and playing offline own music) is available?
    To complement: it has been discussed before (in 2016) - see here.
    2 Touch, 1 Picoreplayer 4.1.0 on RaspBerry 3B with 7" display
    LMS latest nightly on Ubuntu 18.04.1 on Intel Core2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz, 2GB
    All wired

Airsonic proxy

Airsonic is a fork of subsonic and does have instructions on setting up proxy (have not used them yet). Would this setup be secure and lightweight?

https://airsonic.github.io/docs/proxy/prerequisites/

Edit: I just gave it a go and have the proxy set up with Apache. Couple of gotcha's from the instructions:
    - don't let certbot create redirection from http to https
    - besides activating all the apache modules mentioned, you also need
    Code:
    a2enmod headers
    Airsonic documentation is excellent.
    Last edited by matka; 2018-12-08 at 12:37. Reason: Proxy setup
    George

Transporter->Pathos Logos->Triangle Celius
    Touch->Denon AVRS530BT -> Paradigm Monitor 7
    2 Duets, 1 SB3, 1 Touch, 1 Radio, Transporter
    OnePlus3 -> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, NAD Viso
    2 servers -> Ubuntu Linux, NUC and Synology 1 Bay

Quote Originally Posted by markm9999 View Post
    So you use a VPN over a cellular connection to your phone to stream music in your car traveling down the road?
    Exactly ;-)

The Audio System in my Car(s) is a bitunperferct High End System located behind the front bulkhead and the volume regulator is under my right foot

And most common usage for my phone is use it as a phone and never in the car (s) ;-)

btw: In Germany its forbidden to use a Phone while driving.