Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    It looks like the video content is causing the problem. Try the ffmpeg following command - it strips the video track out.
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i DIY.m4a -vn -c:a copy DIY-novideo.m4a
    The "-vn" means no video
    The "-c:a copy" means straight copy of audio codec.
    Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! This works perfectly! Thank you also for your comments about the ffmpeg documentation. I made a good living as a mainframe programmer for decades, so it's always more than a little embarrassing when I try to read documentation and find that I just don't get it.

Thank you also to JohnB: MP4Box also worked as long as I did a two-step process by first going to an .aac file, then converting that .aac to .m4a. Given how fast it worked, I'm confident there was no re-encoding.

That in turn gave me the idea to try a two-step approach with ffmpeg, and that also worked. Telling ffmpeg to go MP4->.aac->.m4a made LMS happy, but obviously any true one-line solution is going to be preferable. I've encapsulated it in a bash script file with lots of comments.

Now I'm off to score a copy of that record and play with the YouTube plugin.

Thank you everyone again very, very much!

Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    That in turn gave me the idea to try a two-step approach with ffmpeg, and that also worked. Telling ffmpeg to go MP4->.aac->.m4a made LMS happy, but obviously any true one-line solution is going to be preferable. I've encapsulated it in a bash script file with lots of comments.
    You should be able to use "-vn -c:a copy" in your command and so have a single step ffmpeg conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    You should be able to use "-vn -c:a copy" in your command and so have a single step ffmpeg conversion.
    Yes...bad wording on my part. I meant that I had discovered the two-step process before reading your post and am happy that you were able to give me a very useful all-in-one method.

A curious thing with some (but not all) YouTube videos: You can download lower-resolution video with better audio, higher-resolution video with lesser audio or silent video at even higher resolutions. So if you want to make the best version of that "Atom Heart Mother" performance for yourself, you need to download the silent video, then download one with reasonable audio, demux the audio and mux it with the better video. Fortunately, it almost takes longer to explain than to do.