Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    you're the man!
    -----------------------------------------------
    1 x Touch, 2 x Radio, 2 x software player, LMS 7.9.0

There have been some amazing developments on this forum over the years, but I have to say that this is one of the most impressive. From a standing start to a PCB and BOM in no time at all - well done everyone. This is going to open the floodgates on bespoke Squeezebox projects.

Quote Originally Posted by slimhase View Post
    That sounds great!
    Can't wait tying it - currently waiting for more ESP modules to arrive.

One question for understanding, though:
    From what I read here the current bins are close to exceeding 2MB. To my understanding you need bin-size x 2 amount of memory for OTA.
    I currently use WROVER with 4MB flash (and 8MB PSRAM)...
    -> Can you use PSRAM to store the OTA update?
    -> Or do we need then WROVER w/ 8MB flash? (is that even available?)
    The idea of a factory bootloader is to have a very low footprint program running on a factory partition. Ideally, you want to keep it as small as possible (~1mb or so). The bootloader is responsible to help with configuring wifi, uploading a new version of the squeezelite-esp32 firmware, etc. This is pretty much a static program that provides a "bootstrap" mechanism. Loading the squeezelite firmware is done by saving a binary to a different partition (in our case, we will have a little over ~2.6Mb free or so). Once the firmware has been successfully written, the bootloader sets a flag so at the next boot, the app is executed. If anything goes wrong during saving (for example, power is lost, etc), then the next reboot will launch the bootloader and not the corrupted app. Basically, this makes your device "brick-proof".

During boot time, the bootloader will be able to configure WiFi and check for software updates. From there, we will have to decide if the update will be automatic and, if not, how we interact with users so they can decide when to do it. For example, we could turn one of the leds on (or display a message on the UI when we get to the screen implementation). A crude approach that might work is : if an update is found, turn on a led. If user long-presses on button xyz (for example the equivalent of the "prog" button on the ESP32), then reboot in bootloader and update the firmware.

The next responsibility of the bootloader (at least in our case) will be to configure wifi during boot time. Ideally, you have a few slots where you can save multiple access points credentials in case you want to roam around with the device. The device will try to connect to one of the saved access points and, after a timeout period, reboot to bootloader if none could be connected to (given that we support bluetooth sink, I'm thinking we would not do that in our case, and make sure our BT core doesn't crap out if there is no WiFi). A method to initiate the bootloader (and associated access point) is necessary. I'm thinking the "long press" button described above might just do the trick.

Hope this helps.

As for progress, I was hopeful in leveraging lws-esp32-factory (see https://github.com/warmcat/lws-esp32-factory). I had to create a separate msys32 instance (I'm on Windows 10), then install a brand new "old version" of the ESP-IDF toolchain to get things up and running. Then I wrote a custom plugin for the platform to support configuring command line options (e.g. our Autoexec). I got the bootloader to boot up and I was able to upload a firmware to the ESP32!

Then, after rebooting, things went south and I need to figure out what is happening. Something's wrong in the very early stage of the boot process, which causes the ESP32 to enter a boot loop where a crash occurs around esp_pm_configure (config->light_sleep_enable not supported) and esp_dport_access_stall_other_cpu_end_wrap calling DPORT_STALL_OTHER_CPU_END();

Thanks - I'd class-D, so yes PWM,MOSFET,Filter, hence excellent yield, but still heat will be an issue at high power. Candidely, I don't know how it will behave at constant high power, I would think a fan is needed. I'm not using it at super high volume
    And I'll be working to understand the thermals of the board at some point, with the help of a seek thermal pro camera. I will definitely post some pictures here, testing various types and size of heat sink, fans or combinations of both. Fan could be very simply added as an enclosure specific device with its own control mechanism (e.g. a fixed point thermal switch or something like that).

Nice progress! I love to see that this project happens and not just hang in the cloud...

So I guess it would end up in a soldering-lesson for me. I had a lot of problems in the past to solder tiny pins like this what I can see on your photos.

What is the plan now to distribute these boards to as many people as possible?
    Should we start with creating a list with people who want a device (or more than 1) with some location data?

Another chance would be to gerber PCB's and solder all the parts in a manufacture in CN?
    It sounds crazy but why should this not be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by JunkAHung View Post
    Nice progress! I love to see that this project happens and not just hang in the cloud...

So I guess it would end up in a soldering-lesson for me. I had a lot of problems in the past to solder tiny pins like this what I can see on your photos.

What is the plan now to distribute these boards to as many people as possible?
    Should we start with creating a list with people who want a device (or more than 1) with some location data?

Another chance would be to gerber PCB's and solder all the parts in a manufacture in CN?
    It sounds crazy but why should this not be possible?
    If there is enough people interested, we can order letĺs say 30+ of these to the PCB maker Iĺm using as they can also do the full assembly. So no soldering would be involved :-). But that make sense only if you ask them for at least 20-30 units
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

I just wanted to thank @bgiraut for having been there with a proof that the esp32 was capable of streaming from LMS. It basically sent me down a rabbit hole in which others fell into as well. Seeing the board that @philippe_44 came up with is heart warming and makes it all worth it. It has so far been an amazing journey into squeezelite which, I have to say, had a solid core base to extend upon (hello @Ralphy and Adrien/@triode)

There is still a lot of opportunity for someone to join:
    - developing a UI is on my roadmap, but still not in the near horizon
    - designing a nice looking enclosure (laser cutting panels, 3d printed if thermal is ok, existing metal enclsosure, etc)
    - enclosure with full range driver design, anyone?
    - what else?