Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    My testing was with delay to zero - which should be the norm - problems system such as single core CPUs or some WIndows system needed bigger delays.

The problem with 1.6.0 was that frequently with the delay setting at zero - there would be an unnecessary 5 sec delay added depending on arithmetic.
    But I was just wondering why you thought the startup time was too fast in 1.6.1.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    But I was just wondering why you thought the startup time was too fast in 1.6.1.
    DASH live stream is made up of chunk which are 6.4 secs long. Each chunk has a time stamp - from log chunk 241214374 si for 02-12-2018 17:33:13.600 . If the plugin calculates the URL incorrectly it will ask for a chunk that is not yeat broadcast - if chunk number is just one too big - then it will be 6.4 secs into the future and so will be returned 403 Forbidden.

DASH live stream is made up of chunk which are 6.4 secs long. Each chunk has a time stamp - from log chunk 241214374 si for 02-12-2018 17:33:13.600 . If the plugin calculates the URL incorrectly it will ask for a chunk that is not yeat broadcast - if chunk number is just one too big - then it will be 6.4 secs into the future and so will be returned 403 Forbidden.
    I understand that but DASH for UK live streams works for me in the new version. Do you think some users will have issues?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I understand that but DASH for UK live streams works for me in the new version. Do you think some users will have issues?
    It's possible.

The workaround for a user with the problem is to set "Seconds to delay start live stream" to 5 secs and that would ensure the chunk number is incremented by 1.

What I find very strange is that from the log it looks like the HLS stream also had a 403. I changed the HLS to use HTTP 1.1 but that won't change the URLs being requested. A simple answer would be that the BBC (or akamai) think the user is not in the UK explain non UK working but noth that HLS and DASH UK live are OK when revert back to 1.6.0.

This UK/not UK issue can be sort of confirmed by the log showing a 403 on the DASH top URL which is not time locked.
    Code:
    Failed URL: http://as-dash-uk-live.akamaized.net/pool_6/live/bbc_radio_fourfm/bbc_radio_fourfm.isml/dash/bbc_radio_fourfm-audio=320000.dash
    Last edited by bpa; 2018-12-02 at 12:44.

Quote Originally Posted by slackhead View Post
    It set to the default HLS > Dash > MP3 > FlashAAC > FlashMP3 and highest bitrate.
    OK - it explains why HLS failed before DASH.

Are you really in the UK and not using any smartDNS or VPN or other special network. The 403 errors from both HLS and the initial DASH really make it look like you are trying to play UK only URLs from a non UK site.
    Last edited by bpa; 2018-12-02 at 12:49. Reason: clarifications

Thanks for this bpa.

I've just installed this and it's great to have all my BBC station logos back again! However, for some reason, although live output is fine, the Listen Again options don't work. I get an error 'Cannot open file for <file name>'.

Any ideas please?

OK - it explains why HLS failed before DASH.

Are you really in the UK and not using any smartDNS or VPN or other special network. The 403 errors from both HLS and the initial DASH really make it look like you are trying to play UK only URLs from a non UK site.
    I am in the UK. I do however make use of a VPN outside the UK for some of my internet traffic but not for squeezebox (which is routed directly to my UK ISP). My DNS requests get routed through the VPN so I guess that may well be causing the issue. It was working without problem previously - has something changed regarding DNS with the 1.6.1?

I've tried re-configuring my firewall to route the DNS for my player to bypass the VPN, but this hasn't worked so far. Do I need to be concerned about DNS from the server as well?

Quote Originally Posted by slackhead View Post
    I am in the UK. I do however make use of a VPN outside the UK for some of my internet traffic but not for squeezebox (which is routed directly to my UK ISP). My DNS requests get routed through the VPN so I guess that may well be causing the issue. It was working without problem previously - has something changed regarding DNS with the 1.6.1?

I've tried re-configuring my firewall to route the DNS for my player to bypass the VPN, but this hasn't worked so far. Do I need to be concerned about DNS from the server as well?
    Nothing has changed in terms of URLs.

The main Live UK URLs use Akamai CDN, can you try the "Listen Live alt CDN" at the bottom of the main BBCiPlayer menu - this uses Limelight CDN URLs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_G View Post
    Thanks for this bpa.

I've just installed this and it's great to have all my BBC station logos back again! However, for some reason, although live output is fine, the Listen Again options don't work. I get an error 'Cannot open file for <file name>'.

Any ideas please?
    I've fixed it. I saw an earlier post which listed the default settings for 'On Demand Stream Preference'. Mine was set up differently from ages ago, so I changed it to the default. Oddly, I still get the error message appearing when I select a programme, but it plays fine.

Maybe I'm starting to get the hang of this!

can you try the "Listen Live alt CDN" at the bottom of the main BBCiPlayer menu - this uses Limelight CDN URLs.
    No joy I'm afraid.