Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 133 of 146 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1451
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    OK - all the symptoms are consistent with a really really bad wifi connection. Have you considered powerline.
    I hadn't thought of powerline, but it might be worth a go before I start drilling. The room is on the same circuit as the rest of the house so in theory it should work. Though I'd prefer not to spend another couple hundred if it's not 99% guaranteed. Plus I'm running out of wall sockets.

If the budget end of the market - like the ú25 TP-link stuff - will do the job then it's a gamble worth taking. If not then I've already got the cable and sockets for my plan to connect up the outside workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Erm View Post
    I hadn't thought of powerline, but it might be worth a go before I start drilling. The room is on the same circuit as the rest of the house so in theory it should work. Though I'd prefer not to spend another couple hundred if it's not 99% guaranteed. Plus I'm running out of wall sockets.

If the budget end of the market - like the ú25 TP-link stuff - will do the job then it's a gamble worth taking. If not then I've already got the cable and sockets for my plan to connect up the outside workshop.
    You don't need to go for the latest models but ones which use earth and not just L &N can provide better connections. Some version have a plug-through capability so no loss of socket.

Do some throughput test with a laptop on various sockets - two sockets on the same circuit in same room can have markedly different throughput with the same remote socket.

Meanwhile, I'll see what can be done with regard to a "max rate setting".
    Last edited by bpa; 2020-08-22 at 05:21. Reason: added throughput test

You'll get differing opinions on ethernet over powerline adapters. I think they tend to either work well or not work. In my own case, at my weekend cottage, I have my LMS server connected via powerline and one of the players connected via powerline. All has worked perfectly for at least 5 years.

I used "Netgear Powerline 500Mbps Nano Adapter (XAVB5101)". I think it was about $40 for two adapters.
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 8.0.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 8.0.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    You'll get differing opinions on ethernet over powerline adapters. I think they tend to either work well or not work. In my own case, at my weekend cottage, I have my LMS server connected via powerline and one of the players connected via powerline. All has worked perfectly for at least 5 years.

I used "Netgear Powerline 500Mbps Nano Adapter (XAVB5101)". I think it was about $40 for two adapters.
    I've gone through multiple generations of powerline from various vendors and it is a bit of hit & miss. Currently Devolo 650 (expensive when new as they were latest tech), in theory deliver 600mbs - connections are usually only 100-200mbs is more than adequate. Mesh wifi doesn't do much better. So strategic CAT5e/CAT6 connection backbone is the next step but it's not easy and have been avoiding it for years.

... After a hard won argument I have been granted permission to fit a chain of (tasteful) RJ45 sockets ...
    As part of a major house refurb I ran CAT5e everywhere around the house I could think of and still wish I'd run a bit more. One tip - most ranges of electrical socket offer a "Euro Faceplate" option for pretty trivial money, into which you can fit standard CAT5e Euro Modules (I used basic Connectix stuff - from here without a single failure). This works out a lot less expensive than using the Cat5e sockets offered by eg MK, blends with your existing power sockets and I think the quality is better as well.
    As to Powerline - I put a couple of mid-range TP-Link units into my parents-in-law 1930's very solid house (having lost the debate about running Cat5e there...) and they work really well - as per previous comments you can ignore the quoted "speeds" but they've transformed the WiFi coverage around their house, so I'm not convinced that it's worth paying the significant premium that Devolo etc. charge.
    Odroid HC1 / Armbian Stretch LMS & LocalPlayer
    4x Slim Devices SB3 (White)
    1x Boom, 1x Radio
    2x Joggler + Squeezeplay / Squeezelite + Topping TP30

The Sleeping Forecast and other BBC Sounds items not in the menus

May I humbly ask if access to this can be added to BBCiPlayer?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08p5jml

thanks for all of your wonderful work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sb42 View Post
    May I humbly ask if access to this can be added to BBCiPlayer?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08p5jml

thanks for all of your wonderful work.
    It already is in iPlayer Extras.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Silly me! I was looking in the T list for 'The Sleeping Forecast'
    Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sb42 View Post
    Silly me! I was looking in the T list for 'The Sleeping Forecast'
    Many thanks!
    I had to search through 5 pages of M to find it

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I tried to use iPlayer Extras today to catch up with Late Junction on BBC R3. First problem was it had disappeared from my menus, and I found that the plugins iPlayer and iPlayer Extras were not active in my plugins. Activated them again, and went back to the interface, and they had appeared again, but nothing plays. I've recently updated, and I'm now on Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - 1599413218 @ Sun Sep 6 19:43:01 WEDT 2020

Is it me, or is something broken?