Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Seeking advice on software for dedicated LMS touchscreen PC client

I have an x86 based touchscreen computer. I'm using this as a dedicated controller/player for LMS. Currently its running Windows 10 and I'm using Squeezeplay. It works pretty good for the most part but I was hoping to make it more like a dedicated LMS device and less like a Windows PC running Squeezeplay. Problems hurting this illusion are the startup sequence (for some reason it opens Squeezeplay in the background so you have to bring it to the foreground to use it), the task bar, even if hidden, sometimes gets triggered when pushing "buttons" near the bottom of the page, like the play and pause on the Now Playing screen, and the title bar which I can't find a way make go away.

I tried throwing Ubuntu on a USB drive to test my computer and it detected the touchscreen and it works so I'm open to using something Linux based. Ideally something like PiCoreplayer, but for x86 instead of the Pi's architecture.

Thanks.

Are you using the computer for the music playback or Squeezebox devices on the network?

Soundicity, not sure if there is any developement on this app

Squeeze Control:

Squeezelite X :

Make a short cut to LMS and place that on the Desktop

In Developement, Material Skin

jivelite

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  181.1 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  187.4 KB

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Are you using the computer for the music playback or Squeezebox devices on the network?
    Thanks for all the info.

This computer is used for both playback and control. For all intents and purposes is should be like a squeezebox touch with no user interface visible other than the controller app. At this point I'm leaning towards linux + jivelite +squeezelite. What I'm not clear on is if I still need a X Window System or if jivelite can display its gui without anything extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking to have something where there is no other gui or windows present but the controller. At this point after reading more I'm thinking Ubuntu Linux + Jivelite + Squeezelite.

Edit: I thought I already replied to this, but I don't see my reply unless there was a message saying it was waiting for moderator approval and I missed the message in which case I apologize.

You donĺt need X to run Jivelite
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by fallenturtle View Post
    Thanks for all the info.

This computer is used for both playback and control. For all intents and purposes is should be like a squeezebox touch with no user interface visible other than the controller app. At this point I'm leaning towards linux + jivelite +squeezelite. What I'm not clear on is if I still need a X Window System or if jivelite can display its gui without anything extra.
    Jivelite can use the linux frame buffer without the need for X.

Depending on the version of linux you choose, you may need to compile jivelite to support it.

You need SDL 1.2 with frame buffer support for it to work.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Do you just want a player?

In either case, you might want to try Daphile with it's 'Local UI' player option turned on to see if it suits your needs.
    I like it because it's a complete package so I don't have to dink around with all the separate components - load OS, etc...

Since any player can be connected to any LMS server, you might now use the LMS server side of this distro, but it's handy if you decide to switch.

I've been bringing fellow music lovers into the SqueezeBox fold after their issues with Sonos, etc. using old PC's and this distro and some players off of eBay for about a year now - and they LOVE THEIR SqueezeBoxes!
    Player: 1 x Transporter w/Trans-knob, 2 x Touch (Active, 3 x Spares), 4 x Boom (Active, 9 x Spares)
    Server: 1 x Win Server (ESXi 6.x) w/LMS, 1 x HP 24" Touch Screen PC w/LMS & SqueezePlay
    Control: 4 x w/iPeng, 1 x Samsung Note 4, 3ea x Fire 7", 8ö tablets, 1 x 10" all w/SqueezeCtrl & Player (Angry Goat)
    Audio: Mark Levinson 23.5 Amp, 380s Pre, 390s CD, B&W 801 II, Acoustic Energy AE-2 signature, SOTA Sapphire table

Computer geek/tech hoarder(!), and DAMN I love the LMS/Squeeze infrastructure!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Jivelite can use the linux frame buffer without the need for X.

Depending on the version of linux you choose, you may need to compile jivelite to support it.

You need SDL 1.2 with frame buffer support for it to work.
    I got everything setup using Ubuntu with a X windows system, but its pretty buggy (sometimes music jumps around or changes tracks randomly, sometimes there are two instances of squeezelite running, sometimes jivelite never connects to squeezelite, etc) so I was thinking of starting over again using one of the server versions of Linux that don't include a GUI and just use CLI. This is still just a player, LMS is running on a networked computer. For an x86 based touchscreen tablet/PC, is there any ideal distro and version of said distro for setting this all up?

Would I be better off using Squeezeplay instead of Squeezelite+Jivelite?

Daphile sounds cool, but I want to take advantage of the tablet and its touchscreen display.

If you have Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education you should be able to configure it to single app kiosk mode, should get rid of the issues you have with SqueezePlay on Windows

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...osk-single-app
    "You know, I'm all for progress. It's change I object to."
    Mark Twain

LMS 7.9 on Raspberry Pi3 w/200GB SD
    5 Receivers, 1 Boom, 2 Radios, 1 Controller, 1 iPhone & 1 iPad w/iPeng, 1 Android phone w/Squeezer

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHart View Post
    If you have Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education you should be able to configure it to single app kiosk mode, should get rid of the issues you have with SqueezePlay on Windows

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...osk-single-app
    I tried to do this before I decided to go the Linux route. Unfortunately, only Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps that weren't created using the Desktop App Converter are compatible.