Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Squeezebox Classic (SB3) Repair Considerations

Hi there,

I've created another blog entry on Squeezebox Classic (SB3) typical issues and how to resolve them.
    It can be found here:

https://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/...x-classic.html

Let me know if you find anything wrong or missing. It's a work in progress.

Cheers,
    Joe

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

LMS 7.9.0 on Windows Server 2012
    1x Squezeebox Classic SB2
    8x Squeezebox Classic SB3 (3 waiting for repair)
    8x Squeezebox Boom (one dead, one waiting for repair)
    1x Transporter
    2x Controller (one waiting for repair)
    3x Touch (1 dead, 1 waiting for repair)
    2x Radio (1 dead)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMuc2009 View Post
    Hi there,

I've created another blog entry on Squeezebox Classic (SB3) typical issues and how to resolve them.
    It can be found here:

https://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/...x-classic.html

Cheers,
    Joe
    Here is a little more guidelines on replacement WLAN card. I think compatible chipsets included AR2413 to AR5212. The retail match was TP-Link TL-WN560G but not a WN360G. Also looking for physically similar cards (i.e same layout,shield, antenna locations) on pchub (http://www.pchub.com/uph/category/27...?ps=100&type=0 ) - there are planty of old laptop WLAN card that look physically similar only costs maybe about Ç5/$5 such as
    Packard Bell 17-000660
    Toshiba 17-000660
    ACER AR5BMB5
    Sparklan WMIA-165G
    Sony Vaio VGN-FS515H Internal WLAN WIFI Wireless Card Board 178901432 AR5BMB5
    Compex WLM54G 6AA1300 (although this has higher power output which might be a problem for player power supply)

I replaced a faulty WLAN card by a Packard Bell 17-000660 (google "wireless 17-000660" images)

Hello,
    I am wondering where can you find the Noritake MN32032A (the display for the Squeezebox classic) in Europe.
    Cheers
    Luca

Quote Originally Posted by lvicini View Post
    Hello,
    I am wondering where can you find the Noritake MN32032A (the display for the Squeezebox classic) in Europe.
    Cheers
    Luca
    I have made very good experience with the German sales office which is one of the few in Europe at all. You can e-mail them at munich@noritake.de.

Regards,
    Joe

1x Transporter
    2x Radio (1 dead)

Hi Joe,

thanks for the tip. I will contact them.
    By the way, your blog is absolutely amazing.

Thank you so much
    Luca

Great Post!

Hey Joe

Great post and even better Blog, with such detailed repair instructions.

I also own several Squeezbox 3 (Classic) devices. I now have a problem with one of them. After a few hours of just being on standby the display turns off, and it won't react on any command until I unplug the power and plug it in again. After that, it runs for antoher few hours (sometimes even 24 hours..) but not much longer. I already replaced the power supply but it did not help, stil the same. I even reset the whole Slim, and today I tried now the Xilinx reset and hope this helps, but if not, any other ideas what it could be, that it just goes dark after some hours?

Best regards.
    Patrick

Hi there,

It can be found here:

Cheers,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by madpad View Post
    Hey Joe

Great post and even better Blog, with such detailed repair instructions.

I also own several Squeezbox 3 (Classic) devices. I now have a problem with one of them. After a few hours of just being on standby the display turns off, and it won't react on any command until I unplug the power and plug it in again. After that, it runs for antoher few hours (sometimes even 24 hours..) but not much longer. I already replaced the power supply but it did not help, stil the same. I even reset the whole Slim, and today I tried now the Xilinx reset and hope this helps, but if not, any other ideas what it could be, that it just goes dark after some hours?

Best regards.
    Patrick
    Hi Patrick,

okay, and you are sure that it no longer reacts? It's not just the display that goes dark? Does playback cut off in the middle of playing?
    Because it's a huge difference between a SB that crashes and one that fails to power its display whereas anything else is fine.
    The display power circuitry might have issues similar to the Boom. However, the fix that I have found for the Boom circuitry does not work properly in the Classic. I never had any Classic with this sort of failure though, so there are no advice yet.

Best regards,
    Joe

1x Transporter
    2x Radio (1 dead)

Hi Patrick,

okay, and you are sure that it no longer reacts? It's not just the display that goes dark? Does playback cut off in the middle of playing?
    Because it's a huge difference between a SB that crashes and one that fails to power its display whereas anything else is fine.
    The display power circuitry might have issues similar to the Boom. However, the fix that I have found for the Boom circuitry does not work properly in the Classic. I never had any Classic with this sort of failure though, so there are no advice yet.

Best regards,
    Joe
    Hey Joe

I did some more testing, and yes the device is completly offline and does not react to anything. I can't ping it nor will it react to any remote control actions.
    Until now I never catched it when it was playing, as when I get home, it's offline. I disconnect power and connect it again. Listen to music. I go to bed, and in the morning it is gone again... But I could let it play over night, and check if it's offline in the morning or not. But perhaps it will go dark anyhow.

Thanks and best regards.
    Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Best regards,
    Joe
    Hey Joe

So I thought let's add 500 songs to play during the night, so I'm sure it would be playing in the morning. After I hit play, it started playing for about 15 seconds, and it got dark (offline) again. I could not ping the IP anymore. But now something new happend, it just rebooted, and came up with the first song of my 500 songs again. But it did not start playing. I just left it like that, and after a minute, it rebooted again, without me doing anything. So at the moment, it reboots constantly always after about 1 minute. That was never the case before, when I did not play anything.

Thanks for your guess.

Best regards.
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by madpad View Post
    Hey Joe

So I thought let's add 500 songs to play during the night, so I'm sure it would be playing in the morning. After I hit play, it started playing for about 15 seconds, and it got dark (offline) again. I could not ping the IP anymore. But now something new happend, it just rebooted, and came up with the first song of my 500 songs again. But it did not start playing. I just left it like that, and after a minute, it rebooted again, without me doing anything. So at the moment, it reboots constantly always after about 1 minute. That was never the case before, when I did not play anything.

Thanks for your guess.

Best regards.
    Patrick
    Sounds like the usual internal capacitor issue ...
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5