Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    hi maeffjus,

From your pictures it looks like the large capacitor has a bulged top. This is a problem, in a while, it will explode or leak. Have you connect it reverse voltage?

Anyway, I hope it is just an optical allusion.

Have you thought about using a breadboard to get your prototype working before soldering? That's what I do. No matter how careful I am, I always seem to connect things up wrong the first time.

regards
    Greg

Hi Greg,

thanks for the answer. The capacitors bulged to is a optical illusion by the picture. I well understand what you mean, but in fact it is perfectly flat.
    Sure, what I did, I had connected (soldering is also quite quick) the PLAY button to the board and it worked just perfect.
    The I started soldering one after another (as it is each just the signal-wire) to the board and simultaneously writing the correct BCM numbers into the daemon-command string.

So what I can not understand is, that the buttons act so incredibly weird. I mean, I have no components in-between and also there is just one wire for each button to the Pi.

The only thing I don't know about, if it can cause a problem is that the signal between the button and GND changes from short-circuit / bridged to +3V.
    (When pressing the button).
    Regards,
    Maeffjus

I don't know what's inside your button but could it be switch bounce ? In which case you will need to debounce the button.

If you are unware of switch bounce see https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tec...-deal-with-it/

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I don't know what's inside your button but could it be switch bounce ? In which case you will need to debounce the button.

If you are unware of switch bounce see https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tec...-deal-with-it/
    In fact it is not a real physical button. These are TTP223 touch-sensors:
    See here...: https://datasheet.lcsc.com/szlcsc/TTP223-BA6_C80757.pdf (This is the chip)
    This is the button: https://www.instructables.com/id/Tut...le-Capacitive/

Regards;
    Matthias

Simplify to isolate the issue.

You could write a simple program just to check that switches work correctly, independently and prove there is no interaction between switches. - a simple loop polling the relevant GPIO pins for a change and then print status of all relevant GPIO pins.

Then a second prog could be written to check you only get one edge for each button press.

edit:

Perhaps this utility might be used to test "raw" button function http://wiringpi.com/the-gpio-utility/
    Last edited by bpa; 2018-12-04 at 08:06.

My experience with Cap touch sensors is that they are extremely touchy. I tried many different options and then opted for mechanical switches on one of my radios.

I think you said you were using SqueezebuttonPI, run it in the forground (Don't daemonize) with verbose output turned on, and you should see all of the button pushes coming in.

sbpd also has a 50ms software debounce built in to the button pushes.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Matthias,

That looks awesome.. when you get this sorted out I would really like some more info as I'd like to make something similar.

What is the center button? Are you able to browse the menus, select music, etc from that interface?

I have been considering just a rotary encoder on the wall for volume with a push button for pause. and maybe a second button to switch inputs. I love the mini display.

I had planned to only allow browsing menus/selecting music via phone app or web interface. But now you have me thinking about being able to do that from the wall interface as well.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by maeffjus View Post
    Hi Greg,

thanks for the answer. The capacitors bulged to is a optical illusion by the picture. I well understand what you mean, but in fact it is perfectly flat.
    Sure, what I did, I had connected (soldering is also quite quick) the PLAY button to the board and it worked just perfect.
    The I started soldering one after another (as it is each just the signal-wire) to the board and simultaneously writing the correct BCM numbers into the daemon-command string.

So what I can not understand is, that the buttons act so incredibly weird. I mean, I have no components in-between and also there is just one wire for each button to the Pi.

The only thing I don't know about, if it can cause a problem is that the signal between the button and GND changes from short-circuit / bridged to +3V.
    (When pressing the button).
    Regards,
    Maeffjus
    Hi Maeffjus,

Good news on the cap!

Do you need pull up or pull down resistors with these capacitive switches? With normal switches you do. This insures that the value on the GPIO pin is either 0v or 3.3v not floating. There is an option of setting the internal GPIO pull up or pull down resistors in software. Another point is, a couple of the GPIO already have external pull up or pull down resistor installed on the RPi PCB.

regards
    Greg

Thanks for all the help guys! Let me go through it:

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    My experience with Cap touch sensors is that they are extremely touchy.
    ...run it in the forground (Don't daemonize) with verbose output turned on, and you should see all of the button pushes coming in.
    I agree with you, very touchy... but the plastic cap will be lit slightly when the button is active. So I can see they are not during being not touched!
    For the verbose output, will this work in PUTTY - I think it should, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by gregklanderman View Post
    Matthias,
    What is the center button? Are you able to browse the menus, select music, etc from that interface? Greg
    It is a mechanical switch, killing VCC for the Pi and the buttons to do a hard reset / reboot.
    I can not brwose anywhere, just the functions indicated on the buttons.
    I just wanted to be able to play, pause, FWD, RWD, VOL+, VOL- without using my mobile each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Do you need pull up or pull down resistors with these capacitive switches? With normal switches you do. This insures that the value on the GPIO pin is either 0v or 3.3v not floating. There is an option of setting the internal GPIO pull up or pull down resistors in software. Another point is, a couple of the GPIO already have external pull up or pull down resistor installed on the RPi PCB.
    No idea if I need them :-) It seems that nothing happens until I push the buttons! But then it goes wild & weird.
    My first guess was a fried GPIO so I used a brand new Pi, but the problem persists.
    The only thing I don't know is, maybe somehow the press of a button will also introduce some current into others, however this can happen.
    Do you know how to pull down the resistors?
    I'm using the GPIO's 23 Play, 22 rew, 24 fwd, 25 vol+, 27 pwr, 17 vol- (acc. to BCM layout).
    Regards,
    Maeffjus

The pullup/down resistors are set via sbpd. (If that is what you are still using)

GPIO 2 & 3 have internal pull up resistors.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer