Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

picoreplayer - MQTT thermometer (dallas 1wire ds18b20)

Hi
    I'm sure someone has done this....
    I'd like to add thermometers to my picoreplayers around the house using the ds18b20 (dallas 1-wire) and MQTT.

Searching has turned up very little, I found and installed the w1-4.9.50-pcpAudioCore extension, but it's doesn't appear to work.
    Any helpful advice would be most appreciated
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saneangel View Post
    Hi
    I'm sure someone has done this....
    I'd like to add thermometers to my picoreplayers around the house using the ds18b20 (dallas 1-wire) and MQTT.

Searching has turned up very little, I found and installed the w1-4.9.50-pcpAudioCore extension, but it's doesn't appear to work.
    Any helpful advice would be most appreciated
    Thanks
    No idea, we provide drivers, but have no hardware to test. Did you load the kernel modules?
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    No idea, we provide drivers, but have no hardware to test. Did you load the kernel modules?
    I installed w1-4.9.50-pcpAudioCore through the picoreplayer web GUI
    On a regular R-Pi installation I have added 1-wire support through raspi-config and then I see /sys/bus/w1/devices - which I don't see on picoreplayer.

I appreciate this is a completely different build, so just wondering if anyone has had any success with 1-wire devices

I've used the ds18b20 sensor on vanilla piCore. Did you "modprobe w1-gpio"? From my old notes I added:

to /opt/bootsync.sh (not sure why I put it here vs /opt/bootlocal.sh)
    ----------------------
    modprobe w1-gpio

-- Loading the w1-gpio module also gets gpio4 all set to read the temperature:
    tc@pi_temp:/sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/28-000005bcc89d$ cat w1_slave
    a0 01 4b 46 7f ff 10 10 6e : crc=6e YES
    a0 01 4b 46 7f ff 10 10 6e t=26000

Quote Originally Posted by sodface View Post
    I've used the ds18b20 sensor on vanilla piCore. Did you "modprobe w1-gpio"? From my old notes I added:

to /opt/bootsync.sh (not sure why I put it here vs /opt/bootlocal.sh)
    ----------------------
    modprobe w1-gpio

-- Loading the w1-gpio module also gets gpio4 all set to read the temperature:
    tc@pi_temp:/sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/28-000005bcc89d$ cat w1_slave
    a0 01 4b 46 7f ff 10 10 6e : crc=6e YES
    a0 01 4b 46 7f ff 10 10 6e t=26000
    That sounds like exactly what I'm trying to do, and if I can get to that point I'll be a happy man.
    tc@piCorePlayer:~$ modprobe w1-gpio
    modprobe: FATAL: Module w1-gpio not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.56-rt34-pcpAudioCore

I'm guessing the installation of the w1-4.9.22-pcpCore.tcz isn't working/active - I assume that's what I need for w1 support.
    I've used tce in a shell to verify it's installed, but now I'm a little stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by saneangel View Post
    That sounds like exactly what I'm trying to do, and if I can get to that point I'll be a happy man.
    tc@piCorePlayer:~$ modprobe w1-gpio
    modprobe: FATAL: Module w1-gpio not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.56-rt34-pcpAudioCore

I'm guessing the installation of the w1-4.9.22-pcpCore.tcz isn't working/active - I assume that's what I need for w1 support.
    I've used tce in a shell to verify it's installed, but now I'm a little stumped.
    It looks like the w1 tcz you installed is for a different kernel version based on the path it gives you in the modprobe error. Here's the matching tcz from the pCP repo:

https://repo.picoreplayer.org/repo/9...pAudioCore.tcz

I monitor remotely my room temp with this USB thermometer, installed on my Raspberry players:

http://www.yoctopuce.com/EN/products...to-temperature
    Madamina, il catalogo Ŕ questo... town: Musical Fidelity Dr.Thomas, Preamp II, Infinity 7K, Squeezebox Classic (2), 2 Squeezelite bt on Raspi, Raspberry Pi 2 with HiFiBerry, Ubuntu 18.4 LTS server
    country: Musical Fidelity A-5, Infinity Renaissance 90, Musical Fidelity A120, Sonus Faber Concertino, Squeezebox Classic, SB Touch, Raspberry Pi 2 with HiFiBerry, Raspberry Pi Zero-w bt, Raspberry Pi 3 server with Debian Jessie on Arm7

Quote Originally Posted by sodface View Post
    It looks like the w1 tcz you installed is for a different kernel version based on the path it gives you in the modprobe error. Here's the matching tcz from the pCP repo:

https://repo.picoreplayer.org/repo/9...pAudioCore.tcz
    Incompatible versions was the problem, I also needed a small addition to config.txt:
    dtoverlay=w1-gpio-pullup
    Thanks for the help.

Next to get MQTT working.....